LOOKING FOR WORK AND FRIENDS

am here in port louis looking for work and meeting friends.

am travelling and staying here for 1 year.

maybe sharing beach house with friends.

sincere thanks and hope to hear from you all soon.

Hi Lanelle, welcome to this site & welcome to Mauritius.....

hello lanelle,welcome to mauritius...

onyx

Welcome to Mauritius, comrade.

Lanelle wrote:

Hi Lanelle

You need to go to the French speaking section of this blog in Mauritius and you need to read the Guide For Expats, which is in French. You will see that it isn't as easy to get work as you think. If you are an ex-pat on a tourist visa you can only stay in Mauritius for a maximum of 6 months.

On this English section of the blog there is a thread called 'Denied Visa', which tells you what to do if you want to extend your visa from 3 to 6 months.

Enjoy Mauritius.

thank you all. how much it costs to live in le morne???

are there good nite clubs there???

Lanelle, I am kind of skeptical of the existence of night clubs in Le Morne (as far as I know); most can be pinpointed in Flic En Flac or Grand Baie (which are undoubtedly the most visited ones). Tamarin's not so far though (Big Willy's located there); there is also the C Beach Club, found in Bel Ombre.

is it expensive to live in le morne???

are people there nice???

is it safe to walk the sreets in port louis at night? want to know because by7 pm, there are hardly anyone in the streets?

why are the streets so deserted???

Port Louis is not much of a place where you might want to venture at night, as it embodies almost no nightly places (except for Caudan Waterfront). P.Louis is a daily area. It is preferably to wander in Flic En Flac or Grand Baie at night.

I wouldn't say that Port Louis is so much unsafe at night as dead at night. It's very easy to get freaked out by a random drunk or homeless person when you haven't seen someone in awhile. Also, it can be quite hard to get a taxi after the sun goes down. All in all, if you don't have personal transportation, I'd recommend living a place with more options for activities at night. There's only so much of the Caudan waterfront to go around before it gets boring at night.

As for why it's so deserted: downtown Port Louis is very much a commuter-driven urban area. People tend to live around the edges - still technically in Port Louis, but not the area that most of us go to. Since the cost of a car is quite high, the vast majority of people are governed by the bus schedule to get home, so very few businesses stay open late. A large number of people finish at work by 3 or 4 PM so as to get errands done and still catch the bus, with some lines starting to shut down as early as 6 PM.

It's a chicken-and-egg problem on change, but basically the city rhythms are still running on their 19th century patterns, plus an added alotment for traffic.

thank you all for helping me out.

port louis is a real dead dodo. nobody can be seen after 6pm.

it's dead and only druggies and gangs can be seen roaming the streets. too afraid to go out.

thanks for the info.

will stay indoors uuntil i move out to a safer place.

any suggestion where i can go???

I'll echo NadsMeister's suggestion. If you don't have personal transportation, Flic en Flac and Grand Baie are pretty swell for things to do at night.

don't have a car.

any bar clsoer to portlouis where there is public transportation????

getting very bored nowadays.

Indeed saddening to see that your life is filled up with boredom right now and that you are not able to fully enjoy yourself here (due to a lack of friends, which is within the bound of convention as you're new); worry not, it's only for a short time.

The personals of the blog usually initiate a meet-up plan every now and then. The next one is not too far I believe. You can catch up therein.

And here are some bars which can be pinpointed in Port Louis:-
Shooters Sport Pub and Grill
Within Caudan Waterfront
But the most visited ones are situated in Flic En Flac and Grand Baie.

hi lanelle,its better to have new friends so that you will not get bored we could meet up in caudan port louis with the expats who want to meet ups..

onyx

my suggestion is that you move to grand bay lanelle

I personally dont think that there is a life after 6pm around here. I am not trying to be negative, but its so the truth and what you see around you. Well, for one, night clubs aint the only thing one can do, but thats the only thing apparently, that can be done.

I just miss Asia, many a time. :(

thank you all, very much indeed.

still not knowing where to go at nite!

You are confusing people Lanelle...in one breath you want to know where you can live, in the next its where are the bars????
Did you not do any research whatever before you moved here?
I cant understand anyone chosing to live in Port Louis.
As others have said Grand Baie, Flic en Flac, Pereybere, Trou aux Biches are the places to live.

I agree with most of the comments on here where to live,
for a young or not so young person, but I know Flic en Flac as a tourist area is buzzing in the evenings and seems to have lots to do.

I think if you are lonely then you should consider a move to a more lively place.

Also buses run frequently from Flic en Flac to other areas.

Good luck :)

daisymay2 wrote:

You are confusing people Lanelle...in one breath you want to know where you can live, in the next its where are the bars????
Did you not do any research whatever before you moved here?
I cant understand anyone chosing to live in Port Louis.
As others have said Grand Baie, Flic en Flac, Pereybere, Trou aux Biches are the places to live.

sorry if you have been confused.

the bars i am looking for are intended to kill my current boredom.

in the long term (hopefully soon), i want to get out of this boring portlouis.

maybe, i will go to places where there is more night life.

I thought this thread was about looking for friends and work?Maybe you should stick to the topic before the Expat team sends a warning.;)

alisa_ram wrote:

I thought this thread was about looking for friends and work?Maybe you should stick to the topic before the Expat team sends a warning.;)

well, i just want to share my experience with other ex-pats. nothing wrong i believe although this topic may have disgressed a little bit.

i simply want to feel safe as a woman and share with you the risks that we, female ex--pats do run in a foriegn land.

don't be offended alyssa if you can't feel the same way as me. do you think i should open a new topic and talk about my experiences????

Lanelle you are new to this forum.This is a friendly advice.If you open a thread about a particular subject you have to stick to it.

If you wish to discuss about something else,create a new thread about it.Those are the rules of the blog.Am giving the heads up.That's all.

I don't know if it fully meets your expectation, Lanelle, but Shooters Pub and Grill might a potential hang-out place for you right now.
Or Other possibilities in P. Louis

Lanelle wrote:

Hi,
I thought I'd take us all back to your original posting. Like Daisymay I can't understand why you are in Port Louis. In the beginning I thought you were there because you were staying with some friends and simply wanted to meet some different people. After all, you did write " maybe sharing beach house with some friends."

We have established that you won't be able to work here and that you will have to renew your visa if you want to stay longer than 3 months. You posted 2 weeks ago, so it is now 14 days since your first posting. I don't know how long you have actually been in Mauritius.

People have advised you to move to Flic 'n Flac or Grand Baie where there is more going on and where you stand a much better chance of meeting people of your own age. Have you actually visited these places yet? If you haven't then that's what you've got to do in the next few days. After visiting the places, put an advertisement in the classified section saying that you are looking for a place to rent in whichever place, or that you are wanting to share a flat. Also remember to buy the newspaper and look in the classified section.

Lanelle, I think you now have to be proactive and I think that your next posting should be " I have been to...wherever and that's where I am going to move to", rather than "Where is the nearest bar?"

Actually, I am curious....why did you come to Mauritius? If you are travelling around, well, Mauritius is expensive to get to and  it is expensive to get a flight to anywhere else from here. You are very lucky to have the opportunity to travel for a year, so you have to make the most of it. No point being miserable! By the way, what do you do during the day? If you can't afford to hire a car, buses are cheap.

Anyway, I am sure we all look forward to seeing your next posting after the weekend saying that you have visited Grand Baie and Flic'n Flac and which one you prefer.

alisa_ram wrote:

Lanelle you are new to this forum.This is a friendly advice.If you open a thread about a particular subject you have to stick to it.

If you wish to discuss about something else,create a new thread about it.Those are the rules of the blog.Am giving the heads up.That's all.

well, well, i don't do heads up like you.

thanks for sharing your most intimate experience with us.

Kirinyaga wrote:
Lanelle wrote:

Hi,
I thought I'd take us all back to your original posting. Like Daisymay I can't understand why you are in Port Louis. In the beginning I thought you were there because you were staying with some friends and simply wanted to meet some different people. After all, you did write " maybe sharing beach house with some friends."

We have established that you won't be able to work here and that you will have to renew your visa if you want to stay longer than 3 months. You posted 2 weeks ago, so it is now 14 days since your first posting. I don't know how long you have actually been in Mauritius.

People have advised you to move to Flic 'n Flac or Grand Baie where there is more going on and where you stand a much better chance of meeting people of your own age. Have you actually visited these places yet? If you haven't then that's what you've got to do in the next few days. After visiting the places, put an advertisement in the classified section saying that you are looking for a place to rent in whichever place, or that you are wanting to share a flat. Also remember to buy the newspaper and look in the classified section.

Lanelle, I think you now have to be proactive and I think that your next posting should be " I have been to...wherever and that's where I am going to move to", rather than "Where is the nearest bar?"

Actually, I am curious....why did you come to Mauritius? If you are travelling around, well, Mauritius is expensive to get to and  it is expensive to get a flight to anywhere else from here. You are very lucky to have the opportunity to travel for a year, so you have to make the most of it. No point being miserable! By the way, what do you do during the day? If you can't afford to hire a car, buses are cheap.

Anyway, I am sure we all look forward to seeing your next posting after the weekend saying that you have visited Grand Baie and Flic'n Flac and which one you prefer.

thnanks, but no thanks. i will be leaving soon the island given the things said by alyssa.

maybe, i'll be going to seychelles which apparently is not a dangerous place for women.

it seems mauritius has no laws, no protection for women and has a shocking culture (as per alyssa's dicta!)

i will be leaving soon the island

Hi,

you're not even in MRU now ... (hostname : broadbandsolutions.com.au)

Good bye

Closed