Price of motorbikes in Hungary?

Price of motorbikes in Hungary?

I am a bit confused as some seam cheap against the price in the UK. Then I look at others and they are the same or slightly higher than the UK.

1) Are second hand motorbikes cheaper than in the UK?

2) What are the best website to buy a motorbike in Hungary?

Any help would be useful

Kind regards
Mark

If you can read Hungarian then check out varta.hu.
They sell just about everything.
Not sure about prices on used bikes here.
Haven't really rode much since the late 60's when my parents were just about killed on their old Harley in S. Cal.( That bike would be worth gold now, if only for parts)
Known way too many people in Cali. who barely lived after getting hit by a car while riding their bikes.
Just way too scary for me these days...

try this site....you can find motorbikes there.
I'm a rider and I find this the best site so far

https://www.hasznaltauto.hu/https://www.hasznaltauto.hu/kereso/motor

Stay safe.stay upright  :)

I have not really compared prices of bikes but vehicles in general are more expensive in Hungary than in UK. If you are living in Hungary and want a bike it would be best to buy one locally, as it is quite complicated to get a vehicle from elsewhere registered in Hungary. Bike insurance is very much cheaper in Hungary so the overall cost of getting a bike and making it road legal will be lower.

fidobsa wrote:

I have not really compared prices of bikes but vehicles in general are more expensive in Hungary than in UK. If you are living in Hungary and want a bike it would be best to buy one locally, as it is quite complicated to get a vehicle from elsewhere registered in Hungary. Bike insurance is very much cheaper in Hungary so the overall cost of getting a bike and making it road legal will be lower.

I suspect a lot of cars (and bikes) are clocked here. 

So a car with 50k km on it is probably more like 150k km.

Always Caveat Emptor.

I don't know how it works in the UK but here in Hungary you also must have a motorbike driving license that is different then a normal passenger car license. Same in the US have to get tested at the DMV to ride a motorcycle.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I don't know how it works in the UK but here in Hungary you also must have a motorbike driving license that is different then a normal passenger car license. Same in the US have to get tested at the DMV to ride a motorcycle.

It's mostly the same everywhere in the EU as well as they harmonised the categories. I don't think that a licence is a requirement here for small mopeds.   

Maybe there's an exception in the UK you need a licence (USA:license) for a moped  (<50cc engine, limited to about 30 mph). If you have a car licence then you automatically get a licence category for moped.  One also gets a licence for some other other things like self-propelled mowing machines.

For older licence holders (I got my licence a long time ago), I automatically have a licence to drive a truck up to 7.5 tonnes - these were considered like cars at one point.

But I don't have a motorcycle licence as in my biking days, you could drive a motorcycle up to 250cc as a learner - this is what I used to do. Now, I believe you can only drive a motorcycle up to 125cc as a learner on your car licence or on a provisional licence (the UK phrase for a learners permit).

Like I said, not sure anymore about HU law but it is a law in the US and it used to be one in Hungary.
My husband has 11 endorsements on his HU driving license.
He had to spend days on driving different vehicles with a instructor to pass his professional driving test years back.
All his paperwork is still valid although I sort of doubt he wishes to drive a bus or motorbike any longer.
In the US he had to add a endorsement onto hi US driving paperwork to legally drive a motorbike in NV.
We had bought a used motorbike in NM on a whim, not the best thing to do buying anything on a whim.Some small engine bike so he could ride the old back roads to work , he thought it would be fun.
Well, I rode on the back one way, he had to go home and collect the car to bring me home, I refused to hop onto the back after that wild ride in the desert.
Guess we are getting too old for motorbikes, not  fun like it used to be, of course it wasn't a very nice bike he bought, not a serious bike.
My 70 year old sister still rides her bike in good weather but I think my days of enjoying seeing the pavement fly by my feet are long gone.
My parents had 3 bikes at once in the 60's, a Honda, a Harley and a Java.
after a car crashed into them they sold all 3 bikes. My step-dad got himself a brand new nose though along with a rebuilt shoulder... Both were lucky to not get killed that day.
My step- dad didn't need any special papers to ride in the 60's. He started to ride in the 50's. My husband's step-dad used to ride here in HU in the 40's and 50's.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Like I said, not sure anymore about HU law but it is a law in the US and it used to be one in Hungary....
.... didn't need any special papers to ride in the 60's. He started to ride in the 50's. My husband's step-dad used to ride here in HU in the 40's and 50's.

I corrected my earlier post.  Being Xmas Day there are so many distractions. You do need a licence for larger bikes.

My Dad never actually passed his civilian driving test.  He had a  military driving test in about 1940 and that was transferable way back then. The driving age in the military was 16 (normally in the UK, it's 17).  They just gave the civilian licences out to everyone who could drive after the war. Then it started to get all formal. I also had a military driving licence - all I had to do was drive down a road,  turnaround and come back.  Took about 5 minutes.

I sold my bike after I came off it on a suburban street. I was riding too fast and skidded on a drain cover.  I hit my head on the kerb (I was wearing a proper helmet).  Maybe that's the reason why I've never been right in the head since!   All shaken not stirred.

Lucky for you, had a friend who was at a stop light on his motorbike when a car hit him from behind, no helmet and he hit the curb with his skull. Had a plate put in his head, got married and had a baby girl then shot himself in the head. Autopsy showed a tumor growing under the metal plate in his skull. So sad, only 21 years old. Second person aged 21 I knew that shot themselves in the parents living rooms, what's with shocking your parents like that?
Lucky we have hard heads... It's wonder I am still functioning with all the head injuries I have had over the years. Tossed off a horse, hit in a teenage school yard fight over the head with a thick history book, my sister told me she dropped me on my head as a baby and never told anyone.That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
My bro was riding his brand new Honda, a really nice big one, probably too much power for a new rider when he slammed into the back of a school bus. He was on his way to the insurance co. to buy coverage too.
Totalled the bike and shook himself up so much he never rode again.
Yes, they make you go through a driving test for a motorbike here, guess you go around cones and make sharp turns etc. All to see how well you can handle the bike.
In NYC in the early 70's my husband got his US driving papers. They didn't even put a photo on the license back then. Hate to admit it but a few of his "friends" borrowed his papers because there was no photo. I am against so many regulations in life but that was a bit too much.
Strange to see all the changes over the years, now they probably know your credit score,blood type and political views just be scanning your ID.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

In NYC in the early 70's my husband got his US driving papers. They didn't even put a photo on the license back then. Hate to admit it but a few of his "friends" borrowed his papers because there was no photo. I am against so many regulations in life but that was a bit too much.
Strange to see all the changes over the years, now they probably know your credit score,blood type and political views just be scanning your ID.

Used to be the same in the UK, no photo and basically just a bit of paper.  We've got a more insidious system now in the UK. 

We have rather primitive card DLs and when you want to hire a car, you have to give the company a special code from a government web site  to "share" your DL details with the rental company. It's so they know if you are banned or dangerous etc. 

So not only do they know you are renting a car, they know where you rented it from.  All a bit too much snooping. Drivers with foreign licenses don't need to provide that code to the rental car company so it's a bit half-baked.

Not such a bad thing to know your blood type though.  We used to write it on our military gear just in case we needed treatment of some kind.

When buying a bike what forms are there to prove ownership and then transfer to me?

Is there any special way/requirements when paying?  I transfer money straight to their account - UK to Hungary?

I could do with a contact/agent (English speaking) that could help me as I do not speak Hungarian and do not want to make any silly expensive mistakes.

Does anyone have an idea where I could look for someone like this?

What are you after exactly?
I speak English/Australian and close to fluent Hungarian.

markapp wrote:

When buying a bike what forms are there to prove ownership and then transfer to me?

There should be papers for the vehicle that the owner needs to give you that show you then own the bike, including insurance if the vehicle is currently road registered. And you you may need to register the vehicle documents and insurance in your name after purchase.

markapp wrote:

Is there any special way/requirements when paying?  I transfer money straight to their account - UK to Hungary?

No, there are not special requirements on how you pay.

But I highly recommend you do a bank transfer payment. The paper trail is for your protection. Private sellers may want cash, but insist on bank transfer or walk away on the deal. There are scams here, so protect yourself with a paper trail.

Also do consider if you want to by used, buy from a dealer unless you are a pro/hobby mechanic. You may pay more, but a legit dealers will offer a 30 day warranty. With a private deal, you are on your own, and tools and machines here are worked hard. So few, if any, private items are sold here as used unless they have problems (which will cost more to fix of course).

markapp wrote:

I could do with a contact/agent (English speaking) that could help me as I do not speak Hungarian and do not want to make any silly expensive mistakes.

Does anyone have an idea where I could look for someone like this?

Right here at this site is a list of translators and interpreters that may be willing to walk you through the purchase process:

https://www.expat.com/en/business/europ … erpreters/

Hi
I am looking into whether it is worth starting a business trading in motorbike i.e buy Hungary sell UK

And if it works there other way, with motorbikes/quad bikes or cars?

Is there enough money in it to make it commercially viable.

markapp wrote:

Hi
I am looking into whether it is worth starting a business trading in motorbike i.e buy Hungary sell UK

I have driven the route from Austria in to Hungary quite a lot. Often see auto carriers taking used cars into Hungary. I don't recall ever seeing one taking cars "out" of Hungary.

Like I said, vehicles here are treated rough. Relative low personal incomes means they are often not maintained well. Not sure who would want junkers from Hungary.

thank you the advise.

klsallee wrote:
markapp wrote:

Hi

I have driven the route from Austria in to Hungary quite a lot. Often see auto carriers taking used cars into Hungary. I don't recall ever seeing one taking cars "out" of Hungary.

Like I said, vehicles here are treated rough. Relative low personal incomes means they are often not maintained well. Not sure who would want junkers from Hungary.

A lot of these cars on the highway are going to Romania and to Bulgaria for parts or for repairs (including using them to convert RHD to LHD).  They buy a lot of them in the UK.  Cars are cheap there and easy to obtain without much paperwork for export.   They also tend to be low mileage from the UK.  Cars here with 150-250K km on them are normal here.

A lot of the cars here in HU are from Germany.  Our own car - bought 2nd hand here from a dealer - is from Germany.  We found the business card of the previous user in the glove box and we could see the German stamps in the service book.   I am pretty sure these cars are clocked as well. 

A place I have found many imported cars is East Africa - all Japanese (mostly white) cars about 3-4 years old.  I've also seen many UK and European cars (with their original plates) driving around in West Africa.  They convert to LHD and they remove as much of the electronics as they can.   Makes it simple to own and operate.  I was at a scrapyard once in Gambia and saw a few high end cars obviously unusable due to electronics or spare part issues.  Simple is best.