Conditions for entry and stay in Quebec

Living in Quebec
Updated 2019-05-27 12:36

If you are going to Quebec for less than six months, an electronic travel authorization (ETA) is required for nationals of about 50 countries, in addition to your valid passport.

The ETA can be applied for online, on the official website of the Canadian government, and costs 7 $ CDN. You will normally receive an answer by email within 72 hours. If your country is not on this list, you must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa, also known as a Visitor Visa, at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate of your region. For more information, use the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) tool.

Tourist visit to Quebec

To visit Quebec as a tourist, even if you do not need a visa, you must meet certain conditions: be in possession of an ETA and a valid passport, be in good health, have sufficient funds to support you for the duration of your stay in Canada and have a clean record.

You will have to prove to the immigration officer that you intend to return to your country at the end of your stay. You may also be asked for the results of a medical examination, a letter of invitation from a Quebec resident and proof of a return ticket or ticket to another destination.

Quebec has a large number of services for tourists. You will find accommodation and catering services that suit all budgets. However, the standard of living is almost identical to that of European countries such as France and the United Kingdom.

In terms of activities, Quebec and Canada are famous for their large natural areas. Camping is appreciated by tourists and Quebeckers alike. In winter, you can easily rent snowshoes, ice skates and skis to enjoy the snow. Temperatures often drop well below freezing, so you'll need a good coat, gloves and hat.

It is easy to travel to Quebec with children; however, take into account the long distances you will have to travel if you want to walk around the province. Children aged 12 and under must absolutely be seated in the back seat of the vehicle. To check the obligations concerning car seats, you can go to the website of the Société de l 'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ). If you do not want to take your car seat on the plane, you can rent one if you rent a car or buy a used one from website. Check in this case the validity date of the seat which is normally indicated on it.

Good to know:

From French-speaking European countries, the airlines offering the most direct flights to Quebec are Air Canada and Air Transat. From Francophone African countries, you could turn to Royal Air Morocco or Air Algeria. You can find other proposals by using a flight comparator on the internet.

Family visit to Quebec

If your children or grandchildren are permanent residents or citizens of Canada, you can apply for a super visa for parents or grandparents. You will be able to reside in Quebec for a maximum period of 10 years, for stays not exceeding 24 months during the first visit, without having to renew your visitor status.

There are several conditions to obtain a super visa for parents or grandparents: you will need to have a medical examination with a doctor designated by CIC, prove that your child or grandchild reaches a minimum income threshold, submit a commitment of financial support from them and take out medical insurance with a Canadian insurer. Note that you cannot include any dependents when filing your "super visa" application.

Business visit to Quebec

If you wish to travel to Quebec as a business visitor, check beforehand if you need an ETA or a temporary resident visa. You will be admitted to the province for a period ranging from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the objectives of your visit. You will have to prove to immigration that you intend to return to your home country within six months of your arrival in Canada and that you have no intention of seeking work there. You must also have sufficient funds to support yourself for the duration of your visit.

Extend your stay in Quebec

You can apply for an extension of your stay at least 30 days before the expiry of your visitor status. You can apply online, by mail, or present at one of the points of entry into Canada all your documents. This is also possible if you want to study or work longer in Quebec, or change the type of permit, or modify the conditions of your permit.

A fee of 100 $ C to 155 $ C - in January 2019 - applies to your application. The time required for the procedures is variable. The fastest way is to go to a border post with all your documents, but you will have to leave the country quickly if the border services officer refuses to extend your visa. In the meantime, if you have sent your extension request by mail or requested it online and your current permit expires, you will have an implied status: you will be considered a temporary resident until your new application is processed.

You can find out about the status of your application in your online space on the CIC website or by contacting the CIC Call Center at 1-888-242-2100 - from Canada only.

Good to know:

Nationals of some countries must also provide their biometric data - fingerprint and photo records - for any temporary residence application. For more information, visit the CIC website.

Useful links:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada - General Information
Tourism in Quebec - official website
Discover Quebec

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.