Help for information

Hi All,

Greetings!

I have come into Riyadh on a Job visa.  Recieved my Iqama two months ago.  I could not pass the driving test in the driving school at Riyadh.  I have my India driving licence and International Driving License which are valid. 

I have been asked to attend driving school for 5 days.  I have been driving in US and is able to drive at Riyadh due to the same side of driving style.

Can I use my IDL and India Driving license till I get my Saudi license within the 90 days from the date of issue of Iqama.  Some people on enquiry said it is possible, some not.   It would be agreat help if someone in this forum could throw light on this.  I believe there is a grace period of 90 days from the date of issue of Iqama to get Saudi license.  In this days IDL is valid. 

Please help to clarify.

Thanks in advance,
Manu

You have to get a Saudi Driving Licence within 90 days of of your entry visa not the date of your Iqama.

This is a cut from the UK Embassy web site so refers to UK driving licence:

Driving in Saudi
Visitors to Saudi Arabia can use the British Driving License (If Valid) for a period not exceeding 3 months from the entry date on the Saudi visa.

Residents in Saudi Arabia cannot use the British Driving License, but would be required to obtain a domestic Driving License.

A British citizen can also use his International Driving Permit, subject to the validity of his British Driving License. In Saudi Arabia you would be required to carry both Driving License as well as International Driving Permit.

Driving standards in Saudi Arabia are lower than in the UK. The annual death toll on Saudi roads is extremely high. An average of 16 people die on Saudi roads each day. Many drivers do not adhere to road rules and visibility on roads can be affected by dust storms.

i believe you should take the test again . its pity for the caps to stop you and drag you to jail ...

you can, but it's better to be safe, and just pass your driver's license here. BTW who's car you're driving yours? others? let them drive first, because you'll never know, sometimes the police are lenient sometimes they are not. Not to mention it's Ramadan time. It's just 1 week and then exam...good luck.

manukumar_v wrote:

Hi All,

Greetings!

I have come into Riyadh on a Job visa.  Recieved my Iqama two months ago.  I could not pass the driving test in the driving school at Riyadh.  I have my India driving licence and International Driving License which are valid. 

I have been asked to attend driving school for 5 days.  I have been driving in US and is able to drive at Riyadh due to the same side of driving style.

Can I use my IDL and India Driving license till I get my Saudi license within the 90 days from the date of issue of Iqama.  Some people on enquiry said it is possible, some not.   It would be agreat help if someone in this forum could throw light on this.  I believe there is a grace period of 90 days from the date of issue of Iqama to get Saudi license.  In this days IDL is valid. 

Please help to clarify.

Thanks in advance,
Manu

A big and firm NOO!!
Once you receive Iqama you are the resident and a resident cannot drive without lisc. They can you put you to Jail even.
So don't even think about it. You can drive untill you don't have the iqama.

dynamo1131 wrote:

you can, but it's better to be safe, and just pass your driver's license here. BTW who's car you're driving yours? others? let them drive first, because you'll never know, sometimes the police are lenient sometimes they are not. Not to mention it's Ramadan time. It's just 1 week and then exam...good luck.

Just to add, its not only about leniency of police its something against the law hence should not be done.

@Manu: I failed the computer test but on retest I was able to get through so no worries you will be able to do that.

pkmusd wrote:
manukumar_v wrote:

Hi All,

Greetings!

Please help to clarify.

Thanks in advance,
Manu

A big and firm NOO!!
Once you receive Iqama you are the resident and a resident cannot drive without lisc. They can you put you to Jail even.
So don't even think about it. You can drive untill you don't have the iqama.

Sorry but this information is incorrect.  You cannot apply for a driving licence before you get an Iqama. The Iqama must be issued within 3 months of arrival otherwise you will overstay your visa. You can drive on your home licence if it is approved UK & US or with a International licence accompanied by your valid home driving licence, for three months after arriving.

So if you arrived on the 1st July and your Iqama was processed by the 1st August you have until the 30th September to obtain a Saudi driving licence. If your Iqama is not processed until the 29th September you can only drive on the 30th September. 

If you hold a UK or US licence you can convert them without a test not sure about other European or Australian / New Zealand licences.

If you are driving a hire car after the 90 days you will not be insured.

weird
i didnt even have to take a test?

Freshlikesushi wrote:

weird
i didnt even have to take a test?

No if you read what I said UK and US don't have to take a test.

Don't know about others

you are right!
i missed that part

But i do know a US guy that did have to take a test.

He either was told wrong or didn't have a valid licence.

maybe they just didnt like Merica that day?

i dunno.