Driver in Riyadh

I've been here about 5 days now and have ventured out only a couple of times besides going to work. I wanted to know if anyone knows of a driver that has at least some English skills that they could put me in touch with. I need to go grocery shopping and will most likely want to go to the malls over the Eid holiday. I am concerned that if I just take a cab, I may have a problem trying to get back to my hotel if I use two different drivers. I have considered setting the GPS location of my hotel and just showing it to a driver, but would feel much more confident if I was able to use one driver.

when you get a cab just get their number and call them when you need them that way he'll know where your hotel is and he might even give you a good deal if you use him alot.

@jyurong : You could use R80Gs'ers idea. Most cabbies are helpful as long as you dont get a saudi guy. they might not understand english much. Ask your hotel desk if they have the numbers of a few cabs, sometimes they do else the Bellboy or the room service guys might be able to help too..

Cheers!

I agree. Sometimes hotels have certain arrangements with certain cabs. Tell the frontdesk where are you heading and they will find a cab for you and even they will tell the cab driver where you want to go. You can tell the driver(or ask the front-desk to tell his) when tentatively you want to return. He (the driver) will make sure to stick around and wait for you to take you back to your hotel. It is always a good idea to write down the address of your hotel both in English and in Arabic and keep it with you all the time!

But @jyurong, please try to avoid the saudi cabies. Soon, the faces will be familiar and you'll be able to tell them from other nationalities.

For now, whenever you take a cab, allow him speaking a fair amount (not just yes/no only). If he can't, most probably he's a saudi.

The arrangments thru Hotels that other mates have mentioned above is quite a safe way of course.

use london taxi in riyadh they are expensive but very good. I believe 30 min for 60 SAR and 90 min for 150 and so on.

Thank you

thats expensive samUSA70 !! ok try my company " Best Rent a car " i think they will give you a car with driver for 150 per day ...

this is all the branches in Riyadh :

Al Oroba Street - 4612400

King Khaled Air Port - 2202678

Exit 5 - 2755000

Exit 10 - 2498918

Al Malaz - 4749094

london taxi services

tel 920010068

NaderHamza wrote:

thats expensive samUSA70 !! ok try my company " Best Rent a car " i think they will give you a car with driver for 150 per day ...

this is all the branches in Riyadh :

Al Oroba Street - 4612400

King Khaled Air Port - 2202678

Exit 5 - 2755000

Exit 10 - 2498918

Al Malaz - 4749094

-------
do you have a monthly rate.... and should i tell them your name and will get a VIP treatmenet? :)  thank you man.

Used London Taxi service this evening to go to Tamimi for groceries... Very good impression, with one big complaint. The cab arrived about 30 minutes after I called them. The cab was *extremely* clean and *very* nice. The driver spoke good english (was from Pakistan) and had no problem taking me to where i needed to go. The big complaint is he ended up waiting on me while I was in the store so I was charged for 2.5 hours of service (when the driving time was actually around 50 mintutes, so it ended up costing me $250 Riyals. Will I use the service again? Maybe, if I was to be taken somewhere and dropped of and only charged for the driving time.

No no! Sorry to hear that!! You should have asked the driver to leave you and come back at a certain time; not to wait for you and charge you while you aren't sitting beside him!!!

P.S. no need to use the dollar sign before the SAR :)

Next time I will definitely do that - I told him it would be around an hour, but I got stuck in the store during prayer time which added another 30 minutes. Anyway, all in all I am not so upset, because I got a lot of the foods I am used too - but I sure wont be able to spend that kind of money on a  daily bases just for a driver.

SamUSA70 wrote:

do you have a monthly rate.... and should i tell them your name and will get a VIP treatmenet? :)  thank you man.

no need to tell them about me coz im at dammam and new at this company ... and i think i'll leave it this month ... and i think they have monthly rent with driver but i dont know how match .. coz im with fleet not working with daily rent ,,

I'm looking for a reliable car/driver to get my wife to and from work each day.  She works at the DQ and we live only about 10 - 15 mins away so total of about 30 mins of a drivers time per day.
Also, any idea roughly how much this would cost me on a monthly basis?