Planning to move to Ontario!

Hello,

Your forum has been such an eye opener for me.  I am planning to move to Ontario,Canada,from New York. My son is in Grade 8 and I would definitely not want to compromise on his schooling. I have decided to move closer to a School that follows American curriculum.  Could you please advise good American schools in Ontario.  I plan to start my own business, hence relocating to any place within Ontario shouldn't be a problem for me.  School is my top priority.

I would immensely appreciate your advise and guidance.

Indeed people like you, who take time to put out genuine reviews, are a blessing on earth. May you receive manifolds in return.

Thankfully awaiting your response,

Jessica Henricks

Hello Jessica and welcome to Expat.com!

A new topic has been created on Ontario forum for better visibility.

Do not hesitate to participate on the forum, it may help.;)

All the best,
Harmonie.

Dear Jessica

The issue of High School in Canada deserves an additional analysis but because I didn't personnally experience it, I decided against commenting about it.  You need to do your research, but here are a couple of points that you should investigate more thoroughly.  In some ways, if you intend to move to Ontario permanently with an 8th grader you have less issues for a variety of reasons.
1) The biggest issues are in the grade k-6 expectations that are lower in Ontario than the US and thus a child returning, for example to US 7th grade, after 3 years in Ontario would likely be behind.
2.)as I note in my longest blog, the educations are probably similar by the end of high school, assuming your child picks the Ontario University track vs. College track in Canada.  You need to understnad those differences before you enroll. 
3) if you would move back to US high school in the middle of his high school years, your biggest issues would be that the Math curriculum in the US is very focussed, ie Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2/Trig, Calculus but is much more general in Ontario the first 2 years.  You need to see how the Ontario school runs their math program specifically, to match the US if you plan to return. Additionnally, the lack of US history and potentially different Literature tracks should be investigated 
4.) on the plus side for your child, if he wants to go to US colleges he will be considered an international appliction and it can help him get into US colleges.

Hope this helps you.

Kind Regards
Sheree Gravely

I don't know if this helps you but