New I.D. card rules

This should boost income tax revenues.:D

The Government of Malta intends to review the current process for the issue of the ID Cards to foreigners. The new format of residence document applies to EU/EEA/Swiss and Non-EU nationals.

The Changes will be made:

To conform with EU legislation which prohibits Member States from requiring EU nationals and their family members to be in possession of an Identity Card;
In case of third country nationals, the identification document will be limited to their stay in Malta;
The Government of Malta intends to discontinue the issuance of ID Cards to al foreigners
In lieu of the ID card, the residence document issued to foreigners who have been authorised 1 & 2 to reside in Malta or have such a right will be used for identification purposes.

Categories of authorised residents

EU/EEA/Swiss who are workers, self-employed persons, economic self-sufficient persons, students and family members of EU/EEA/Swiss nationals.
Third country nationals who are long-term residents, workers, students, permanent residents (under the relative scheme) and family members of Non-EU nationals

The new format

Malta is in the final preparations to issue residence permits in electronic plastic format by means of a new IT system, which will replace the current ones and will contain biometric features that are:

Photograph – In view of biometric features, photographs will be taken by the Department's officials;
Fingerprint;
An electronic chip for e-government services;
The title of the permit will be in Maltese language, entitled “Permess ta' Residenza;
Permit will have a unique number which will be the person's ID number and it will be printed at the back of the card;
The ID number will be generated electronically and automatically and will be stored in the national identity management system (NIDMS);
Persons who are already in possession of a Maltese ID card their new identity number will remain the same number as on the current ID card

In the case of EU/EEA/Swiss nationals, the residence document will not have the fingerprint, the title of the document will be in English language, entitled “Residence Documentation” and it is expected to be valid for 5 years.

The residence document will contain the following information:

Name and Surname;
Address;
ID number;
Date and Place of birth;
Nationality;
Purpose and duration of stay.

The validity of current ID cards bearing the letter A is until 28th June 2012. Current plans are to effect termination of the issuance of current ID cards to foreigners before the roll out of the new IT system. The roll out is expected to take place later on during this year.

If the termination of the issue of the ID cards to foreigners occurs before the roll out, the current paper documents would serve the purpose of the identity cards until those in plastic format are produced.

The relative application forms will be provided in due course and such forms will contain details in order to generate the applicant's identity number entered in the NIDMS. In the case of EU nationals, in view of their right to vote the European Parliament and Local Council elections, arrangements will be made with the Electoral Office to have their details entered in the Electoral Register.

The said application will be linked to residence and it will entail its examination in an immigration context and may take quite some time to finalise. On application, the person concerned will be provided with an interim document which would have the photograph and ID number printed and will serve as a temporary identification document.

Further information will be provided in due course.

Terry

Hi all,

I just noticed by chance that Arriva have changed the wording for discounted bus tickets. It now states on their website:

Discounted fares

If you hold an official Malta Identity Card or a Registration Certificate/Residence Card (for EU citizens and their family members) or a Long-Term Residence Permit, all issued by the Government of Malta you can access discounted travel throughout Malta and Gozo. To take advantage of the fares listed below you must carry your official an official Malta Identity Card or a Registration Certificate/Residence Card (for EU citizens and their family members) or a Long-Term Residence Permit, all issued by the Government of Malta at all times when travelling.

In the original text Arriva only talked about Malta (or Gozo) ID holders!

Now they include the Registration Certificate and talk about 'official' Malta Identity Card.

Now I'm wondering what the prefix 'official' means ?

That was a quick and quiet reaction !

Cheers
Ricky

Is the distinction between the two possibly:

1)
'The title of the permit will be in Maltese language, entitled “Permess ta' Residenza;' (which sounds like it's for Maltese born in Malta)

2)'In the case of EU/EEA/Swiss nationals, the residence document will not have the fingerprint, the title of the document will be in English language, entitled “Residence Documentation” and it is expected to be valid for 5 years.' (which sounds like the rest of us)

The announcement (shown above) is a bit ambiguous, but that's the way I read it? ::rolleyes:

That was my thought too!

I know the Government already had a meeting with 'stakeholders' to hear their opinion and possible problems with the new regulation so Arriva was certainly pre-informed about the change.

This makes it quite easy for Arriva to change their procedure quickly.

Cheers
Ricky

So wait a minute...if i'm non-Eu and I don't have a long term residence certificate I have to pay the non-resident rates?

Hi Myrkur,

if you are non-EU you have to have a Residence Certificate to be in Malta anyway unless you come and go as a tourist.

This change of rules goes against EU citizens who don't apply for a Residence Certificate but just for the ID card.

Cheers
Ricky

Mmm I see....maybe i am just not getting this bit then? "...If you hold an official Malta Identity Card or a Registration Certificate/Residence Card (for EU citizens and their family members)".It says for EU citizens and doesn't even mention the Non-EU citizens, thats what confusing me..

The rule change does not include non eu citizens as the changes are being made to comply with EU rules.
So I guess for the moment rules for non EU citizens remain the same.

Terry

Hi Myrkur,

I rechecked the exact wording at Arriva and the definition is Registration Certificate/Registration Card(for EU citizens and their family members).

Maybe I missed the 'Registration Card' or Arriva revised it overnight -))

But as you already have one of either you will be ok and it will double ( in its new form of a plastic card) to identify yourself in Malta.

We will post any more/new info as soon as available.

Cheers
Ricky

Oh I see, ok thanks! As at first I thought non-EU were being excluded completely from the lower tarrifs.

Thanks for explaining.

so how does this affect the OAPs with the kartanzjan. do they still need to have residency too. is there a requirement to produce your residency cert/new id card when using the katanzjan

toonarmy9752 wrote:

so how does this affect the OAPs with the kartanzjan. do they still need to have residency too. is there a requirement to produce your residency cert/new id card when using the katanzjan

only residents can have a kartanzjan

Hi,

I've been here for 2 years in June and I'm British. I have an ID card (although the address is wrong as I recently moved), my company applied for a work permit when I first came, I have a social security number. I never received any residence certificate but my job informed me that the work permit was the same thing- is this correct?

I'm concerned that this change to the ID card will affect me, and also because the address is wrong I wont receive any documents now. Should I go in and update my address ASAP? Am I going to have troubles?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid but the original post wasn't entirely clear to me!

Thank you

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

only residents can have a kartanzjan

not sure about this one George as I know many ex pats retired here with id cards but NO residency certs at all and they all have a kartanzjan.

iamharibo wrote:

Hi,

I've been here for 2 years in June and I'm British. I have an ID card (although the address is wrong as I recently moved), my company applied for a work permit when I first came, I have a social security number. I never received any residence certificate but my job informed me that the work permit was the same thing- is this correct?

I'm concerned that this change to the ID card will affect me, and also because the address is wrong I wont receive any documents now. Should I go in and update my address ASAP? Am I going to have troubles?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid but the original post wasn't entirely clear to me!

Thank you

this is not directly related but it can serve to give you an idea of what can happen when address details dont get changed..we have lived in the same property for 3 years and we are still getting the previous occupiers parking fines, speeding fines, car hire contracts, their kids school reports, bank statements, car tax  insurance paperwork.... we have tried relentlessly for this whole time to get this sorted out but we hit a brick wall as the onus is on the card holder to change the details.....and nobody seems able to stop  what i now regard as junk mail...

toonarmy9752 wrote:

not sure about this one George as I know many ex pats retired here with id cards but NO residency certs at all and they all have a kartanzjan.

Thats because in the past to get kartanzjan you only needed to show your ID card. It was presumed if you had an ID card you had also got your residency cert as it is /was the law to do so once applying for an ID card, but as we know many foreigners didn't, either through ignorance or some other reason. I suspect the issuance of kartanzjan will tighten up as well, as it should do  - the kartanzjan isn't to show you are an OAP, but an OAP residing in Malta.

iamharibo wrote:

Hi,

I never received any residence certificate but my job informed me that the work permit was the same thing- is this correct?

correct - it means you've applied for it, but not received it

so are you saying that these guys dont need to get residency certs then?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

the law states you have to apply for one (which they have done in applying for a work permit, atleast thats my understanding) - the govt then has to issue them with one (which the govt hasn't), or justify why they didn't qualify - so its the govt in the wrong

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

the law states you have to apply for one (which they have done in applying for a work permit, atleast thats my understanding) - the govt then has to issue them with one (which the govt hasn't), or justify why they didn't qualify - so its the govt in the wrong

did they apply for one (meaning res cert) - or just for the kartanzjan?

toonarmy9752 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

did they apply for one (meaning res cert) - or just for the kartanzjan?

there are so many similar threads, I'm getting mixed up as to which circumstances are being discussed.

Up until now, if you apply for ID card you must apply for resid cert. The kartanzjan dosn't make any difference to this. I suspect for foreigers the new hybrid ID card/resid cert will probably also include kartanzjan, or if it doesn't you will need the hybrid card to get the kartanzjan.

If someone has ID card and kartanzjan and no resid cert, they are breaking the law the same as (or possibly worse than) someone with ID card and no resid cert

cheers George - apologies for the confusion...this now seems to be clear to me now.

Hi,

from my understanding and experience getting a work permit has nothing to do with applying for and getting the residency certificate.

My answer would be ....wrong ! How can a company apply for my residency and certificate ? It is a personal application through a different government department. And you have to sign the application personally. So if your company does it for you, you still have to check the form and sign it yourself.

Applying for a work permit ( and getting one) never was the same as applying for residency , whether for EU's or third country nationals.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi,

from my understanding and experience getting a work permit has nothing to do with applying for and getting the residency certificate.

My answer would be ....wrong ! How can a company apply for my residency and certificate ? It is a personal application through a different government department. And you have to sign the application personally. So if your company does it for you, you still have to check the form and sign it yourself.

Applying for a work permit ( and getting one) never was the same as applying for residency , whether for EU's or third country nationals.

Cheers
Ricky

agree with all of that, except for an EU citizen its not a work permit, but its the employment version of the residency certificate that you apply for.

Hi George,

sorry to say that I don't agree on that !

The employment version is just one of the several categories that you can apply under!

The actual application are through totally different departments! In our case they did not even want to talk to each other ! -))) Because one said something the other didn't agree with ....

I would say that all those who saw the form and signed it should be ok ! ( if they have a copy), It is not automatically passed on from ETC to the Expatriate office in Valletta .
So anybody in doubt should check with Castille if the application for residency was filed.

Cheers
Ricky

"The actual application are through totally different departments! In our case they did not even want to talk to each other ! -))) Because one said something the other didn't agree with ...." oh for joined up govt - at least the hybrid ID card/res certificate is a step in his direction

I'd assumed the employment bits were linked, and one lead seamlessly onto the other - clearly not then, and even more foreigners are living here without proper documentation

Hi George,

looks as if the ID card /residency question is going to generate a lot of posts ! -)))

Bottom line will be the uniform residence permits for EU or third-country nationals:

foreign.gov.mt/Library/Cit/CEA7-EEA.pdf

foreign.gov.mt/Library/Cit/CEA8-URP.pdf

Cheers
Ricky

I even asked about the work permit = residency certificate a number of times on the forum and was told I am fine, but looks like I'll have to contact someone official to really find out. Definitely should have worried about this sooner!

I guess I'm likely to get in quite a bit of trouble if I've done this wrong and not applied for residency- anyone know whats likely to happen? I've been here 2 years, work, am British, have an ID card, social security number, pay tax etc... they won't kick me out will they?

you are an EU citizen - you cant be kicked out for what is a minor offence (at worst)

the problem isn't people like you, who are paying tax and SS, its the foreigners who have an ID card but thats all, and not registered for tax

Thanks so much George, I was having a real worry. I do feel awful, I was pretty laid back and naive and really should have concerned myself with it sooner.

As long as they wont kick me out thats the main thing, will just have to hold my hands up and get groveling! Like you say, I've not been cheating the state or living off others or anything, I did everything else right :)

Thank you for your help!

Just been notified that the address for the Citizen & Expatriate Affairs (where you get the residency certificates from and updated) has changed to:  172, Melita Street, Valletta, corner with St Paul's Street next to Chinese Cultural Centre.
Telephone:  2204 2258.

tearnet wrote:

Just been notified that the address for the Citizen & Expatriate Affairs (where you get the residency certificates from and updated) has changed to:  172, Melita Street, Valletta, corner with St Paul's Street next to Chinese Cultural Centre.
Telephone:  2204 2258.

Hi guys, I haven't been on here forever....... but, just noticed this post.  The new address (next door to the Chinese Cultural Centre) is only temporary!!  see email I got on this

With reference to your e-mail hereunder kindly note that the Section dealing with EU matters has been temporarily transferred to the premises at 172, Melita Street, Valletta, a few metres away from the Department.

Regards

Joseph Treeby Ward
Adviser
Citizenship & Expatriate Affairs

I am one of those ''untouchables'' :) who had an ID card and a Kartanzjan card but no residence permit as I was waiting for my pension to kick in.  I became official and legal this week, no fuss, no hassle, no mention of new laws, no taking away or replacing of ID/Karanzjan card, just issue of plastic residence certificate.  It's Malta, everything works out in the end if you are patient! :)

Anna

aes2051 wrote:

no fuss, no hassle, no mention of new laws, no taking away or replacing of ID/Karanzjan card, just issue of plastic residence certificate.  It's Malta, everything works out in the end if you are patient! :)

Anna

exactly ! as long as you follow the rules, getting a residence certificate simple.

There is no reason for them to have taken your ID/Karanzjan cards as they are still valid (until 28.6 for ID)

ps There is no new law, merely an application of the existing one, with some tweaking coming in June.

They didn't take away my cards, I was just noting that they didn't mention anything about new rules.

Hi,
I've just bought a house on Gozo. I am a EU citizen. As I understand it I am entitled to a residence certificate (but not an identity card) What do I need to take as evidence and where on Gozo do I take it?
thanks......

if you have been here 3 months, you are both entitled to it, and have to apply for it - you have to go to Valletta unfortunately

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has a link to the official (or unofficial) source where the issues of ID card rules changes and hybrid residency cards are addressed.

Thanks and regards,

Irina

IrinaC wrote:

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has a link to the official (or unofficial) source where the issues of ID card rules changes and hybrid residency cards are addressed.

Thanks and regards,

Irina

its been confirmed by the British Residents Association

So I have a residence certificate, ID card and work permit.

I read through all the posts but am still confused if there is anything I need to do or change?

Can anyone confirm?

Hi phil,

no, you are fine! Just wait and see.

I have heard that ID cards for Aliens (non-Maltese) being issued are only valid 6 months and are not being accepted by banks anymore when you try to open an account.

So anybody with recent experiences with banks,ID card department and so on please share them with us.

Cheers
Ricky