"Anything Goes" thread

@ Herman.Ka

@ Planner

Absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much. I'm very grateful for both your knowledge, insights and tips. It's feels like your providing a travelers bag of tricks which serves as a very beneficial light for one venturing into unchartered territory as I have never personally driven a motor vehicle while visiting the DR.

What auto insurance company would you recommend?? Are there any that stand out above the rest in terms of professionalism and their overall reputation?

Car insurance thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 15#5894368

@planner way to not let folks water racism down.  I figured there was some racism against those with darker skin; much like the rest of the world unfortunately.        -@ondami

Not just light against dark, but also dark against light.
Zimbabwe is a prime example, but they have some level of excuse when you consider how white colonionalist treated them.
Indonesia sees anti-Chinese racist stupidity, and Japan sees anti-anything not Japanese xenophobia.
The US seems obsessed with skin colour (all sides).
The problem with racism is it groups rather than looks at people as individuals, but the biggest problem with the anti-racist argument is calling everyone a racist that objects to anything the mob supports.

-@Fred

I appreciate your previous comments about hate and racism where you inject humor as a finishing touch regarding hate to exclude math teachers! Wonderfully done!

And once more you grace this forum, this thread with your personal world view perspective on several fronts in regards to one form or another of discrimination, racism or whatever name the parties concerned choose to label it.

Regardless of being watered down or not, discrimination, prejudice or racism, it always comes out and rears its ugly nature because one cannot always hide what is really inside one regardless of societies attempts to teach and preach against it as a moral wrong and agaisnt the law in many countries yet it is still among us, in the DR and probably everywhere around the world.

In my humble opinion or belief, agree to disagree, I think the solution is their is no solution as this is part of the collective human condition called ignorance. As individuals, we can grow and learn and become enlightened in this journey called life. It's all up to the individuals personal growth. As more and more individuals become enlightened more light comes into the world and ignorance diminishes little by little at the individual level across space and time, generation after generation, etc.

When ignorance is finally extiguished out of the human condition, that will be the end of all wars and disputes as humanity will finally understand when one prospers we all prosper becuase we will help and support all humanity across the world. We are showing good signs as humanitarian organizations of all sorts have been created to provide help and support where it is needed.

Unfortunately, tragedy through ignorance still continue as the news reports of that war in the middle east show the most recent attack of hate targeted the humanitarian aid that was on it's way to that troubled region in need of help.

Ignorance is part of the human condition because it has not been uprooted yet, it is what it is and will remain in this world until that day when the war of ignorance and enlightment is settled once and for all.

My personal model is to show respect for all no matter what period as what goes around comes around.

@Herman.Ka

Thank you for help with my car insurance question. Appreciated.

Please excuse grammar as noticed misspelling errors here and there and for using the wrong word - their instead of there and vise versa. I'll begin using the spell-checker tool before hitting the send button.

Please excuse grammar as noticed misspelling errors here and there and for using the wrong word - their instead of there and vise versa. I'll begin using the spell-checker tool before hitting the send button.

-@Nanosaso

You kidding honey??? Your posts are all well written and well thought out.  It seems you are able to put time into your responses!   Unlike some of mine as I am responding on the fly!

@Nanosaso love your post.

That of which you speak sounds a lot like the wisdom og Gary Zukav in his book ”The Seat of the Soul”.

@planner way to not let folks water racism down.  I figured there was some racism against those with darker skin; much like the rest of the world unfortunately.        -@ondamiNot just light against dark, but also dark against light.Zimbabwe is a prime example, but they have some level of excuse when you consider how white colonionalist treated them.Indonesia sees anti-Chinese racist stupidity, and Japan sees anti-anything not Japanese xenophobia.The US seems obsessed with skin colour (all sides). The problem with racism is it groups rather than looks at people as individuals, but the biggest problem with the anti-racist argument is calling everyone a racist that objects to anything the mob supports.        -@FredI appreciate your previous comments about hate and racism where you inject humor as a finishing touch regarding hate to exclude math teachers! Wonderfully done! And once more you grace this forum, this thread with your personal world view perspective on several fronts in regards to one form or another of discrimination, racism or whatever name the parties concerned choose to label it. Regardless of being watered down or not, discrimination, prejudice or racism, it always comes out and rears its ugly nature because one cannot always hide what is really inside one regardless of societies attempts to teach and preach against it as a moral wrong and agaisnt the law in many countries yet it is still among us, in the DR and probably everywhere around the world. In my humble opinion or belief, agree to disagree, I think the solution is their is no solution as this is part of the collective human condition called ignorance. As individuals, we can grow and learn and become enlightened in this journey called life. It's all up to the individuals personal growth. As more and more individuals become enlightened more light comes into the world and ignorance diminishes little by little at the individual level across space and time, generation after generation, etc. When ignorance is finally extiguished out of the human condition, that will be the end of all wars and disputes as humanity will finally understand when one prospers we all prosper becuase we will help and support all humanity across the world. We are showing good signs as humanitarian organizations of all sorts have been created to provide help and support where it is needed. Unfortunately, tragedy through ignorance still continue as the news reports of that war in the middle east show the most recent attack of hate targeted the humanitarian aid that was on it's way to that troubled region in need of help. Ignorance is part of the human condition because it has not been uprooted yet, it is what it is and will remain in this world until that day when the war of ignorance and enlightment is settled once and for all. My personal model is to show respect for all no matter what period as what goes around comes around.        -@Nanosaso

Nice! You're living in a beautiful world!

Sorry to interrupt: never thought about situation like if something even more dramatic happens in Haiti (I don't know... gangs will throw the government away and will start robbing the banks and shooting people on the streets or something like that) and hundreds of thousands Haitians will break through the borders into DR. Thousands of completely unenlightened gang member will come with them because there is a lot what to grab in DR and it's fun, and nobody will punish for that. And let's say, you live in a nice villa in a gated community in Sosua. These criminals who came to rob, rape and kill, will see your nice villa, you and your wife, and they will think "hmm, maybe we should get enlighten and go back to our country and continue living in our shity metal boxes on $1 a day"?   

@planner

Thank you so much. It means alot, I really appreciate your message. Plus, I know you work hard to answer so many posts in all the threads across this forum, so your efforts are most appreciated regardless if "some responses are done on the fly ".  Sending you a big heart felt friendly hug my dear. Thank you for all you do here for all of us and also for those whom contribute with additional answers and advise.

Thank you Planner you are wonderful!

@Herman  uprisings etc  in Haiti are not that unusual.  The Govt here is well aware of what is going on and has plans in place!  They have shut down the boarder for almost all people.   

What you writing strikes me as  fear mongering.  I have been here  20 years and never once felt unsafe because of the issues in Haiti.

@Nanosaso love your post.
That of which you speak sounds a lot like the wisdom og Gary Zukav in his book ”The Seat of the Soul”.

-@ondami

Thank very much Ondami. It gives me much pleasure to know my message reached you as the following post reveals my message did not come across as the response shows my message bounced out reach, hence, it was totally misinterpreted. My honest opinion as I read their response.

This is why there is so much misunderstandings. No matter how educated any individual maybe. I truly am surprised how anyone could misinterpret what I attempted to convey.

However, I also know through personal and general knowledge that well meaning messages fall on death ears and the reason for this has to do with varying factors as each individual is perceiving the world they live in according to how their mind is wired. Neuroscience teaches how experiences affect our neuro-receptors in our brains and so a pattern of thinking is developed hence the way are brains are internally wired. Call it pessimist, optimist or realist - they all come back to how we are wired and the experiences we have been through plus ones own common sense and we may learned along the way factor how we perceive the world to be - be it pure reliance on statistics, common sense, practical thinking, so on and so forth- to include everything under the sun.

Please understand, i'm not attempting to say one form of thinking is better than another. not in the least. To be crystal clear, what I am attempting to get across is everyone has their own way of thinking - I'm just saying this is what it is period. To reiterate, we all have our own way of thinking and that's all I'm saying.

Hopefully, this message gets through the way i intended it to. If not, I only wish for the best for all as I've learned to respect all views and acknowledge whatever message they may have to better understand where and how they may view the world. It's always good to listen regardless of our views as we can always learn from others - I see this as a valuable tool to help me further deepen my understanding of individual contrasting views.

here is my analogy as to understanding the world around me. Take for example a ship at sea before all modern technology was introduced, navigation is guided by nautical charts, compass and the heavenly constellation.

Now, being at sea the ship uses look-outs positioned on all sides (port and starboard, forward and aft) and equipped with binoculars to further the distance of view onto the horizon. Naturally the ship's crew and captain were equipped with earlier navigational tools as well. If lets say for example how many technological advances have further enhanced nautical navigation we can see how humanity has advanced in this field. Obvoiusly, humanity has advanved in countless other fields as we go through time. When, education through schooling traditional or home schooling becomes available and unhindered, when all types of disciplines or field of study or professions are introduced to students, it awakens they're instinctive nature to pursue one discipline or another. This action of studying and learning broadens the neuron receptors to a higher thinking further eradicating ignorance as one grows learning more and more. Our thought process adapts and transforms if you will the minds of each individual working together in teams in a field or dicipline which as we've seen has advanced as new revelations our discovered and scientifically lab tested. This is true across all fields throughout space and time as history has shown.   

Planner had mentioned on previous posts, it's all about "adaptability" and "balance" which I also agree with.

To each his or her own. We are all free to think for ourselves. reminds me back to university days - a course named "Critical Thinking". It opens one up to go further in deeper thought for a larger full scope on any given topic. If the answer is hidden it pin points exactly where to look like that of detective work looking for the culprit.

Also, I have to mention I am not familiar with the character Gary Zukav mentioned as author of that book, however, you have inspired me to get my hands on a copy! 1f60a.svg

Thank so much. I really appreciate your kind words.

@Herman.Ka

I must say, honestly speaking, your response to my recent post is tremendously appreciated. I'm not joking.

As your views truly enhance my learning of the human condition of which we are all a part of.

If we all agreed on every matter or topic, the world would lose it's balance and for that I'm truly grateful for all your input and I mean it - all your input and advise, I always learn from your contributions, help and support. I really do.

Herman, your have proven to be a very valued member in my book.

Sincerely.

Thank you

@ Herman.Ka

Also, I further elaborated my reaction to your recent response in my response to Ondami.

Please note, though I was surprised by your response, I respect it. I's not good or bad, it is your view and I respect ball points of view because it shows the rest of us how members of society view the world.

Like I previously mentioned, I'm grateful to have your company in this Forum.

Thanks.

LOL - I just don't know how these typo errors continue to slip by. Once more, my apologies.

@ Herman.Ka

I know you had mentioned you like to read the numbers in statistics research. With that in mind, in regards to your hypothetical consequence regarding Haitians storming across the border, The DR has driven them out on three previous occassions that is not to mention how a previous dictator "Trujillo", had them all Haitians killed as an answer to all the complaints he received. mind you back in 1937, their wasn't the highway and roads they have in place today. However, the dictator did what he felt necessary to fix the Haitian problem in the DR at that time.

The Haitian immigrant problem slowly took root after the dictator's assassination in 1961. Side note, did you know the Dominican peso was equal to the US dollar during his reign as Trujillo had paid off the national debt?

This goes to show, there you can find good in all things no matter how bad it looks if we look without bias.   

@ Herman.Ka
I know you had mentioned you like to read the numbers in statistics research. With that in mind, in regards to your hypothetical consequence regarding Haitians storming across the border, The DR has driven them out on three previous occassions that is not to mention how a previous dictator "Trujillo", had them all Haitians killed as an answer to all the complaints he received. mind you back in 1937, their wasn't the highway and roads they have in place today. However, the dictator did what he felt necessary to fix the Haitian problem in the DR at that time.

The Haitian immigrant problem slowly took root after the dictator's assassination in 1961. Side note, did you know the Dominican peso was equal to the US dollar during his reign as Trujillo had paid off the national debt?

This goes to show, there you can find good in all things no matter how bad it looks if we look without bias.   

-@Nanosaso

I really appreciate your knowledge of history. But my previous post was not to scare someone. I just wanted to create a hypothetical scenario where a good person who loves everybody and wants total justice and world peace, and lives in a strong believe that everybody should do the same, all of a sudden gets face to face with the rest 90% of the world, who don't want any peace. I believe people like live in some detachment from a real world. For some reason, i fail to understand, they don't think about consequences of their ideas.

I only used Haiti as an example because this thread must be related to DR.

I could use another real world example, where lots of peace lovers lived in very close proximity of their enemy. They lived there, worked hard, turned desert into oasis, helped their enemy, fed them, gave them jobs, provided high class medical services for free, electricity, water, and still felt bad and guilty for their enemy hated them so much, didn't want to work and prosper, but dedicated their lives to killing naive peace-lovers. And the enemy didn't even hide their intentions. They always clearly declared them in a spoken and written word. Peace-lovers didn't believe them. They thought "we can change them".

One day peace-lovers gathered on a big open space concert, dedicated to what? To peace, of course. Thousands of peace-lovers came from all over the country. They wanted to send a message to their enemy: "see how we love you? we sing songs about love and peace. You should enlighten, forget differences and love us back". That concert happened in a close proximity of the enemy's border.

Hamas prepared for the attack for very long time. Months, maybe years. But they attacked on the day of the concert because they knew they could kill many more people. In that massacre they managed to kill about 1200 peace-lovers with a cruelty unseen in the modern world. It was a biblical scale of cruelty.         

I lived in that area in 1991-1993. 2km of that border. I worked in those agriculture communities. But then I decided to come to Canada, and my cousin, a guy of my age, my very close friend since our youth years, stayed. Sweet, kind, calm, funny guy, always smiling. He owed a gas station and a fuel tanker. Somehow he got a government contract to supply the enemy with fuel, and drove his truck few times a day to a terminal on the border. One day in 2001 they shot his truck with a grenade launcher when he was unloading his fuel at the terminal. He died - burned, actually, two girls left without a father. One of them is in Europe now, another is in the army, killing them. I don't think you can convince her to enlighten and forget.

@Herman  uprisings etc  in Haiti are not that unusual.  The Govt here is well aware of what is going on and has plans in place!  They have shut down the boarder for almost all people.   
What you writing strikes me as  fear mongering.  I have been here  20 years and never once felt unsafe because of the issues in Haiti.

-@planner

Sorry, didn't mean it, only wanted to use some scenario for our academic discussion.

@Nanosaso you are welcome.  the book again is called ”The Seat of the Soul”.

I hope you are able to find a copy.

Everyone everywhere must accept that there are absolutely horrible possibilities these days.  We are more likely to have a hurricane than any other possibility based on history.

@ Ondami

Will be researching and placing my order soon.

Thanks again.

@ Herman.Ka

For your loss I'm sorry you were directly impacted by the violent nature of what you mentioned. Could you explain a man who plans according to statistics, what were you doing living in a country with a nasty history of war on and off again, where all it's bordering neighbors want to wipe them off the map.

I don't understand your logic? It is totally contradictory to your previous statements posted as planning according to statistics. Why would you live and work with close proximity to danger of attack in a place statiscally prone to attacks? It just doesn't make any sense especially coming from you.

Maybe this personal negative experience you mentioned is the source of your nature (negative views) - call "realist" or whatever you choose. However, as we can all read your previous posts,  they are tainted with negative scenarios. Can you agree to this honest observation? I am not debating you. I'm just attempting to understand you, nothing more.

At least now, I have gained perspective to your form of viewing the world. You just can't help it as it ingrained in you so it appears. Thank you for revealing it. Now we know where your coming from as your negative outlook is projected onto your posts.

It appears your traumatic experience while living in a notorious dangerous place has obviously affected you. Am sorry you had to experience this.

This cycle of violence in that place demonstrates how both sides are held slaves to war over territory and faith. I will not go any further into this as it is not DR related.

Thank you for sharing and volunteering what you went through. I understand your point of views now as it stems from an up and close painful experience.

Though I don't know eacother, you have my condolences regardless of how long ago this tragedy may have happened.

Truly

Let's get back on track please.  DR related.  Anyone who wants to can have private conversations.

Can one find 50:1 premium mix fuel and oil, Ethanol free for motorized yard tools for sale in the DR?

If so, what stores sell or can one find to buy?

Are they any big box stores like COSTCO, or BJ's and Hardware stores like HomeDepot or Lowe''s or similar stores in the DR?

@Nanosaso

To simplify your search, you can just try to find an ethanol-free gas on a gas station or a marine, and mix it yourself with a 2-stroke oil.

In Canada since like a year ago you can't find anywhere ethanol-free gas except an aviation fuel (AV gas) in a local small airport. I know because I use it for may 2-stroke paramotor engine. Even marinas started selling gas only with ethanol. So I doubt you'll find it in DR. They most likely don't have their own refinery and get gas from the US.

Try local private airport.

Yeah, gas with ethanol sucks. Every couple of years you have to change fuel lines, filters, rebuild your carburetor...

A poster was asking about lawyers in another thread. I  have no clue how to help that poster, but I can tell you where to find a lawyer for work in 20 to 30 years time.

Just pop to a home for the abandoned children of unmarried mothers. Their birth status gives them a flying start to enter the legal profession.

What on earth are you talking about Fred??? Nevermind answering you have no idea about lawyers here.

@Herman.Ka

Thank you Herman. I appreciate it.

Ok let's clarify what THIS thread is for.

It's for everything you are not allowed to discuss elsewhere.

Threads with various topics are searchable. Someone with the same question as you can find answers by searching.

This thread is not easily searched. Moving forward I will remove any questions that belong elsewhere. And please do not repeat questions you asked in another thread.

@Nanosaso

I'm suuuuure the fact that the freed Haitian slaves eventually killed* nearly every European settler in Haiti -- men, women and children -- had absolutely nothing to do with the disinterest in investing resources in Haiti.

[Yes, my eyes are rolling in my sockets.  Hugely!!]

One can agree that French colonial rule in Haiti was vicious and unfair, without accepting that it was okay to rape, torture and multilate, and eventually execute, every European settler or official, even if they never owned a slave. 

The simple consequence of such radical revolutionary "actions" was to keep Haiti uninvestable for many decades. 

And please, don't blame that on just the unjust reparations demanded by France.  Haitii has has a couple centuries now to fix or overcome that.  The governments of Haiti have been mostly inspired by Marxist/Communist/Socialist utopian ideologies.  Making and keeping Haiti uninviting for foreign capital investments. 

Wave after wave of aid and "rescue packages" from Western governments have failed to fix Haiti's problems.  Billions more in private and religious donations and service have further failed to make one whit of difference. 

Only Haiti can fix its fundamental probems.  When/if they ever do, the world will stream into Port-Au-Prince.

Where's my proof of this?  The DR itself.  Same island.  Occasionally the same country, even.  Much shared hiatory. 

But the DR hasn't gotten nearly as wrapped in Socialism and Marxism as Haiti.  With a more capitalist approach to their economy, the DR and ita citizens have thrived by comparison to Haiti.

Again you might respond: "Oh but the DR is so unfair and stratified, with too many poor people."

BALDERDASH!!  Ask any Dominican if he wants to move to Haiti, and the answer is a resounding NO!! Usually fillowed by a string of amplifying expletives just to make sure you understood that NO means ABSOLUTELY 1000% NO, NEVER EVER!! 

IF YOU ASK HAITIANS IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO MOVE TO THE DR, the response is invariably 1000% !!YES!! times 10,000, and they'll already be packing their bags before you can change your mind. 

People flee FROM communist countries.  People flee TO capitalist nations. 

The French gave Haiti a bad deal -- so what.  That was a couple centuries ago!!  Get over it!!

@Fred

You can't cure stupidity, so hope or praying to your preferred dietary is all you have.

Great point.  Personally, I've always found it far more rewarding to pray to meat products rather than potatoes or plantain. 

263a.svg263a.svg263a.svg263a.svg

Your mileage may vary. 

I'd like to see anyone on this forum or in any of the countries represented here "get over" the kind of difficulties Haiti has faced. They have been overwhelming and nearly unprecedented.

For anyone who is curious, here are a couple of good recent backgrounders on Haiti. Are we allowed to post URLs? Just in case not, I'll try to describe each with a good search-able phrase too.

A 2022 New York Times series "The Ransom" / "The Root of Haiti's Misery: Reparations to Enslavers"

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/20/worl … rance.html

This one sounds technical but it's very readable: "Stabilizing Haiti: A Guide for Policymakers" from the Texas National Security Review (covers more recent issues, not just the French reparations)

https://tnsr.org/2024/03/stabilizing-ha … icymakers/

The histories of Haiti and the Dominican Republic started diverging a long time ago, are very different, and can't be easily compared. I can't think of any reason to describe Haiti as socialist, Marxist, or communist.

Re: the idea that only Haitians can save themselves, well that's true of all of us in the end. Here's a video with a Haitian musician, Beethova Obas (singing "Bon Bagay"), expressing the same idea (tough lyrics / mellow music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZmfIEvkvy4

When the news outlets alert the general public of a hurricane's trajectory forecast in the horizon. wisdom calls for preparation. Why is this? It is rooted in the DNA of all living things called natural instinct - preservation of life and the necessary precautions to stay clear of trouble.

No need to engage in foolish dialogue. If anyone falls prey to it, they'll burn as a child playing with fire.

Wisdom cannot be overtaken by provocation. Only those whom lack understanding proudly pronounce their degree of ignorance. Like a hurricane passing through with it's destructive force - just get out the way and it will eventually vanish and you remain unscathed - wisdom always prevails for those whom apply it!

Let's not make this personal please.

If a member addresses one, is it personal?

I just will not engage in fruitless exchanges. It's my view these only lead to strife which are unproductive and offer no value to the members of this forum. I will borrow the phrase "no bueno" to sum it up as these provocative comments have no place in our community of supporting, helpful  and friendly members.

@ wondering9

Your post is very helpful, insightful and appreciated as it provides refreshing perspectives on the Haitian dilemma.  Well done.

Thank you for sharing.

It started exactly in 3 weeks after opening of this chat. As expected.

There is a category of people: they have very strong opinion on something, which they readily dump on everybody with high degree of confidence. Their theory is incomplete because when they developed it they avoided dark corners, so they don't have some answers. And when you ask them direct questions that break their elegant internal theory, they just avoid answering by diverting conversation to different direction. There is no way to change their mind by using logic. They don't respect logic and easily bend it.

So I've just decided not to engage this person in logical conversations. Useless.

This is just going out to everyone in general - to nobody in particular:

Let's just change the subject entirely please and move on. :-)  This has always been a GREAT forum where people share info, opinions, etc., and my hope is that it stays that way. So, on another, much more important subject entirely, I've been thinking about everyone affected by the flooding and I hope that everyone is safe in the Sosua area, the Cibao, and in Samana. Some of the videos I've been seeing are terrible. I hate to see the destruction, especially considering this wasn't a hurricane, or anything of the sort. Mother nature can be brutal and my heart goes out to everyone affected. Denise and Dave, I hope you're ok up in Las Terrenas, and the same to everyone else in the areas where water has entered homes and businesses. Please stay safe!

Denise and Dave are okay.

You are right some of these videos are heartbreaking.  There is little assistance here for them.

What I don't quite understand is why people continue to live in places that flood over and over again? I know a few of them and I seriously don't understand.

On the other hand a video I just watched it looks like the water was 4 feet high inside the house.  The owner has lived there 17 years and has never seen this. They lost everything!