Stability, predictability and confidence

Stability, predictability and confidence: these are the best tools available to stimulate growth.

-- Hungarian National Bank President András Simor

Last year's Randstad's Workmonitor shows that 94% of Hungarian employees label the economic situation as "bad".

How do you, as an expat, see your future in Hungary: both short and long term?

klsallee wrote:

How do you, as an expat, see your future in Hungary: both short and long term?

INStability, UNpredictability and LACK OF confidence says it all really. As a foreigner, I don't vote here, but things are quite bad when extremists or nutters get significant votes.

Because Mrs Fluffy and the Fluffyettes are locals, then I guess I'm permanently involved to some degree. Mrs Fluffy and I are always wondering if we should invest anything further here - buy  flats or holiday homes for rental, start a business etc or should we put the money in triple-A rated bonds or simply invest otherwise elsewhere.

I guess the old adage of not putting your eggs in one basket - at least in the short term (<~7 years) - is pretty important in Hungary. Longer term (>=~20 years), it's probably a more reasonable bet but not for the nervous investor.

Quite an old thread, but I think this is the most fitting one to announce to anyone interested that I just landed a job in Montreal and am leaving Hungary to raise my kids to be Canadians instead.

I am leaving a great job at a great local company (see my ad under "IT->Developers"), they are expanding, so alert your friends in IT!

szocske wrote:

Quite an old thread, but I think this is the most fitting one to announce to anyone interested that I just landed a job in Montreal and am leaving Hungary to raise my kids to be Canadians instead.

I am leaving a great job at a great local company (see my ad under "IT->Developers"), they are expanding, so alert your friends in IT!

Congrats on the new job! Your kids will be trilingual in Montreal.

It's probably the right thing to do considering all things here in HU although I think you'll find the weather rather worse than here (currently anyway).

szocske wrote:

I just landed a job in Montreal and am leaving Hungary

Is your reason for leaving because of better expected stability, predictability and confidence in Canada compared to Hungary? I think future readers would like to hear your opinions more in detail. I know some abroad living Hungarians who returned to Hungary expecting more and are now, or considering, leaving for these (and other) reasons. Your input is appreciated.

That's pretty much it. And the discouraging tendencies in education, healthcare, private enterprise, human rights, rule of law, liberty, equality, fraternity... What is not catastrophic now, is likely to be soon, or during the next term of Viktor Orban, which most polls predict is inevitable. And with most voters trusting the state-run TV channels as their only source of information, I see no logical reason to doubt another landslide victory on the next elections.

It's not 100% ideological of course: it was almost time for the kids to get immersed in a new culture and soak up a new language or two. We just rushed it a bit because we got scared.