Home affairs marriage interview questions

Foreigner here from US getting marry next month in South  africa to my partner who lives there . We heading to Johannesburg. Does anyone knows or remember the interview question ask ,

Wow - it was so long ago I don't remember - but as long as you know your partner well and are clear on the purpose of your move here you won't have a problem getting through the questions.

It is my understanding that having been married to a SA citizen or Permanent Resident,  for a minimum of 5 years, you can apply for your own Permanent Resident assuming you are living in SA. Obtaining the ID BOok with # can take an additional year or more.  COVID lockdown really hurt the ablity of DHA to carry out their duties. IN my case they were not releasing ID Books to do "Crowd Control" in their offices.

Unfortunately my wife passed after I received my Permanent Residence. But as it is written, 2 years after receiving your Permanent Residency, DHA will confirm by interview that your marital relationship is still in tact.  I would assume they would want to see proof of residency (Water Bill for example with both your names on it).

What exact questions they ask I have no clue.  But in the event of the passing of your SA Spouse before the 2 years, there is no problem. You retain your Permanent Residency.

One thing to also consider is your Foreign Drivers License.  In my case it expired before I received my ID Book.  One must have a SA ID to exchange your foreign license for a SA license.  Otherwise you start off as a "Learner" and must go through the drill.

Because my ID Book was issued well in advance of the expiry of the US License, I was granted an extention and only needed to take an eye test then exchange my license. They did no keep my foreign license as it mentioned in some of the literature.  But keep an eye on the expiry of the Foreign drivers license.  If you are in the Western Cape I can assue you the folks in Cape Town work with you very well to resolve issues.

My partner is also thinking of moving to South Africa soon and sertlong here. We have both decided that he should 1st find work on this side and after 3 months we can them marry. But how difficult it is to find a job for a foreigner? Is there a website i can visit so that he can start applying for a job soon and come to South Africa