New I.D. card rules

Hi all,

I applied for the new e-residence document on the 22 nd January and havn't heard anything  since then. There were several applicants I know there on the same day who have received their cards in the meantime.

So now I wrote an e-mail asking for my document within 7 days as we need to travel and the residence documents we have expire at the end of the month. My partner is non-EU and I have coverage for legal costs through insurance from Germany.

Has anybody else been waiting for this long?  Let me know so that we can gang up and increase our impact.

Cheers
Ricky

I have the same problem, but only waiting since April.

My lawyer told me that they are working in the backlog ... i am pretty annoyed as we want to go for holidays as well.

Re: The 'e-Residence Card' - '.....Has anybody else been waiting for this long?  Let me know so that we can gang up and increase our impact.

Cheers
Ricky......'

If you have not already done so, sign the petition and,like hundreds of others, append your 'Reason for signing':

EU Commission: Stop the discrimination of EU Nationals in Malta:

https://www.change.org/petitions/eu-com … s-in-malta

a friend of a friend of mine arrived in Malta in May - appled for the id card and guess what they issued him with a old id card  expiry date 2019...... what on earth is going on.!!!!

is he a Maltese citizen ?

georgeingozo wrote:

is he a Maltese citizen ?

On questioning further it turns out he was born outside of europe but has a maltese father and grandfather so that explains it...panic over...lol

Hello everyone. We applied on 5 February and no news so far. My daughter is being charged the tourist rste on the bus, as the paper they provided us in lieu of the old ID expired in March. I was thinking of
visiting the dept. to find out what is going on, but there is a long line and to find out that all we have to do is wait. They should not have put an expiration date on the temporary paper, though... Ciao

i didnt think there was an expiry date on the id application receipt.? thats out of order if theyre doing that. who is it that has refused - the inspector or the driver. if it were me id argue and then ask them to get the police... the irate other passengers will soon make the bus move.. and accept what is clearly a shambles .

My receipt from the 22 nd January does not have an expiry date!

Why should it really as it is only a receipt and needs to be presented when you finally collect the new residence card.

Are you sure we are talking about the same document tennis11?

Cheers
Ricky

maybe tennis11 thinks that the old card which may have had a march expiry date affects the temp receipt.!!!! i dunno

it may not be a good idea for your daughter to argue - it may be dangerous - however keep the ticket and claim it back from arriva.

Hello. My daughter confirmed that usually the bus drivers accept the paper as an evidence of residence. Only this one driver started arguing and to cut it short she paid the full amount. But guess what?!?!?! Today I have received a notification that my 8 years old  son's new ID card is ready for collection!! We will wait for the remaining three which will hopefully be delivered soon. At least something is moving!! Good luck to everyone!!

ciao

@tennis 11: '...My daughter confirmed that usually the bus drivers accept the paper as an evidence of residence. Only this one driver started arguing and to cut it short she paid the full amount. But guess what?!?!?! Today I have received a notification that my 8 years old  son's new ID card is ready for collection!!.........'

An ‘e-Residence Card' may under no circumstances be made a precondition for the exercise of a right or the completion of an administrative formality, because entitlement to rights may be attested by any other means of proof.

See page 36: Article 25 - General provisions concerning residence documents

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 123:en:PDF

Thanks for the link Byron49. The issue though is not the right to be in Malta, but to prove that we are residents for charges purposes. We don' t have our original ID cards anymore and the papers in lieu may and may be not accepted by Arriva and other departments. My fatherinlaw had to show his passport at the post office to get his pension. Hopeflly this limbo will be over soon and things get better organized in the future .

tennis11 wrote:

Thanks for the link Byron49. The issue though is not the right to be in Malta, but to prove that we are residents for charges purposes. We don' t have our original ID cards anymore and the papers in lieu may and may be not accepted by Arriva and other departments. My fatherinlaw had to show his passport at the post office to get his pension. Hopeflly this limbo will be over soon and things get better organized in the future .

The European Commission has launched infringement proceedings against Malta regarding its discriminatory two-tier water and electricity consumption tariff on the following grounds:

‘……..To benefit from reduced water and electricity tariffs, EU citizens residing in Malta need to submit specific residence documents – other means for proving their residence are not accepted by the MT authorities. By contrast, Maltese citizens need only to submit a copy of their identity card (and no proof of residence).

This discriminatory treatment is not in line with EU law and creates an unacceptable obstacle to exercising the right to free movement and residence. We thus take action to ensure that EU citizens are able to fully enjoy their rights…...'

Malta is in breach of EU law in your personal regard on several counts.

I strongly recommend you copy, paste and register your comments with The European Parliament Committee on Petitions online.

Simply click on this internet link:

https://www.secure.europarl.europa.eu/a … ition.html

@ricky

Our E-Residence ID card is ready for collection now and we have applied beginning of April.

Hi Michael,

thanks for the info!

I got feedback from Nathalie Attard that they have a backlog and will be processing our application soon  -)))

Well, at least I got the feedback.

I have heard from another (new) applicant that the documents presented and initially accepted ( in this case the health insurance) where rejected and the application too ! So the receipt is really only a receipt - not more !

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Michael,

thanks for the info!

I got feedback from Nathalie Attard that they have a backlog and will be processing our application soon  -)))

Well, at least I got the feedback.

I have heard from another (new) applicant that the documents presented and initially accepted ( in this case the health insurance) where rejected and the application too ! So the receipt is really only a receipt - not more !

Cheers
Ricky

it has always simply been a receipt there is nothing within that A4 temporary document that can possibly convince anyone that it is a valid form of identification, BECAUSE IT ISNT. Further it is completely wrong of the government and the dept issuing them to say that it is acceptable as such. Once rejected as in this case, the matter starts all over again.

Do you guys have a contact number I can call to find out the status of our applications submitted in person in February? I am not willing to take leave and stand in line for hours again. Thanks a lot!!

We made an appointment, before arriving in Malta, for late April. My husband, British, received letter to collect ID, and I, SAfrican, didn't. He collected his card today, mine "not yet processed". Makes one wonder!

no real surprise biddy.....

It really makes me wonder, as I have not received anything from February!!! What the hell are they doing???

Hi
I came to Malta to work and live here. and I want ID :)
I sent email (to have an appointment) few months ago but they dod not answer.
could u please write me an email on which I can send the question about date of meeting?

Hi mikolay,

welcome to the forum.

Look through the recent posts on this topic to get a feeling for the procedure of applying for residency. Id cards are not issued any more.

As an EU citizen you can either send in the application forms and supporting documents by mail or you can go along in person on Mondays,Tuesdays and Thursdays to wait and possibly get your application in.

Then you have to wait, and wait, and wait , and wait , and .....

Cheers
Ricky

The e-Residence Card: dead on arrival

I refer to the letter from **** entitled E-residency permits in a shambles (TMIS 27 January) regarding the recently introduced ‘e-Residence Card' – a hybrid document combining an identity card and, in respect of non-Maltese EU citizens, a registration certificate.

As regards non-Maltese EU citizens, the implementation of the ‘e-Residence Card' scheme is illegal under EU law on at least two counts:

Firstly, it is illegal to require a non-Maltese EU citizen who has previously registered with the authorities and already holds a Registration Certificate to not only re-apply for a Residence Document, but to require him/her to re-submit supporting personal documentation already issued and/or held by the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs – even if the ‘e-Residence Card' incorporates an identity card component.

Secondly, the customary failure by the Maltese authorities to provide non-Maltese EU applicants with Residence Documents immediately – that is, upon presentation of the requisite documents on their first and only personal visit to the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs – constitutes a violation of EU law.

In the event of a conflict between national and EU law, the latter prevails.

I should stress that, in respect of Gozo-based non-Maltese EU citizens, I was categorical in my submission of 19 October 2012, to the European Commission Directorate General Justice, as
follows:

‘…The Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs – which issues Registration Certificates to non-Maltese EU citizens – customarily violates EU law by requiring non-Maltese EU applicants to personally attend their Valletta office at least twice – illegalities exhaustively detailed in Complaint No: CHAP (2011) 00735 concerning the discriminatory two-tier water and electricity consumption tariff scheme – currently pending before your Unit.

In this regard, the Commission will be aware of Article 8 – Administrative formalities for Union citizens – Directive 2004/38/EC which stipulates:

‘….2. The deadline for registration may not be less than three months from the date of arrival. A registration certificate shall be issued immediately …' (5)

The practical consequences for a non-Maltese EU applicant who is resident on the sister island – Gozo – is a 5 hour round trip each and every time he/she is required to personally attend the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs laden with all manner of official documentation. …

(5) Please see page 19:

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:158:0077:0123:en:PDF

Extract ends.

Moreover, the following internet link discloses that the legality of the Identity Card and other Identity Documents Act Order 2012 – from which the recently introduced ‘e-Residence Card' derives – is already under EU institutional scrutiny:
www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do? … V0%2f%2fEN

Should non-Maltese EU citizens experience or perceive any instances of institutional discrimination, I recommend they file a petition with the European Parliament Committee on Petitions online by availing themselves of the following internet link:

www.secure.europarl.europa.eu/aboutparl … ition.html -.

Source: The Malta Independent on Sunday: Sunday, 3rd February, 2013: The e-Residence Card: dead on arrival

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 788758532/

So, as the time for us to apply for residency gets very much closer and having had no response to my appointment request by email sent 4 months ago can anyone please update me on the latest information regarding how we can get this done as soon after we return in 2 weeks time please?

I very much want to 'hit the ground running' and use the time we are staying in Marsaskala to its maximum advantage as there is no news of the Gozo office opening soon is there?

(We move back to Xaghra on 30.07.13 after 2 weeks at Marsaskala.)

Thanks in hopeful anticipation of some good news! :rolleyes:

dont think there is any easy way Red - registered postal applications are still taking time - we have now waited 7 weeks and still havent got an acknowledgement...so maybe a personal visit to the dept is the only answer - but go early very very early as they only let about 15 people in...mon tues and thursdays only

Thanks and that's at St John's St Valletta, same place as Health Reg, yes?

Hi

No it is still expat office around the corner, 2nd floor room no5.
We printed all forms we needed and then took them with documents (take passport photo as well not stated on list) in person at end of May told would hear something in 6-8weeks.
But can go Monday to Thursday now.
Arrived about 10.30am with water and book each, went to room 5 to get number, asked nationally when told English asked to wait in room, then after 10 minutes or so lady took papers from us quick check all there, them told us timescale. Do not know whether one off but worth a try. :top: Good luck!!

NB - I am using my phone to write this post, so please overlook any errors

Just wanted to give you aheads-up on this never-ending ID/Residence Cert saga. I was there today (If this is posted past 00:00 then you do the math) - Went to do the RHA first because the Entitlement Unit is around the corner. Everything was quick (Lady didnt think my Non-Eu wife was covered and I happily explained the law) Everything was done in 15 minutes thereafter.

Went to the dreaded immigration building. First and foremost, Lets get one thing out of the way... This place is like a UN Refugee Camp. Sorry, but I had to paint you à vivid picture here... No one knows anything and no one knows what to do. They were about 100 people camped in the hall on level two and everyone looked puzzled.

I have read past posts talking about room 5 but on this occasion, I received no such privellage.... Came out of the lift and we lined up immediatly with no knowledge of why, what or where. After about 20 minutes... I and the Mrs were infront of the line.

With all the paper-work and all the photocopies to hand, the lady at the desk shouted... NEXT! Ouccchieee Felt like I was back in high school but lucky I didnt wet my pants. We came forward and I presented every paper we had.. (photocopies and original docs) she looked confused and bumused hence asserting "why so many" (in a Maltease accent). I replied "Dont you need them?" She Replied.. "Photocopies only"  I sorted out the photocopies and the wife kept the originals. After going through everything and looking at our passports she stamped the passport photocopies. She lastly asked for the passport photos (two each) and clipped all the documents in the folder and she SHOUTED (Yes she shouted).. Come back in two months- I was puzzled hence asking "what about à receipt?". She replied... "No receipt, two months you come back with your passports" Before I replied... She shouted again.. "NEXT". Clearly this was my cue to leave the building and my Mrs followed suit.... I dont know If procédure changes but the receipt seems non-existant at present.

Now this is my observation..... If you're still waiting for your ID/Residence Cert since God knows when, I think you better do something. The system is floaded and I think there going to get more busy (à lovely old woman in the downstair's office warned me about the summer rush).

British applicants seemed to make up about 50% of the line and some of the chaps were rather rude to the extent of swearing at the already exausted lady hence her mood swing.

If you have no photocopies they will Send you back.

If you havent filled in the forms correctly they will send you back.

Please, for the love of God dont take your crédit card as proof of being self-sufficient (True story folks)

They have not time for conversation or chit-chat. Be on point and on topic.

Most of your questions wont be answered at the desk, so dont bang the table or start cursing, some of the applicants have little kids, just be calm, this is Malta everything works out in the end and If it doesn't workout then its not the end.

Off to bed Chaps!

Thanks
SMeddie

SMeddie,

Thank you for this horrific feedback.

I recommend you copy, paste and submit your post to: the European Parliament Committee on Petitions online.

Simply click on this internet link to do so:

https://www.secure.europarl.europa.eu/a … ition.html

SNAFU seems approproate

Just some information: A Maltese colleague of mine needed a new ID card, and the place for the Maltese nationals is overstaffed with clerks eagerly waiting for some Maltese person needing an ID card. She was in and out in 20 minutes with everything sorted.
So much for equal treatment of EU and Maltese citizens.

we are just guinea pigs at the end of the day. the dept had to test the system on somebody and on this occasion we are IT or A as they like to call us.

I am struggling to understand why no receipt is given - how would you prove (if reqd) that you had applied? Further despite a new administration it seems no real improvements have taken place. Why are applicants forced to wait between 8 and 26 weeks to get their permits. That is just not acceptable.

and in the meantime those people are forced to pay for the administrations inefficiencies...... ah well i guess more EUropeans cash for the coffers of ARMs and Arriva.

That sounds horrific Smeddie, thanks for sharing, I assume that they want you to go back there in two months just to pick up the receipt because thats not where you pick the new cards up from, it was Melita Street and now on their website it has been changed to the Evans Building.

I wonder what is happening with all the applications that have been sent through the post, I dont think anyone has received a card by applying that way have they?

It is also interesting to hear that they dont seem to be taking photographs at the office anymore.

Hello everyone. We finally got our new cards!!! The waiting time was not so bad even if I guess they could have appointed a different venue for the purpose (instead of an ancient small hallway). I just wonder whether we have to go through this again in the event our address changes...Good luck to everyone and don't give up hopes!!!

ciao

Good news tennis, bet you are pleased. As of today they have changed the venue you pick them up from, according to their website, it will now be Basement Level in the Evans Building so hopefully the picking up process will be better.

@Toon - After speaking to other recent applicant, I can unofficially confirm that the receipt is nolonger issued, it wasnt just à one off. @Rainbow thx for the update, just looked at the website also. @Byron will do when I get my laptop.

Thanks
Smeddie

You are welcome Smeddie :)