Study in Canada
Updated 2016-12-13 11:54

Looking forward to study in Canada? Find all that you need to know about relating formalities in this article.

To study in Canada, you will have to follow some procedures. First of all, you have to choose the Canadian university where you wish to enroll and complete the necessary formalities.

You should start the procedures at least eight months before departure. Canadian universities generally process the requests from November to April. Send your complete file to each university you wish to apply. Fees may vary according to the different universities. To be eligible, you must hold a bachelor's degree or any other equivalent degree. Some universities in Canada may ask you to prove your level of English through formal tests such as IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).


You have to apply for a temporary resident permit for students if you intend to stay in Canada for more than six months. You can contact the Canadian Embassy of your area to ask a permit. You must have a valid passport, a letter of acceptance from the university where you have been admitted, proof of financial responsibility to justify that you can financially cater for your needs during your stay without having to work, as well as a medical certificate and your criminal record in some cases. Transaction fees may apply.

Canadian universities

Canadian universities are funded by the national government, but programs that are offered are managed independently by the various provinces and territories. Diplomas awarded by these universities are modeled on those of the American system, making them internationally recognized and thus facilitating equivalence in further studies.

Good to know:

Foreign students holding Canadian professional titles and a Canadian work experience may apply for permanent residency without having to leave Canada. For more information, please visit the Canadian Immigration website.

Useful links:

Canada Immigration and Citizenship
McGill University
University of Toronto
University of British Columbia
University of Alberta
Université de Montréal
McMaster University
University of Waterloo
University of Calgary
Western University
Queen's University

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.