Studying in Quebec

university in Quebec
Updated 2019-05-27 11:46

Quebec universities are among the most highly rated in North America. Numerous courses are available, in both French and English, in a pleasant and multicultural student atmosphere. Quebec also has technical and business schools as well as several universities in the "region".

At university, you could get a 'maîtrise' which corresponds to the master's degree, or a bachelor's degree, which corresponds to the license. Shorter courses are also available: the certificate will allow you to obtain a university degree in one year, while the major and the minor will allow you to obtain, in general, 60 and 30 Canadian university credits. Quebec universities also host doctoral students.

Technical and vocational training programs can help you get a Diploma of College Studies (DCS) - lasting two or three years - as well as a certificate of College Studies (ACS) - lasting three to fifteen months.

Higher Education in Quebec: How to proceed?

To be able to study in Quebec, choose a program of study at a post-secondary institution and send them a fully completed application for admission, with all the required supporting documents and payment of fees, if applicable. Check, however, that the chosen program is open to international students. Also, most institutions impose a different registration deadline for international students.

After reviewing your academic record, you will receive a letter of acceptance from the institution. You can then apply for temporary selection for studies from the Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion Ministry. You must include with your application proof of sufficient resources or funds to cover your expenses during your study period. For 2019, the ministry estimates the living expenses for an international student over the age of 18 at 12,750 $ per year of study. You must add to this amount your tuition fees, transportation costs to and from Quebec, and expenses of settling-in of 500 $.

If you come from a country that has a reciprocal health coverage agreement with Quebec (Belgium, France, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania and Sweden), you will be covered by the Quebec health insurance, the RAMQ, at no cost. On the other hand, students who come from countries that do not have an agreement with Quebec regarding this matter must get private health insurance. This health coverage is paid directly to the University, at the same time as the tuition fees.

You will also need to apply for a study permit from the visa office of your country. Depending on your place of residence or previous trips abroad, you may need to have a medical examination and provide your biometric data. If necessary, the visa office will tell you what to do.

The Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion processes applications for temporary selection for studies within 20 working days, plus postal deadlines. The time required for obtaining a study permit varies according to your country of origin and the period during which you submit your application. For more information, contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Good to know:

If the duration of your study program in Quebec is less than six months, you do not need to apply for a study permit or CAQ. In this case, you can study with a visitor or worker permit.

Scholarships for international students in Quebec

Scholarships are available for international students. For more information, consult your school or university for possible partnerships or exchange programs with Quebec. This information is often available in the "Foreign Students" section of the Schools and Universities websites. See also the scholarship offers available on the website of the Canadian Embassy of your country.

In Quebec, the rates for studies are not the same depending on whether you are a foreign, Canadian or Quebec student. If you are French, an agreement between France and Quebec allows you to pay the same rates as Canadians for an undergraduate degree - bachelor, certificate, minor and major - and the same rates as Quebecers for a graduate degree - master and doctorate.

Studying and working in Quebec

As an international student, you must be enrolled in a full-time course. However, your study permit also allows you to work up to 20 hours a week during the regular study period and full-time during school breaks.

Some courses offer alternating courses with paid internships, called cooperative internships, in companies. These internships are generally for a period of twelve to fifteen weeks. You will need to apply for a work permit in addition to your study permit, to carry out your internships.

Most universities have a directory of job opportunities for students. These positions may be on or off campus. For more information on how to find a job in Quebec, see our article about working in Quebec.

Useful links:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Do I Need a Permit to Study in Canada?
Immigration Quebec - Studying in Quebec
International Education
Immigration Québec - Request for Temporary Selection for Studies
Montreal University
Network of Quebec Universities
McGill University
Concordia University

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.