Is it true?

That a person can buy their own iqaamah to reside in Saudi?

Why would any mentally stable person wanna leave their home country and immigrate to Saudi Arabia?

NikolizkyV wrote:

Why would any mentally stable person wanna leave their home country and immigrate to Saudi Arabia?

The same reason your already there, or is your sanity also questionable?

For many reasons money, job, career, religious reasons, better life, freedom, boredom, etc

ghanshyampdave wrote:

For many reasons money, job, career, religious reasons, better life, freedom, boredom, etc

Your too kind Dave! Great list, thank you

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

I've heard of it. It could be illegal and invite trouble.

ghanshyampdave wrote:
Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

I've heard of it. It could be illegal and invite trouble.

Thanks for the response. I've also just heard about it.  Any way of knowing for sure if it's illegal?

oh yes, declare it to cops that you bought your own Iqama. If you return to EB with a story, we'll all know it for sure :D

P.S. : It's illegal, no doubt. Read more on this forum to find out.

Well i didnt buy my own Iqama, did i? I was head-hunted...

Ok thanks again Dave for the straight forward answer.

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

Ok thanks again Dave for the straight forward answer.

You can trust me when it comes to putting someone in trouble or putting out of one :)

Have heard of Free Visa term @Btwn-Fear-N-Hope?

Pay 18,000 to 22,000 to a visa agent. Then come to KSA and try looking for a job. After one year, transer your iqama to the company that employed you.

This is quite common. IMHO, more than 50% of Asian expats in KSA did that. And this is what you are asking about :)

NikolizkyV wrote:

Aww you poor victim! You was head hunted, forced to leave the comforts of your hometown- made to migrate to a country which you detest, against your  will- the iqaamah was stamped on your passport while you screamed in protest and now your stuck with no means of escape.

I'll remember you in my prayers.

The prospect of buying ones own iqaamah - had it been legal- would allow one the freedom to seek employment without waiting around for no objection letters, without the fear of being deported on the grounds of an unjust employer cancelling their iqaamah. It would also give one the freedom to choose their jobs, hours etc while living in the country without relying on intermediaries.

Yes I must be insane to enquire or desire this relatively small freedom.

I know some stewards in a small restaurant who did that. It's because they have no other choice like the educated / experienced people.

NikolizkyV wrote:

I have the same story like you guys. My head was hunted and I was out of mind to allow that :D

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Pay 18,000 to 22,000 to a visa agent. Then come to KSA and try looking for a job. After one year, transer your iqama to the company that employed you.

This is quite common. IMHO, more than 50% of Asian expats in KSA did that. And this is what you are asking about :)

I don't know legend maybe it's the same thing, I was told I could purchase an iqaamah for about £7,000 gbp. I was told I could travel and work for who I want and where I wish. I was simply curious because I figured if one can't get noc letters but wish to still work they can buy their freedom by getting their own iqaamah.  Just a thought.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

And they're roaming around KSA hunting for jobs only because the prison cannot hold so many of them at once ?

No no, let me explain. Remember rule of thumb: Working for anyone else than your sponsor is a severe violation of Saudi labor law.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

No no, let me explain. Remember rule of thumb: Working for anyone else than your sponsor is a severe violation of Saudi labor law.

But if an employer don't sponsor them, and they have their own iqaamah/visa what's the problem- and why is it illegal?

Ok I laughed at my own comment above. I just questioned you like your the Saudi embassy but u do have answers to the weirdest questions @ legend

And at times we all ask him something weird ;)

ALL expats have to have Kafeels. I've never heard of anyone doing what you said above (in my 12 years in KSA). Looks like much distorted hearsay :)

Thank you both Dave and legend, your clarifications are much appreciated!!!

Sorry for the interruption, someone can explain what a iqama?  I have read your conversations but not very clear to me ...  Thanks

Hi Caroline and iqaamah is residency status

ghanshyampdave wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

And they're roaming around KSA hunting for jobs only because the prison cannot hold so many of them at once ?

One of 2 things happen Dave.

1- They transfer sponorships to companies with consents from their Kafeels. And thus they get legal.

2- They pay agreed upon annual charges to their Kafeels. Their iqamas are all legal so no one catches them. They work for someone else (which is illegal) but they get expert in presenting mind-blowing excuses to anyone checking on them.

Trust me there are MILLIONS.

Fortunately my hunter told me almost everything there is to know about Saudi, the medieval social system, the religious mysticism, dictatorial management etc, but if a deal is lucrative, then what the hell. I can go work for Kim Jong-Un if he pays well...

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

Thank you both Dave and legend, your clarifications are much appreciated!!!

I tried putting you into trouble also :D

Anyways, I'm not an expert like TLL. :)

That is an iqama?

TheLegendLeads wrote:

One of 2 things happen Dave.

1- They transfer sponorships to companies with consents from their Kafeels. And thus they get legal.

2- They pay agreed upon annual charges to their Kafeels. Their iqamas are all legal so no one catches them. They work for someone else (which is illegal) but they get expert in presenting mind-blowing excuses to anyone checking on them.

Trust me there are MILLIONS.

Just remembered, my unregistered cab-driver (another illegal profession) pays SR 2500 a month for that. Poor guy is having troubles with his Kafeel now. He has to go back to his home country and return for another kafeel / iqama.

Feel sad for them. Neither can we live with them, nor can we live without them.

NikolizkyV wrote:

Fortunately my hunter told me almost everything there is to know about Saudi, the medieval social system, the religious mysticism, dictatorial management etc, but if a deal is lucrative, then what the hell. I can go work for Kim Jong-Un if he pays well...

I did my research on the internet, hearsay, EB, etc.

Caroline39 wrote:

That is an iqama?

Yes Caroline the iqaamah is the residency status.

Ok, thanks for answering.

Your welcome! Glad I could help for once- usually
I'm the one with the questions lol

Ah, okay ...  It had not ever heard of iqaad, and less of the problem to get there ...

@theledgendsleads,

Im sorry you never heard of this happening but it DOES happen. I have SEVERAL friends from America that are Muslim converts/reverts and they are all in KSA with their OWN visa and have the legal ability to take any job they choose.

One of them was there with a job. They lost the job and went to speak to a lower prince and because of his reason for being in KSa the prince gave him an Iqamah. He and his family have been living with this type of iqamah for YEARS. HE has been able to get whatever job he wants with no problem and its all on the up and up. After learning about this families situation, I found out this type of this happens A LOT. When I worked in KSA I came across many more people in this situation. I worked with them.

Another woman I know lived there with her husband and kids. Her husband died, both  of them are American, and the woman was then sponsored by a Saudi family. Her iqamah also allows her to work.

I know of other American Muslim families that own business that have brought other Muslims families over to KSA on their business visa, for a small fee. This allowed them to find work and then transfer the visa over to the new employer.

Just because YOU may only know of the traditional way does not mean there are NOT other ways.
If youve been in the GCC for 12 years then you know anything and I mean ANYTHING can happen with WASTA!!!

@Nmuhammad - There are exceptions in all cases. You know some, we all know some. ;)
And if it's about Saudi Arabia, it's a well established fact that anything is possible here. That why it's called a Magic Kingdom :)

Nmuhammed thanks for the update Akhee , I think that's what my friend was talking about. Allah knows best. I don't have any intention of buying an iqaamah, don't have the finance or know how, but curiosity.

NMuhammad,

:) On EB we share what we know and we stand behind our statements by providing evidences/proofs. Conversely, we don't make guesses about things we don't know. Nevertheless, we do provide our perspective about things, we know, are against local law-of-no-discrimation, saudization policy, visa rules and the saudi labor law.

A normal person can have Iqama valid till one year and exit re-entry visa valid for 6 months. However, I know some people who have iqama and exit re-entry validity for 25 years.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

50% is a very "scary" figure...'just glad i'm with the other 50%....