Recommender for a passport application

Hi,

I'm a Brit (and also a US national) living in the UK. I recently obtained Maltese citizenship by descent and looking through the procedure for getting a first Maltese passport.   I see that a recommender is needed.

The only official information I can find (link below) concerning who can be a recommender states:
"The recommender is someone who is graduated from the university with a decree or higher, who must have known the applicant for at least two (2) years. The recommender have to stamp the rubber stamp or write in what is graduated or write the warrant number on section 7. The recommender cannot be one of the parents in case of minors."

However, I read on another thread that the recommender needs to be a resident in Malta and a Commonwealth citizen. Is this correct? Is there an official source showing this ?

Thanks.

https://www.servizz.gov.mt/en/Pages/Ide … fault.aspx

Robbie,

Presuming you're applying in the UK, you'll find the information you need on the High Commission website. They don't need to be a Maltese resident if you apply in London: https://foreignandeu.gov.mt/en/Embassie … tions.aspx

If you are applying directly in Malta, then your recommender does need to be a resident of Malta.

I would also like to know this. I have a feeling the recommender is extended to Commonwealth. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

I live in Ireland.
I just went down to my local Garda (police) station and asked them to sign it.
Worked no problem, I have my passport.
I think as long as its someone professional with a rubber stamp you're ok.

Great. Thanks for the update.  I just received an email today saying my birth has been registered.  So next step  passport.

Eddie B-A wrote:

I live in Ireland.
I just went down to my local Garda (police) station and asked them to sign it.
Worked no problem, I have my passport.
I think as long as its someone professional with a rubber stamp you're ok.

From my understanding, it can be any professional with a rubber stamp - from the country you're applying from. As you applied in Ireland, the recommender can be Irish or Commonwealth.

But if you apply in Malta, the recommender has to be Maltese citizen.

Is this correct? Or can I apply in Malta with a recommender from Commonwealth?

Segunaa wrote:

I would also like to know this. I have a feeling the recommender is extended to Commonwealth. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

Congratulations! Where will you apply for passport?

Segunaa wrote:

From my understanding, it can be any professional with a rubber stamp - from the country you're applying from. As you applied in Ireland, the recommender can be Irish or Commonwealth.

But if you apply in Malta, the recommender has to be Maltese citizen.

Is this correct? Or can I apply in Malta with a recommender from Commonwealth?

I asked this question of passport office in Malta. They responded:

If you intend to apply for your passports in Malta, the recommender has to be a Maltese professional person OR a Commonwealth citizen living and working in Malta in possession of a residence card