New members of the Mauritius forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mauritius forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mauritius if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello everyone! My name is Barry, I am a South African citizen currently working in Zambia as an agricultural irrigation engineer. I am married to my splendid wife Lorna, and both of us are pushing into our 50's now. We want a change of scenery while we still can, and so I plan for the first time hopefully this year to take Lorna for a small vacation to Mauritius, and especially to look around and see what opportunities there are in the beautiful country. We do not have much wealth, but are happy living our very simple life. Rural life is where we fit in best. Perhaps we will gain better leads and real world guidance on this forum to plan our way forward in re-locating to Mauritius!

Thank you !

Welcome on board, Barry !

The best way to find out if Mauritius suits your needs is indeed to pays us a visit.

Hope your trip here will help you make a choice.

Till then, should you need any info, feel free to open a new thread on the Mauritius forum to interact with members.

All the best

Bhavna

Hey everybody,

My family and I will move to Mauritius in April!

My wife and I have a little daughter, and we run our own business.

First, we want to come on the premium visa. If the country suits us (that is what we expect :-) ), we want to move our businesses completely to Mauritius.

The things we will have to explore will be typical questions about where to live, which school to send our daughter to and how to start a business, and so on...

Best,

Jan

Hello Jan,

Welcome on board !

Feel free to reach out to members on the main Mauritius forum to gather any information you need.

Do you already have an idea in which part of the island you are looking forward to living ?

The Living in Mauritius Guide for Expats might come handy, you will find all first-hand information for a good start.

All the very best

Bhavna

Hallo und guten Morgen, ich bin soeben auf deine Fragen gestoßen und würde dir gern unsere Erfahrungen schildern.

Wie ich gelesen habe, wollt ihr im April nach Mauritius kommen. Es ist gut, dass ihr das Visum rechtzeitig beantragt habt, bei uns hat es länger gedauert als angenommen, das lag aber wohl an technischen Störungen im System, so sagte man es uns zumindest. Wir haben unser Visum im Oktober beantragt und es Ende Dezember bekommen. Bei anderen hat es sich wohl nur um Stunden gehandelt, naja in der Regel geht das aber problemlos durch.

Wir sind Ende November mit unseren zwei Söhnen (5Jahre & 3Jahre) nach Mauritius gegangen und haben uns im Vorgeld intensiv mit den Schulen auseinander gesetzt. Letztendlich wird die Wahl des Wohnsitzes mehr oder weniger von der Wahl der Schule abhängen, da einige Schulen bereits Wartelisten (2Jahre Vorlauf) haben.

Unsere beiden Söhne gehen auf die Telfair International School, die sich im Westen (Tamarin) befindet. Wir hatten allerdings auch eine Schule im Norden (Saint Exupéry International School - Ecole Internationale Saint Exupéry), die wir in der Auswahl hatten.

Also weiterhin viel Spass bei den Vorbereitungen.

Beste Grüße aus Mauritius

Sarah & Stefan

@stefanhkl Danke für deine Nachricht!

Besichtigung und Anmeldung an Schulen steht bei uns auch gleich als erstes an.

Viele Grüße aus Hamburg und vielleicht bis bald auf Mauritius!

Jan

Hello everyone,

Please note that this forum is an English-speaking one, so kindly write only in English. 1f601.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Sorry my fail

Hi there !

I'm Mathilde, coming from Reunion Island with my companion Mathieu in August for work. We had a great professional opportunity and we loved our holidays here so much in December that we decided to move !

Looking forward to meeting our new life and the people here !

We would love to settle in Tamarin, or Albion, so if anyone has any advice please let us know !

See you guys 😁

Hello Mathilde,

Welcome on board !

Feel free to open your own thread on the Mauritius forum to ask your questions to members.

You may also have a look at the forum Ile Maurice (francophone).

All the very best

Bhavna

good evening to all I am a young student with a license in fundamental physics I would like to settle in Mauritius I would like to know if there are work opportunities that will allow me to live there without major worries thank you!!! !*** my contact if someone can help me to do the procedure

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello ndembethephile,

Welcome on board !

You may drop an advert in the Jobs in Mauritius section of the website to give a boost to your search.

Professional experience is also important.

All the best

Bhavna

Hello I am Sarah.i am looking for a part time job nearby Tamarin and riviere noire as maid or nanny.feel free to leave me a message here thank you

Hello Sarah,

Welcome !

Please drop an advert and create your CV in the Jobs in Mauritius section.

Thank you

Bhavna

Hello, My name is Teye from Ghana. I just arrived in Mauritius as an expat. Want to learn more things about this beautiful country, and looking to connect with some of the Ghanaians here as well.

Hello everyone

So I recently found out that I qualify for my Mauritius passport by decent so I'm planning on moving back to Mauritius after 20 years.

Super excited, however with that being said... I'm currently looking for employment as well as a place to rent.

I currently work for a Bank in Cape Town as a Fraud Detection Analyst with previous experience as a Complaints Management Officer at the bank.

I'm versatile and adapt easily. I understand Creole however I can't really speak it as I haven't spoken creole for over 20 years.

Please do reach out to me if you have any positions available or know of any company that might have a vacancy available.

My husband is an architectural technologist and is seeking employment as well.

Thanks again everyone, and I hope to meet some of you soon.

Warm regards

Meesha

Hello Meesha,

Welcome to the Mauritius forum and thank you for this lovely introduction!

Have you been back to Mauritius in these 20 years?

The first thing to do would be to read the Living in Mauritius guide for expats. You will find all the information that you need in order to better prepare your expatriation journey.

After reading this guide, if you have any questions, you can add your own thread on the Mauritius forum.

Do you have any idea of where you would like to settle down in the island?

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hi there

I still have family in Mauritius.

My Nani lives in Palma, Quatre Borne. So preferably around Quatre Borne Flic en Flaq side.

I haven't been to Mauritius in those 20 years but my mom goes to Mauritius every second year.

I'll have a look through the guide and see what I've missed.

:)

1f600.svg1f600.svg

Hi expats,

I am Sopulu Grace from Nigeria. I am single. I am a Special Educator. I studied Special Education with a specialization in Audiology and Speech Pathology. I will like to get connected with Special Educators in Mauritius  and possibly settle and work there. I am very fluent in English and understand a little French.

Hi everyone, planning to move to Mauritius by the end of the year, hopefully! ;) I'm a 49 years old frenchman and I have an industrial+sales background... one question, I cannot see the list of subcategories, I can guess most of them on the right side of the main page when I scroll down, seeing the last topics, but where is the full list?! 1f914.svg thanks  >> OK just found out, it is at the VERY VERY end of the main page ! :D

Hello CHCH34,

Welcome on board ^^

Just in case topics are here :

English : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=108

French : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4040

All the best

Bhavna

Hello Dear People

I am from SA and non-binary

Would like to meet non-binaries and know to meet them when I land soon.

contact me privately  if you wish via this forum

Bye XXXXX

Celina

Hello celinaNB,

Welcome to Expat.com1f601.svg

You can post an advert in the Mauritius classifieds section.

There is a category for friendship.

Feel free to tell us more about yourself in the description.

How long will you stay in Mauritius?

If I may ask, what brought you here?

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi Everyone!

I am moving to Mauritius from South Africa in Mid-February. Initially I will be moving alone before my wife joins me in a few months.

I am looking for a short term, furnished rental apartment on the West of Island for occupation from 1 March. Most of the agencies I have reached out to only deal with landlords looking for long term rentals. Would appreciate any advice on how to find short term options?

Hello PrabirPaima,

Welcome to expat.com!

You can check the Housing in Mauritius section. You might something that interests you there.

Also, if you are looking for any advice, I invite you to start you own thread on the Mauritius forum.

This will help you to gather information more quickly1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hello Everyone,

my Name is Falko from Germany/Italy, 40 years old.

Was working long time in the Security sector here in Germany.

Would like to move too Mauritius, but still dónt know how and where to start.

Is there a demand in my field on the Island?

I speak English, German Italian and spanisch. . .

First would like too come here as a tourist for a longer time to find out more about everything

and make some connections.

I would be glad for any help and some informations.

Kind Regard, Falko

@Guest9753

Hi Teye,Im Audrey would love to be your friend,I enjoy Ghanaian food.please text me on ***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you

Hello my name is Billy. I am from South Africa,  my wife is Filipino. I am retired and I applied for the retirement visa. If all goes as planned we will be in Mauritius soon.

Hello Billy,

Welcome on board !

If you need any info, feel free to open your own thread on the Mauritius forum or participate on existing threads to interact with members.

All the very best

Bhavna

@longbb8

Hi Billy,

I'm Yvonne van Schendel and we also live in SA. At the moment we're in Mauritius, but as soon as we are back in SA, we will apply for the retire permit.

Can we chat on WhatsApp to discuss some matters. My SA number is ***

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Contact details

Hello vanschendelyvonne,

Welcome to Expat.com  1f601.svg

Please note that your contact details were removed for some security reasons, such information should not be posted on the forum.

You can share them by using the private messaging system.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@vanschendelyvonne the requirements for the retirement permit gets updated from time to time.   As of now it will cost me  approx R80000 to get the  permit  This consists of $1000 application fee $1500 deposit into Mauritian account  and 2 return tickets to Mauritius. Cost of hotel  and food in Mauritius and medical  checkup. There is also the costs of adding my wife to the permiit. 

hi there

my name is solange and have lived most of my adult life abroad.

i am a RETURNEE and am so glad i made the right decision

hope to meet you all or some of you

bye now x

Hello ckck67671,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

You should definitely start by reading the Living in Mauritius guide for expats.

Then please tell us what are you planning to do here.

Are you looking for information to visit the island on a tourist visa, student or woking one?

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi,

Marina and Ian. Waiting for them to finish building our apartment in Grand Baie . So we can come and look what it's like. And maybe apply for retirement visa.

Have a million questions.

Kind regards

Ian

Hello Ian,

Welcome on board !

Feel free to interact with members of the Mauritius forum should you need any info.

All the very best

Bhavna

@Julien

Thanks Julien for starting this thread.

Hi everyone,

My name is Michael, I am 23 and from South Africa.

I live in Grand Baie and consult for a Management Company with offices in RSA. (Investments, moving companies to Mauritius and permits).

Been here for 6 weeks and will definitely be here for quite a few years at the least.

I enjoy hiking and rowing. Currently looking to join a touch rugby league if someone knows about one in the North.

Regards

Good day all,

My name is Magnus Heystek and my wife Sue and I have been in the Black River area for 6 years now.

I am with Brenthurst Wealth from SA and we have set up several companies in Mauritius, including Brent Wealth, Brent Properties and lately Brent Consulta, our trust management company with offices in Black River and Grand Baie.

We have been assisting many South Africans to move to Mauritius and settle here, assisting with buying of property, setting up of companies and managing their global portfolios from the island.

We have formed a jont venture with Pam Golding to market Mauritius properties to interested buyers from South Africa.

We absolutely love the lifestyle and the Mauritian people and have made many great new friends. We love the  very low levels of crime--probably the major factor behind the decision the relocate.

Closed