Do I need a Visas B4 going to Panama ?

...and if so where do I get one. I'm just visiting for now but I qualify for the retirement Visa in case I decide to stay. I just want to get there first. I want to leave as early as next week but can wait if I must.

Your tourist visa is good for 180 days - nothing in advance necessary.

Awesome thank you. Nathan

You just need an passport to start. If you want to get a pensionado visa start by getting a lawyer. It takes about a year to get the visa. Even if you return home the process has started.

We have made two trips to Panama to scout out areas to retire to.  In January, with an attorney, we are making another trip to run from office to office starting the VISA process (Pensionado).  Hope to obtain the temporary one in the five business days he is requesting we be in Panama City, and then we wait four to six months in hopes of getting our permanent VISA.  We decided to start the process while still working and making money in hopes that once in Panama for good (2015), this task will be behind us.  Good luck!

That is so smart Alli,

Hey how's the house hunting coming along? I'm opting for a nice rental. I once asked someone how much a nice apartment rented for and never actually got an answer. I suppose when I get there I will try and post for folks what rentals are going for so everyone will have a rounded idea.

Good Luck with the paper work. I here from rumor that the gov't will even help with your move provided you are getting the retirement visa...That's what I'm seeking.

Nathan

We were told by one attorney to start the process now before change in government JUST IN CASE the rules and laws change like they do so often :)
And once we realized that we don't have to be in Panama when applying for VISA, we thought why not do it now in hopes that it works out by the time we get there permanently. 
As far as housing goes, we will rent somewhere (take a trip ahead of time to scout out rentals--we have ideas of either El Valle or Coronado depending on what we find) first and perhaps for a very long time.  Who knows.  We haven't been to Boquete yet (have gone as far as Pedasi), so we may even rent there for six months after renting closer to PC first.  Stay tuned!
Rentals run the gamut of a few hundred dollars to over a thousand to two if you want a high rise condo in the city.  Check out encuentra.com (sort of like craigslist here).

What part of Panama are you considering? Panama City is expensive. Other areas are less, maybe much less in rural areas. We are in David. You can get a very basic house for maybe $250. We're in a nice neighborhood that's considered expensive by many locals - $385. It will be $100-200 more for a similar house if it's furnished. Bigger, fancier places are available, but for more, even $1000+ if you want to live in the "Beverly Hills" type neighborhood. Boquete, nice mountain town full of expats near us is more expensive, maybe $600-1200 depending on size, condition, location, if furnished, etc. We have a friend in a small town west of us paying $200 for his house. So, it depends on where you are and what you want.

If you have a retirement visa the government won't charge you a bunch of import fees on things you ship here. You have to pay your own shipping costs.

You can stay here with only your passport, but your drivers license is good for 90 days. Your passport/visa is good for 180. But, if you leave the country and get your passport stamped, you're good for another 90/180 days, even if you only had lunch in Costa Rica. I've known people who have been here for years just by getting their passport stamped as needed. But, like everything in Panama, check out the latest rules because sometimes they change.

Kris

sirrobcentral wrote:

That is so smart Alli,

Hey how's the house hunting coming along? I'm opting for a nice rental. I once asked someone how much a nice apartment rented for and never actually got an answer. I suppose when I get there I will try and post for folks what rentals are going for so everyone will have a rounded idea.

Good Luck with the paper work. I here from rumor that the gov't will even help with your move provided you are getting the retirement visa...That's what I'm seeking.

Nathan

No visa is required to visit Panama for a US citizen. You can stay for 6 months but you can only drive for 90 days. However you can take a bus to Costa Rica very cheaply and return to panama. This resets your stay to another 6 months and your driving privileges for another 90 days. This way you can live here indefinitely if you wish to do so. However there are many advantages to getting a Pensionado visa in Panama.
If I may, I would recommend Boquete over Panama city as the weather is warm here all year whereas Panama City is always hot and very humid.

Nathan,
I read your profile because I wanted to see what country you are from to answer your visa question accurately. Yes, as a N. American you do not need a visa.

Not sure what luxury you desire but I wouldn't move to Panama if your main concern is saving money to live luxuriously. Yes, it's cheaper here depending, but there are things here that are very different and can be a real aggravation. The first thing that is needed is a shift of emphasis away from things and towards people.

Plus prices are rising here for sure because we on on the fiat dollar and because things are booming.

Also be careful of your lifestyle-you don't want to stick out too much. You already will as a N. American.