Advice about how to come to Quebec to legally get married

hello! My name is Sonia I am a Canadian citizen I live in Quebec I am looking for information and maybe you can help me. I had an encounter with an Egyptian who currently lives in Cairo and we want to live together and I'm looking for advice about how to come to Quebec so we can legally married it. Thank you for taking the time to read this message and maybe you could give me advice thank you very much

Hi Sonia,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I suggest you to read the articles Getting married in Canada section, you might find further information.

Also getting in touch with the Embassies might be helpful useful hints about the documents and the procedure. :)

Regards,

David.

Hello Sonia,

Neither the Canada Marriage Act, nor any of the various provincial Marriage Acts specifically prohibit a foreign national from marrying in Canada. So, provided your prospective spouse is in the country legally and you are able to obain a Marriage Licence then you can get married.

The Quebec Marriage Act does not have any residency requirements. However there is a waiting period of twenty days between issue of the Marriage Licence and the wedding. Your partner will be required to produce either a Birth Certificate or valid Passport as identification.

It goes without saying that one must be legally in the country to marry. Also under Canadian and Quebec immigration laws, the marriage in itself is no guarantee that Permanent Resident Status will be granted. Each case is fully investigated (since there is a concern about marriages of convenience in an attempt to obtain residency) and each will be judged on its own merits.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

sonia poirier wrote:

hello! My name is Sonia I am a Canadian citizen I live in Quebec I am looking for information and maybe you can help me. I had an encounter with an Egyptian who currently lives in Cairo and we want to live together and I'm looking for advice about how to come to Quebec so we can legally married it. Thank you for taking the time to read this message and maybe you could give me advice thank you very much

Ton challenge c'est que ton mari puisse obtenir un VISA de touriste pour qu'il puisse venir ici. Ma femme, étant vietnamienne, n'avait aucune chance d'obtenir un VISA, même de touriste. J'ai du faire mon mariage là bas, et ensuite commencer les papiers de parainnage ici. Mais bon, c'est peut-être pas le meilleur temps pour aller à Cairo! Il peut faire sa demande, mais il parait que une demande de VISA de touriste refusée peut nuire à la demande de parainnage par la suite. Je ne sais pas si c'est vrai.

WillyBaldy

In consideration for our other members, would you kindly post in English only in this Anglophone forum. If you wish to post threads in the French language please do so in the French language forum which you can access by clicking on the French flag icon at the top of the page.

This is clearly explained in the Canada Forum Code of Conduct, which you should have already read.

Thankyou for your cooperation and understanding.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Here is the English version, sorry about that.

Your challenge is for your future husband to obtain his VISA to visit Canada as a tourist. My wife, being Vietnamese, had no chance whatsoever to obtain such VISA. I had to get married over there, and then start the sponsorship process from Canada. But in your case it might not be the best time to go to Cairo! He can try to obtain a tourist VISA to Canada, but I heard that being refused for such VISA can create problems for the sponsorship application. I don't know if it's true though.

WillyBaldy wrote:

Ton challenge c'est que ton mari puisse obtenir un VISA de touriste pour qu'il puisse venir ici. Ma femme, étant vietnamienne, n'avait aucune chance d'obtenir un VISA, même de touriste. J'ai du faire mon mariage là bas, et ensuite commencer les papiers de parainnage ici. Mais bon, c'est peut-être pas le meilleur temps pour aller à Cairo! Il peut faire sa demande, mais il parait que une demande de VISA de touriste refusée peut nuire à la demande de parainnage par la suite. Je ne sais pas si c'est vrai.