Expats-how are you finding life in Cape Town?

Hi there

I am a UK based 35 year old Mum of 2 who is considering relocating to Cape Town with my S.A'n partner (we have been together 18 months an have 3 children between us).

I have visited Cape Town last year and had mixed feelings about the place (mainly as my partner told me to feel afraid as then I will be "on guard"!) Having researched and researched this place (the good and the bad!) I am seeking more personal experiences from Expats who have moved to South Africa (though all points of view welcomed I am particularly keen to hear from thos who have emigrated from the UK).

Please give me your thoughts/experiences/tips and any pointers on how to make friend's upon arrival (hopefully relocating within the next 12 months!)
Many MANY thanks for giving of you time :-)

Hi there,

I am a British mum of one and also looking to relocate to Cape Town with my husband (British) in the next 6 months. I would also be very interested in hearing expat's experiences regarding what Cape Town is like for families and how easy it would be to make friends there.

The South Africans we know in Cape Town say it's very easy to make friends although it would be useful to know what groups/socities exist to meet up with other expats.

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to your question directly, but it seems we are in a similar situation.

Good luck with your move. Thanks to anyone with good advice on the above.

I personally think Cape Town is a wonderful place to be. It depends what kind of person you are of course and where your interests lie, but I have found that if you love life and cherish family life, then Cape Town can easily become a home. It is fairly safe compared to other parts of South Africa. There are lots of areas where you can sun-tan, have your kids go for a walk or ride on their bikes along the promenade (a wide stretch bordering the sea), there are nice things for kids to do such as the beach, enjoy being outdoors and breathe in fresh air. As adults you feel still young as the lifestyle here is very laid-back, people enjoy organic eating, fresh produce, cheese and wine, all the good things in life which promote a sense of well-being. There is also so much to do in terms of activities within the place but also in terms of festivals, shows, and so on.

i think cape town is pretty cool, overall.

i'm very picky about the people who i hang out with -- but am slowly getting over that -- but all in all, i've had a largely good time in cape town, acrimonious, wallet-draining divorce notwithstanding. lol. but that could have happened anywhere.

on paper, the crime is worse in cape town than most other big cities, but what the crime stats don't tell you is that most of the crime happens between people who know each other and concentrated in a few areas, more or less, not like two other cities where the big crime area is right next to a very posh area.

i honestly don't believe you would have issues here. you'd have a more difficult time finding decent schools -- you'll probably have to go private, and even then you might want a tutor. if you plan on being here long-term, then definitely send your kid to a high school that offers either a-levels or the international baccalaureate; the matric exam is increasingly becoming worth less than the paper on which it's printed.