Road Travel from Riyadh to UAE - 2021

I will be traveling by road to UAE from Riyadh on 1st of July, 2021. I traveled like this several times in 2018 and 2019 and pretty much familiar with the procedure and requirements. But because of the pandemic, I held off  taking vacations and haven't traveled since December of 2019. I already have my visa to UAE that I applied for online. I'm posting this for two reasons; 1. To see if anyone has traveled to UAE recently and have details on the current procedure when entering the Emirates, specially Abu Dhabi. I've read through the Abu Dhabi travel restrictions and this is what I've found so far:

-You need to bring a negative COVID-19 PCR test received within 96 hours prior to their entry.

-Upon entering the Emirates,  travelers will be given a PCR test (but it says in the airport, so I'm not sure if the case is the same in the land borders) and must wait for the negative result to be received. -International travelers from countries, regions and territories on the ‘green' list, will no longer be required to self-isolate upon receiving a negative result.

-All travelers will need to take a PCR test on day six for those staying for six days or more, and on day 12 for those staying for 12 days or more

This to me is informative enough, but if anyone have traveled recently and experienced the current procedure, I will really appreciate additional information.

The second reason of this post is, in case no one who traveled recently provided any information, I will keep this post updated when I travel on July 1st and share the experience and the process (If there are anymore that are not mention on the travel restriction process)

Here are my details relating to the travel:

-I'm a Filipino citizen. So I need to apply for an e-visa.  I applied for the GCC Resident visa.
-My car is on a lease, so I have to get authorization to drive my car out if the kingdom.

I will keep this post updated during my travel.

Any input is very much appreciated. ;-)

Hi Jerome

You look like a pro traveler. I'm a newbie in traveling by road and would like drive to Dubai by mid-July. I would like to know your experience in detail. Kindly share your experiences. Eagerly looking forward to it

So here is what happened:

I was not able to get to UAE via the land border. If you obtain a GCC resident visa, they will not accept this in the land border. They use to accept this before, but when COVID started until this date, they won't accept anymore. This is what I found out in the border while talking to the Saudi and UAE immigration officers. I spent about 7hours in both Saudi and UAE immigration trying to get my way  to UAE.

You can only use the GCC Resident visa now when your port of entry is Dubai, meaning only through the airport. For the reason that you will go through Abu Dhabi using the land border, they will not let you in. Abu Dhabi is now very strict in letting people in, I was told. I had to drive back 5hours to Riyadh from the Border. A very long  and frustrating drive back.

If you would still like to use the land border, you need to get a normal tourist visa, not the GCC Resident Visa.

I then booked a flight to Dubai for 3rd of July, then on the day of my flight, SAUDI then announced a Travel BAN, to and from UAE because of some New Variant of COVID. I had to cancel the flight.

It feels like some divine power wouldn't let me in to the UAE. It was a frustrating but informative experience. I suggest to hold off leaving Saudi for now until things get back to normal. Unless to countries where there are no strict travel restriction.

Just reply here if you have questions.

There is a travel ban to and from UAE that was just announced today. So until that BAN is lifted, you cannot travel to UAE.

Thank you very much. After alot of research on restrictions and discussions, we took the decision to fly before hitting the bed last night. Early morning it was a slap on the face news that return is not possible.

Hopefully your return from border was better or else you would have been stuck in the UAE.

Thank you again, let's be in touch for future plans.

hi there,

how is the present situation at the border?  any could travel to U.A.E via road? kindly update pls.

Hi there!

Guyz good day, m also planned to travel by road and following up on ur posts as well. I found through one of my acquaintance (who is a trader and came by road from UAE) that the borders have been reopened. Well further details need to be double checked b4 we set out.

Cheers

Looking forward to ur input...

Apple Alarabia

Is the borders to UAE open from Riyadh, are you able to travel to UAE without any hassles ?
Please let me know if there is any new process other than obtaining visa and insurance to enter UAE via land border.

Dear, I reached Dubai from Riyadh today (2 Nov 2021). Travelled by my own car. Other than the Visa, you Just need PCR and vaccine certificate . No other documents required. You have to take insurance for your car from the border (210 DHS).  Let me know if any further details required.

Ahmed, did you obtain the UAE visa through government website or through agent? If agent, what is the cost of the visa?

Dear, Thank you for the quick update. Enjoy your stay.
Is there anything specifically to be done on the way back to Riyadh. Please reply at your convenience.

I got it through an agent. Paid around 300 SR.

sks_sks_sk wrote:

Dear, Thank you for the quick update. Enjoy your stay.
Is there anything specifically to be done on the way back to Riyadh. Please reply at your convenience.

I'll return next week.  The documents required are just pcr certificate, Muqeem registration and Tawakkalna Green status.

I just got information that the GCC visa in now valid in the land border.. I will try and travel again by road on Thursday, November 11. I will keep you all posted.

Jerome DC wrote:

I just got information that the GCC visa in now valid in the land border.. I will try and travel again by road on Thursday, November 11. I will keep you all posted.

Dear, why don't you apply for pre-approved visa and avoid any risks? You can apply online for GCC resident visit visa as well.

I have applied online and I have a visa. That's what I mean by the GCC Visa. In July, the GCC visa from GDRFA website was not being accepted in the land border.

Jerome DC wrote:

I have applied online and I have a visa. That's what I mean by the GCC Visa. In July, the GCC visa from GDRFA website was not being accepted in the land border.

Oh ok, then it should be fine.
For me, at the Saudi border, they just asked if I had a visa. They didn't even look at the paper.

Yes it has always been like that when I travelled before COVID. Last July, I travelled again and they did not accept the GDRFA GCC visa because Abdu Dhabi was restricted back then. I guess things are back to normal now. I hope I will not have any issues when I travel on November 11.

Hello sir, I need go Dubai from Riyadh.my family is coming visit visa from Dubai. After 14 days coming Saudi Arabia.i am now Riyadh.family is coming time I go dubai.after 14 days stay here coming my own car. My car model 2011 but good car.no have any problems my car.all paper is valid.some people's tell this car 2011 model not allowed.please reply anyone

Hello sir, I need go Dubai from Riyadh.my family is coming visit visa from Dubai. After 14 days coming Saudi Arabia.i am now Riyadh.family is coming time I go dubai.after 14 days stay here coming my own car. My car model 2011 but good car.no have any problems my car.all paper is valid.some people's tell this car 2011 model not allowed.please reply anyone

can i travel with a rental car from Riyadh to Dubai , If yes what are the procedures ?
and i shall i bring my dependents in that vehicle , as they are on family visit visa to Saudi ?

Dear Jerome

You got the visa from gdfra website ? When i checked today it was showing "We would like to inform you that our new entry permit service is currently not available and will be back shortly." at the website.
https://amer.gdrfad.gov.ae/auth/signin

Is this the right website ? or there is another one to apply ?

dhanishammu422 wrote:

Hi Jerome

Is it the new website smart.gdrfad where you applied visa ? which is the port of arrival you selected

I have car. But 2011 model this car is allowed

I think it is Hatta Border

Here is the website to get a GCC visa:

https://smart.gdrfad.gov.ae/

dhanishammu422 wrote:

I have car. But 2011 model this car is allowed

I have not seen any policies restricting cars that are old. I think as long as you have proper documentations for your car, you should be okay.

saleemabdu wrote:

can i travel with a rental car from Riyadh to Dubai , If yes what are the procedures ?
and i shall i bring my dependents in that vehicle , as they are on family visit visa to Saudi ?

Just get a letter of authorization from the rental company allowing you to drive the car out of the kingdom

Thanks for the update. Kindly confirm regarding the PCR test, whether the test has to be taken within 48 hrs or 72 hrs. As I'm planning to travel on November 18th 2021.
Please confirm below is there any other documents required apart from the listed ones:
My own vehicle with no bank loan.
- Vehicle Istimara
- Original Passport
- Original iqama
- Exit Re-entry copy
- PCR test
- 2 doze Vaccination  certificate.

Waiting for your reply.

Hi Jerome / Eahmed89

Which is the best route from riyadh to UAE the google map shows two roads, one through Kharj and then the straight road to the border ( this road shows yellow as if there is traffic or construction going on ). Another one is towards Hofuf and then to the border. Please let me know which one will be the best route

dont go form kharj road, there is a part of road straight which is single lane and very heavy traffic , and trust me i never heared any one go from that route and never had any kind of accident. small or big but they do face problem because of road and traffic conditions.

sks_sks_sk wrote:

Hi Jerome / Eahmed89

Which is the best route from riyadh to UAE the google map shows two roads, one through Kharj and then the straight road to the border ( this road shows yellow as if there is traffic or construction going on ). Another one is towards Hofuf and then to the border. Please let me know which one will be the best route

Hi Sks, I used the Kharj road and then straight road to the border (both travelling to and back from UAE). Have not used the other road so cannot comment on that.
The straight line road is 2 lane highway (2 lanes for one way and 2 lanes for the other). Pretty easy to drive on. Not much traffic, mostly just trucks . You have dessert on both sides and no petrol station in the stretch. There are no fences either so you would have to be alert for any camel crossing.
Fill up in Haradh before the straight stretch , make sure vehicle is in good condition (applicable for any route), drive during day light (you can see miles ahead, so no risks of any animal crossing), and make sure you don't fall asleep, the scenery and the road can get boring after a while.
The road itself is in good condition, no construction going on and no traffic. Google showed yellow for me as well. i travelled back to riyadh using this road last week (08-Nov-21). There is  construction going on in some areas in the road between Haradh and Kharj. Nothing Major.

what did you mention as port of arrival for the e visa on this site

Jerome DC wrote:

Here is the website to get a GCC visa:

https://smart.gdrfad.gov.ae/

What did you mention as port of arrival on the website

Hello Jerom
Did you travel on Nov11...
I am planning to travel on 27 nov..
I have gcc resident visa taken from ica.gove.ae

To everyone, I travelled last November 11 and I'm nownin UAE..I will travel back to Saudi on December 4

gurudattyadav1970 wrote:

what did you mention as port of arrival for the e visa on this site

You can select any  on the list.. I use the hatta border on my visa application

ejazismayil wrote:

Thanks for the update. Kindly confirm regarding the PCR test, whether the test has to be taken within 48 hrs or 72 hrs. As I'm planning to travel on November 18th 2021.
Please confirm below is there any other documents required apart from the listed ones:
My own vehicle with no bank loan.
- Vehicle Istimara
- Original Passport
- Original iqama
- Exit Re-entry copy
- PCR test
- 2 doze Vaccination  certificate.

Waiting for your reply.

That's all you need. Make sure you have a uae visa also. 72 hours validity for PCR, from the date of sample collection.

Hello there ,
Thanks for your valuable inputs .

My query is that children below 5 needs PCR test mandatory ?

Thanks in advance for the replies