New I.D. card rules

Hi Mick

On the MHAS site when you find the list of forms it is near the bottom of the list in between Form S and the Electoral Form. I tried to copy the link but it wouldnt let me for some reason, hope this helps :)

Whats the general opinion on apply by post today guys?

Christmas? 2014?

TBH i dont know anybody who has got one applying by post - and ive asked the question here a number of times and not one person replied that knew anyone eitehr... but it is the simplest way (if EU) to do so - but not the fastest if there is such a thing

redmik wrote:
biddy wrote:

Since my application in early May, I'm now the owner of a
"Residence card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen (Art 10 - Dir 2004/38)". Being a TCN I apparently now no longer need to obtain a Schengen visa. A day to celebrate!!

:top::cheers:

well done biddy.... has other half got his?

Hi Biddy,

congratulations!

We are still waiting after 30 weeks! But I just sent a repeat e-mail to mhas Nathalie Attard after her reply from 8 weeks ago went without result ,requesting an urgent response as otherwise I will be putting the issue on the agenda of our NGO committee meeting in a few days.

I can't be a committee member of an official registered NGO in Malta if I'm illegally in Malta !

My fellow committee members are well connected within government departments and even government ,so maybe it needs some hard talk  now ! -))

I'll keep you updated-)))

Cheers
Ricky

You would think it the most efficient and efficient method for both the department with EU individuals and they would encourage it??

Spoken to several individuals on the matter,the main concern seems to be the loss of documentation.

Maybe all the success's are keeping mum...

"You would think it the most efficient and efficient method for both the department with EU individuals and they would encourage it??"

Within Malta it is!!!

Terry

this IS efficient by local standards....lol :):):):):):):)

rainbow3 wrote:

Hi Mick

On the MHAS site when you find the list of forms it is near the bottom of the list in between Form S and the Electoral Form. I tried to copy the link but it wouldnt let me for some reason, hope this helps :)

Thanks, sorted :)
Can't think why I didn't see it - wood for trees and all that.

Yep,I guess it it is.......efficient.
Will be knocking on doors down there Python style 'Is this the right room for an argument??' 'I've told you once..no you haven't ,yes I have..........'

Good morning,

I have a quick question, our appointment for the residency cert is mid-September and I want to make sure we have all the docs (myself & my husband both EU/employed). I remember reading somewhere few months back that we need our birth certs, but now when the time is getting closer I cannot see it being mentioned anywhere! Would anyone know? I still have enough time to get them translated & sent over here if required - wouldn't want to waste the appointment as we had to wait 6 months for it.

Thank you. Tinna

best to have it and not need it - than to need it and not have it

redmik wrote:
rainbow3 wrote:

Hi Mick

Thanks, sorted :)
Can't think why I didn't see it - wood for trees and all that.

You are welcome :)

I have a problem with sorting out my childrens resident forms....Apart from not being able to find my eldest's passport(it has run out so I've not taken the time to really look,) My other two children were born here...Why should I apply for expensive passports,(which I can't afford) as forms of ID?
Has anyone else had this problem? I am a permanent resident through the old system.

You could have a real problem here if any of your (non Maltese citizen) family's passports have expired.

They are all non Maltese citizens...That's 3 passports needed for children, which will probably expire before we can afford to use them. This is why I didn't bother with them at the time I got my residency, now I am concerned!
I really don't think I should have to pay 300 euros for proof of ID, especially as they are schooled here, 2 were born here, I was married here and lived here for 10 years! There is more evidence of my childrens' identity here than in the UK!!

Isnt it law that if you live in a country where you are not a citizen then you have to have a valid passport?  I might be wrong but I am sure I have read that in several places.

rainbow3 wrote:

Isnt it law that if you live in a country where you are not a citizen then you have to have a valid passport?  I might be wrong but I am sure I have read that in several places.

Really?? Wow, I hope not, I don't want to have to keep paying out every 5 years for no other reason!!

coxf0001 wrote:

They are all non Maltese citizens...That's 3 passports needed for children, which will probably expire before we can afford to use them. This is why I didn't bother with them at the time I got my residency, now I am concerned!
I really don't think I should have to pay 300 euros for proof of ID, especially as they are schooled here, 2 were born here, I was married here and lived here for 10 years! There is more evidence of my childrens' identity here than in the UK!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear coxf0001,

Thank you for having raised an aspect of the ‘e-Residence Card' issue that is of very real relevance to all non-Maltese persons living in Malta.

I suggest you seek clarification and guidance from the European Commission Legal Officer, Christian Bulzomi, who is - at present - investigating the ‘e-Residence Card' scheme.

His contact details are as follows:   

Christian Bulzomi

Legal Officer

Christian.bulzomi@ec.europa.eu

European Commission
DG JUST – UNIT C2
Citizenship and Free movement
MO59 06/91
B-1049 Brussels/Belgium

+32 2 29 85 878

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/index_en.htm

Interesting ! would your children be able to leave Malta without a passport, if, say you all went on holiday ?

Byron49 wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear coxf0001,

Thank you for having raised an aspect of the ‘e-Residence Card' issue that is of very real relevance to all non-Maltese persons living in Malta.

I suggest you seek clarification and guidance from the European Commission Legal Officer, Christian Bulzomi, who is - at present - investigating the ‘e-Residence Card' scheme.

His contact details are as follows:   

Christian Bulzomi

Legal Officer

European Commission
DG JUST – UNIT C2
Citizenship and Free movement
MO59 06/91
B-1049 Brussels/Belgium

+32 2 29 85 878

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/index_en.htm

Great, thank you. I shall get on to it now...I will keep you posted.

georgeingozo wrote:

Interesting ! would your children be able to leave Malta without a passport, if, say you all went on holiday ?

No, they are born to British parents but born in Malta, so they will need a British passport to leave....Until they are 18, then they can become Maltese citizens (I have been led to believe?!)

coxf0001 wrote:

.Until they are 18, then they can become Maltese citizens (I have been led to believe?!)

are you sure ?

http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … 1-BIR4.pdf

My understanding is that merely being born in Malta gives you no citizenship rights, unless either Mother or Father are Maltese citizens

georgeingozo wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

.Until they are 18, then they can become Maltese citizens (I have been led to believe?!)

are you sure ?

http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … 1-BIR4.pdf

My understanding is that merely being born in Malta gives you no citizenship rights, unless either Mother or Father are Maltese citizens

Who knows, it does say there and that is what I thought but I have been through loads of crap with this over the years and Mr Jo Mizzi (ex director of expats division) told me that they would be...I find it very hard to find the truth!!!!

The truth is - under certain conditions they are guaranteed citizenship (ie as per the link), but there is also discretionary cases, which I guess is the case for your children

georgeingozo wrote:

The truth is - under certain conditions they are guaranteed citizenship (ie as per the link), but there is also discretionary cases, which I guess is the case for your children

I hope so. I find it crazy, that they could live here their entire life, never leaving the country and yet, will never have the right to vote in a general election!

They may never see the UK and yet they will be UK citizens.... They will just have to marry a nice Maltese guy instead!!

coxf0001 wrote:

I hope so. I find it crazy, that they could live here their entire life, never leaving the country and yet, will never have the right to vote in a general election!

I think that will change in the next 5-10 years, and that residency of 5 years in another EU country will give voting rights

Thanks Terry, I have been based here for 24 years and am somewhat annoyed at the way this has been handled. Hopefully it will soon be resolved. Cheers, Stephen

sjan wrote:

Thanks Terry, I have been based here for 24 years and am somewhat annoyed at the way this has been handled. Hopefully it will soon be resolved. Cheers, Stephen

If you are an EU citizen Stephen then you can apply by post, sending in your old residency card

Hi all,

this is the feedback I got from Jonathan Farrugia at MHAS on my serious complaint of waiting since January for the new e-residence card :

First is my reply and then the original response:

Hi Jonathan,

I don't think that I'm going to apply for e-residence again. That is a rediculous suggestion! I already have a residence certificate so you should be able to just take our details from there.

I would kindly ask you to either find my/our old documents/file and process the application that we filed in January or give me a special appointment with yourself in the next few days. I do not intend to line up at the Evans building again and I expect the e-residence card to be issued within the next days. We can bring 2 photos each plus our old residence certificates and our passports. That should be ok  for the re-application.

Please let me know what you suggest to get this rediculous issue of the table in the next few days.

Regards
R.Weninger

Dear Sir,

I've been forwarded with your e-mail so that I can assist you with your case. Unfortunately I think that your files must have been misplaced and we need to search for your files but this may take a few time. If you need a faster and easier way in having your cards I can suggest that you send us all the documents again and make them attention Back Office EU together with the passport photos and I will process your files myself. If you want I can send you all the documents attached so that you can print them and send them back to me.

Thanks and Regards

Jonathan

This seems to be a totally new aspect to the waiting time. Could it be that most of our applications have just been lost and we all have to re-apply?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi all,

a bit of pressure seems to help ! I just this reply:

Hi,

I just came across your files and I am going to approve them now and send them for printing. If you can send me an e-mail today week with your id numbers so that I can trace your files with the printing section and I will tell you if the cards would be ready if that's ok for you. I am very sorry for all this but hopefully now it's a matter of days.

Thanks and Sorry

Jonathan

Hopefully we will also soon be proud owners of the new e-residence cards -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Congratulations.....
I still can't work out why, if we already have residence that it is not like before, as in, go to the id card place, get your photo taken (and now other things) and hand over our residency certificate, leave with new card....Crazy?!

Applied in january, appointed in may and now we got the letters that we can collect the cards.

Hi Entity,

good news !

We had our appointment in January and received the receipt then -)))

I had already activated our 'hound dogs' but have now called them back for 1 week !

I'm still a bit wary about the 'hopefully it's a matter of days' in the response but you have to be patient in Malta -)))

I'll keep you updated and at least I have the e-mail of the 'backoffice' at MHAS that processes the applications.

Cheers
Ricky

Congrats Ricky! Hope it really is just a few days....
You wouldn't want to share the email address now, would you? :P
Perhaps via PM?

patience is a virtue - lets hope you get the cards before you become patients.

Hi Seat,

of course I will share the e-mail contact I have through PM.

Just let me get our documents first so I can see how it works and then it will be available for other urgent cases if necessary -))

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi all,

a bit of pressure seems to help ! I just this reply:

Hi,

[b]I just came across your files

Thanks and Sorry

Jonathan[/b]

Hopefully we will also soon be proud owners of the new e-residence cards -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Lucky that eh?  :unsure  Like 'the cheques in the post'

Congratulations and well done with the perseverance :-)