Canadian/Ontario vs US Elementary Education

There are important facts for US ex-pats to know about the Ontario/Canadian Public Elementary School system that are difficult to understand until you experience them.  We have learned thru experience that the Ontario Public School system curriculum and academics is weaker than and  up to  1 1/2 years behind the US/Michigan system. (Comparisons were made primarily to the Michigan Curriculum due to our particular needs).

Indeed, our experience in the Oakville Public Schools, an affluent and educated community,  has been the only disappointing factor in our ex-pat move to Canada.  Upon arriving and experiencing the Oakville public schools we have learned that the Ontario elementary curriculum is behind the Michigan curriculum.  Our children spent the 2007-08 school year in Oakville in a highly rated school based on Ontario's EQAO tests.  It was apparent within the first month that the Ontario Curriculum is approximately one to 1 œ years BEHIND the Michigan curriculum and the school we came from.  This surprising discovery led us to dig deeper into a comparison of the Ontario schools and ultimately to pull them out and put them into a Private School we felt better matched the US education/curriculum.

We moved down to Virginia, and surprised that they started a year later... not sure how that relates, but I notice you mention 'affluent neighborhood' as if that should mean better schools.  In the U.S - that is absolutely true, the more money the area has, the better the school, teachers, equipment...etc
Not quite the same in Canada where it's pretty much equal at most schools.
We were not all that impressed with the 'U.S' curriculum during our stay in VA - maths/sciences were pretty much the same, but social studies, history...etc where the focus was solely on the U.S, almost completely ignoring the rest of the world was more than disappointing.
I'm sure you have your reasons, but I don't want the rest of the readers to be allowed to believe that the Canadian system is somehow inferior...

I understand your concern but feel it is important to provide this fact-based curricular information for American ex-pats.  Our post was to help US expats who have been transferred to Canada to understand that the Ontario elementary CURRICULUM as stated by the province is behind the stated MICHIGAN elementary CURRICULUM. This is important for US ex-pats coming to Canada from the US and then anticipating returning to the US as they will find their children behind upon their return to the US. This will not be as true if the children attend private schools in Canada, and most companies (approx. 70%) posting Americans in Canada pay for private education.

The complete analysis specifically showing the CURRICULAR differences can be found on the website for the American Women's Club of Oakville.  www.awco.ca. In conversations with 2 Canadian educational consultants, one who runs an organization focussed on helping ex-pats find the right academic match, my information was validated. THese are not easy discussions to have but important in providing ex-pats the necessary planning tools in their move.

I have already responded to a longer post in regards to this issue. But, as a current administrator and educator in Ontario schools, I challenge the assertion that the Ontario curriculum is behind the Michigan curriculum. I would agree that both the content and emphasis are different, but to imply or suggest that means it is somehow inferior is naive in the extreme.
Part of moving somewhere is the understanding that there will be difference and that in some ways, this difference will be a good thing, and in others, it may not be so positive. What matters is how we deal with, accept, and in some cases overcome those things that we struggle with. And that, I would argue, is a much better lesson to teach our children and a much more relevent one in our world today than any formula out of a book.
The writer of the posts is correct, however, is indicating that for American ex-pats who are only here for a short stay and who want to minimize the potential impact of our different public curriculum - the best choice may be a system that offers the closest model to what they are used to. She is also correct in suggesting that there are a variety of private schools who cater to parents who share her concern.
The point to get across, I guess, is that the choice is there for those who want the choice. Once again, the key is to do your own homework and be a good advocate for your child's needs.

Regards,

M.S.

In a continuation of this topic, I appreciated the additional remarks made by Mr. Sonnemann.  Many of his points are well-taken and of course in good US schools, it is not merely fact repetition that is required but significant critical thinking and problem solving development.  I posted my information because in my attempt to find any comparisons of the two elementary systems prior to coming to Canada there was absolutely no information discussing the issues I discussed.  US citizens are often critical of their own system and the US press continues to ensure that perception. 

I will repeat that it is essential that AMericans coming to Canada make a complete comparison of curriculum expectations between their US system and their potential provincial system.  Additionaly, the comparison must be made not just at higher grades (which is what I did - ie 6th Grade and up) but at the early elementary years to understand the basis of expectations that build upon the higher grades content.  Key areas to compare are specific math expectations Grade 1 thru Grade 5, novel/literary studies and writing expectations.

FOr further detail, I can also be contacted thru this website. My hope is only to help provide some perspective that despite my extensive efforts upfront, I was unable to find on my personal search.