Student and i will certainly go 2,5 or 3 months in Australia

[Moderate: See below the translation in English]

Bonjour,
Je suis étudiant et cette été je compte partir 2,5-3 mois en Australie pour l'été (Début juin à Fin août).
Sachant que je suis obligé de faire 5 semaines minimum de stage (peu importe où) et que moins je dépenserais mieux ce sera.
Que me conseilleriez vous de faire la bas?
Sachant que j'aimerais bien si c'est possible côtoyer d'autres étudiants pour ne pas me retrouver seul. :) Donc je pense qu'aller à Sydney, Melbourne ou Camberra parait judicieux. Mais comment trouver un job (peut-importe le job) et un logement (peu importe le logement :p ) la-bas??

J'ai entendu parler du WWOOF, cela pourrait être interessant, sauf que je me retrouverais seul (sans autres étudiants) du coup non??
Ou alors du conservation volunteers australia (CVA), cependant cet organisme est assez cher, y aurait-il quelque chose du même style ou quelque chose avec du bénévolat étudiant dans le même style??

Merci beaucoup d'avance pour vos réponses, (et n'hésitez pas toutes les idées sont bonnes à prendre :) )

Hello,

I cant speak or write French. Im guessing you are asking advice about Australia though? I actually grew up in Sydney, lived a few years in Brisbane and have visited Melbourne. I would be more that happy to give you some advice if you tell me the stuff you want to know in English.

Thanks
Scott

Ok,  so i will translate it in English :).
"Hello, i am a student and i will certainly go 2,5 or 3 months in Australia during our summer (Begin of june to the end of august).

Knowing that i have to get a 5 week work experience (for my school, the kind of job doesn't matter) and the less money i will spend better it will be. :)
What would you advise me to do there?

Knowing also that i would like to meet other students if it possible because i wouldn't like to stay alone during 3 months ^^. So i think that Sydney, Melbourne or Camberra seems judicious. But how can i find a job (whatever the job) and an accomodation (whatever the accomodation  :p) there??

I heard about the WWOOD, that could be interesting, but that would imply that i will be alone (without other students), don't you think?
Or i heard about the Conservation volunteers Australia (CVA), however this organism is quite expansive, is there something of the same kind or something like voluntary work with students.

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

Hi There,

Well firstly I wouldnt recommend you staying in Canberra. It really is a ghost town. Other than Houses of Parliament and a University there really isnt much there. Also you will be visiting in the Australian winter and Canberra can get quite cold, although i'm guessing you wouldnt have thought that as most people impressions of visiting Australia is the fact that its always warm :)
Melbourne to some people is a nice place to visit. It is very European. Has alot of areas that have streets full of shops, cafes and restaurants with a European influence. That being said Melbourne also gets very cold in the Winter, and I might sound a little biased as I grew up in Sydney but Melbourne doesnt have as much to see as in Sydney. Sydney has the Opera House, The Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour. You can actually pay to do bridge climb and you can actually climb over the top of the sydney Harbour Bridge if that interests you. Sydney also has Centrepoint tower. If you want you can pay ( I think its about $15 or $20 to get the elevator to the top and you can see the whole of Sydney. Or you could pay say $50 to go to the revolving restaurant, go for the buffet and you can stay there as long as you want. Whilst you sit at your table the restaurant will revolve and you will see the whole of Sydney. Its quite funny if you have a few drinks and leave your table to go to the bathroom, It can take you a while to find it :)

If you want to meet other students or fellow travellers I would duggest you stay in one of the many backpackers that Sydney has to offer. I would suggest selecting 1 in Pitt Street. Pitt Street is right in the middle of Sydney and very close to Central train Station which is the main Station in the City. From Central you can catch a train anywhere you wish to travel. E.g the Blue Mountains which is only a couple of hours away on the train and well worth a visit. I would also suggest you get a bus to the Sydney Football Stadium or the Sydney Cricket ground. They are situated next door to each other at Moore Park. At the Sydney Football Stadium you can see Australian Rugby League matches and at the Sydney cricket Ground you will be able to see some Australian Rules Football. It is literally 10 minutes on the Bus or it will take you about 30 minutes to walk from Central Train/Bus station. Have a look at http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Sydn … tAodvE8Ayg

If you want some casual work then  you must make sure that you are able to get a work visa. It should be fine depending on your age. You will find that alot of the backpackers in the City will have work for people staying there. Not always but I have stayed at a backpackers in Sydney myself when i was returning from living overseas and although I wasnt looking for casual work I noticed they ahd job boards offering jobs. You can also look on www.gumtree.com.au and you will find they have lots of jobs there for travellers, especially if you look under Hospitality, they have jobs such as waiters and bar people etc or look under sales and marketing and they have lots of differnet jobs that would suit travellers.

Also if you stay in the Backpackers they will notify you of special events at Pubs where they will do cheap food and cheap drinks for travellers. There you will be able to meet people from all over Europe and from all over the world. I have actually had drinks at a few of the Backpacker Bars and would highly recommend it. There is something on every night.

I hope this info helps. Anything else you would like to know then please ask.

Thanks
Scott

Hello Rifl3,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I think it is more reasonable and appropriate to move your topic on the English speaking Australia forum.

Best of luck,
Christine

Ok, you are not the first who tell me that Canberra is not a great town. So i will probably go to Sydney.

Do we have to book if we want to sleep in backpackers?? I saw on your site, some backpackers are expansive... :/

I am 21 years old, so i think i will not have any problem with working, don't you think??
I don't have to search a job before going in australia?? I just have to look for a job there in backpackers??

I don't see, where do i have to look on the gumtree website?? Where are there waiters announces??

Yep, these info help me so much, so i thank you infinitely