Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Why don't you just find a private official translator....there are some fast cheap one out there

None of the ones I found did the registration part. They just do the translation part.

Hi first of all thanks a lot for this beautiful information. what do you mean by (Original of your Birth Certificate (Long Form), which must have been issued within the previous 180 days or it will not be considered valid in Brazil) do I have to make a new birth certificate ?  or will the birth certificate automatically be issued when it is being legalized and authenticate by the THE CONSULADO-GERAL DO BRASIL

They require a certified copy of your birth certificate from the authority where it is registered.

Jim

I live currently in Florida. I was born in Minneapolis Minnesota. Went to the Hennepin county website and saw how to order a copy of my birth certificate. I got this Original Certified Copy of my birth certificate. mailed to me. Then I had to send my birth certificate to the Brazilian consulate in Chicago (because they handle documents from Minnesota.) along with the appropriate check. And I believe a return envelope (not sure about that). But they stamped the birth certificate, which at that point had been issued within the last 30 days (and it has to be within 180 days). Once it has the stamp the clock stops and it's official. Even years later to my understanding. As long as a Brazilian consulate or embassy certifies it within 180 days of issue. Also note I sent to Chicago NOT the consulate in Miami. If you look at your local consulate's site they will have instructions.

Today, because Brazil is signatory to the Apostille Treaty, the process is to obtain the certified copy of your birth certificate and take it to the proper authority and have the Apostille affixed. I paid less than $50US for mine when my parents picked them up for me in December.

When you get here, the important thing to remember is to grill your translator about the registration of the originals and translation at the cartorio de Titulos e Documentos part of the process.

We grilled Cartorio Mais on several occasions over a week before choosing them solely because they assured us all 4-5 times that we asked over that week that the R$480 they were charging us included this service. When the documents were finally returned "officially translated" there was no "çela" showing the registration had been done.

They then commenced to insist that they had repeatedly told us the registration portion was a new service and that it was separate from the translation because the person requesting the translation could go to the cartorio or send someone in their place; it wasn't something that required the services of a cartorio outside of the special one in Santos.

Long story short, as far as Cartorio Mais wants us to believe, I paid them R$480 for the "Tadução Juramentada" (sworn or official translation, which requires certification by the state.) although I had a quote of R$250 in 5 days-including over Carnaval- and R$350 for 3 days-again including it being Carnaval-from someone else. These last 2 told me that they didn't do or offer the registration part. I would have to do that on my own. And I ended up having to pay them another R$190 (because the other cartorio also doesn't offer this service) to have one of their people hand carry my documentos to the cartorio in Santos for registration and then pick them up 4 business days later when Santos had taken the time to look at them and affix their "çela" (the one the cartorio that does the weddings told me hadn't been affixed when I went  to them with the translated documents to start the wedding process. Those have been looked at and approved by the clerk at the wedding cartorio. The male clerk I spoke with earlier had told me that he had ordered the "atualazação" of my fiance's divorce and that it would be ready to be paid for and picked up when we come back with the documents ready. He lied. They have to be paid for before their order is official. He never gave me the receipt to go to the payment window to pay, so it was never ordered although he said it was.

I still don't understand why this is a multi-day process instead of there and done, considering the document is a file on the server that simply needs to be printed and have the signatures and seals and stamps affixed, as well as the date printed/issued. It's not like there's a large offsite document storage area with dozens of copies of official documents just waiting to have one pulled from storage and "officially" issued to the requester. Simply put the proper paper in the printer, push "Print" and select that printer and Violá!, recently issued copy of the requested document in 10-30 seconds ready for the signatures, çelas, and stamps required to make it completely official and show the document's date of issue.

I'm hoping for the call today saying it's ready and we'll go in tomorrow with our "witnesses" to officially file the documents and pay the fee to get the appointment for our wedding date. Once we have that receipt, we can start the PF ball rolling, by filling out the documents online and printing the boletos for certain charges and make the appointment for us to go to the PF in Santos and file the documents and get my CIE. Somewhere in there i have to pay my fine for overstaying my tourist visa. Supposedly, after I leave Santos, I can come and go as  I please, as long as we get married as scheduled and I don't stay outside of Brazil for more than 24 months at a time and also don't get arrested for committing a crime. I don't see a problem with any of that.

I am a foreigner  too with RNE based on marriage and I am divorced with my Brazilian wife and now married to my wife who is also a foreigner.  We married here in brazil . Can my wife apply for RNE based on marriage with me ?

So the Apostille thing works

I'm starting the citizenship process and also need a documented from outside Brazil, South Africa is also part of the agreement

So it's true thats all you need now?

Also I've never had to deal with this registration of Translations at a cartorio before?

the paper I got says : Traduzidos por tradutor Publico Juramento ( for south African issued police certificate)

I understand that at translated by a sworn translator?

" The original Birth Certificate must be LEGALIZED BY THE CONSULADO-GERAL DO BRASIL in the country where it is issued AND THEN IT MUST ALSO BE AUTHENTICATED BY THE ISSUING COUNTRY'S CONSULATE IN BRAZIL or DEPT. OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS if done in the issuing nation."

Does the document needs to be legalized from embassies of both residence country and Brazil? If so does the person need to go to CONSULATE IN BRAZIL or can It be done online by sending the document through courier?

If your country is part of the Hague convention you only need to get it apostilled. I just went through the process and had several documents apotilled and all went well. The brazilian consulate in your country will no longer legalize if the country has joined the hague convention.

cool thanks

We go tomorrow afternoon to pay and make the appointment for our wedding.

We were married in the US and are registering our marriage at the consulate next week. Then I'll get my documents apostiled to be used in Brazil and apply for my permanent residency. I'm thinking of just apostiling the marriage certificate (ofc), and also my birth certificate. What other forms may be useful in getting apostiled?

No one can give me a straight answer so I'm going to ask here. I need to get my birth certificate and my marriage certificate but when I called my state's apostille office they said they had to be originals. But what if you dont have originals? Can I use certified copies?

Also my birth certificate was issued from the state, but the marriage license was issued in another's part of the state.

Certified copies are what they want. They will have the official seal of the office where you get them. you cannot make copies of them for submission. It has to be the original one with the seal.

Jim

So when I go to the department of state I can apostille certified copies? Also should I go to the consulate for registering my marriage or the state department for apostille first ?

State Department first. Get everything apostilled. In California it was only $22 each document.

We go to the cartorio with our "witnesses" this afternoon to pay the fee and schedule our wedding.

Sounds good thank you! I'm waiting until my marriage license is available from the state department of vital stats to get my docs apostilled ($40 for each). Then I'll go to the consulate to register the marriage.

And good luck!! We will triumph over the beauracratic madness

AFter registering my marriage in the consulate do we also need to register our marriage in Brazil at the cartório?

How long does it take to register the marriage at the consulate?

It's actuallty really simple and really quick

Apply to the Brazilian consulate now for your Permanent residence

Its so easy, no need to translate or legalize any documents
It takes about 3 weeks to Issue the viper visa then you are set
Your gonna need to take a copy of your visa application form to FP in Brazil too
You will have to register the viper within 30 days of arrival with the estrangeiros department of Policia Federal in your city in Brazl

Do NOT try to do it in Brazil, it is so much simpler  and cheaper to get it outside brazil at a consulate

you give them your full unabridged marriage certificate and they will register it and give you a
a kind of green official paper registering the marriage.

You take this to a Cartorio to get your Brazilian Marriage certificate, it takes a few days.

The Brazilian marriage certificate is everything, with this document they can never ask you to leave the country no matter what your visa status.....getting the permanent visa and other documents afterwards is reall just a formality

But really it's not that complicated if you do it by the book,
Brazil is actually super relaxed/lenient with these immigration things

Try to get a visa for the UK to live there a Spouse, it's becoming vitually impossible

South Africa , my country requires a period of marriage of 5 years! before you can get permanent status

Not many countries dish it out as easily as Brazil does

The permanent status is actually very important. It's true that you won't be put out due to marriage but you still have to apply for permanency or you will accumulate fines and if you do happen to leave for a trip out of the country you will have to accumulate days again on your visa.

Jim

Your marriage has to be registered at the Cartorio. Once you come to Brazil.

Jim

Ours took about 5 days. I'm thinking all you have to do is apostille it now instead of the consulate. You will find that out when you go there.

Jim

Well I need to go to the consulate to register the marriage anyway. And then go to the cartório when I get to Brazil to show them and then the permanency stuff

But I am going to go to get the apostilled first (it only takes two days) and then I'll go to register the marriage. And then the permanency in Brazil begins :p

Get the apostille

But my experience was if you submit your documents to Brazilian consulate that were issued in the country of that consulate they require no translation or legalization

We got married in the U.S. and are going to Brazil in June, so that's why we need to register the marriage with the consulate. But I'm waiting for the marriage certificate to be ready (which will unfortunately take a few weeks). But at least the apostille process and registration process will only take a few days at most.

True , but as long as you have the marriage certificate you can always attain permanent status.

We went to the cartorio yesterday. Almost 2 hours and R$400 later, we have a wedding date. April 17th @ 1:30PM.  It sounds like I'm going to have to wear nice long pants and a button down shirt for this. Apparently not the rules of the cartorio, but of the person who I share a bed with.

Congratulations Mike. Been praying all goes well for the 2 of you. Best of luck

Good luck and congrats !!!

Thank you guys.

Mike congratulations once carterio gave the marriage date that is it from that day they can't expel from the person from
The country even his visa expired ?

Thank you. I think so. I won't feel secure until after the wedding though.

Just to refresh my memory, how long does the permanent visa last before you have to get it renewed? Also have a any of you heard about the new Brazilian document that will replace all other docs? Will that effect our applications?

Also I'm going to Brazil in June to apply for permanent residency based on my marriage that took place in the US. so far we've gotten married and then we just need to get the marriage license apostilled go to the consulate to register the marriage and then to the PF in Brazil correct? Are there any steps I'm missing? Do we need to go to the cartório at all?

Do we need to get documents translated before going o to the PF if they're apostilled?

http://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direitos … brasileira

question, is this still relevant? it says that that the decision will be posted in the federal official gazette once a decision is made? so we have to stay up to date with that to see if we're allowed permanency? or has this changed and we just get the approval at the appointment?

Cheyenne,
The permanent visa RNE is forever but the CIE (card) expires every 10 years until you reach the age of 60 then it never expires.  As far as the new document to replace everything. I don't know about that. you will need to go to the Cartório with your apostilled documents from your marriage.

Jim