"Anything Goes" thread

In short...do not rely on the tap water in the DR for consumption. Most folks here drink bottled water. You can get 5 gallon water bottles from colmados fairly cheap. There is a large water treatment plant in Las Terrenas. We can see it from our house. They do exist. The problem as I understand it is the delivery system is not reliable. Broken pipes, infiltration of dirt and bacteria into the piped water is an issue. So, by the time it gets to your home....no bueno.

We personally harvest rainwater and store it in a large underground cistern. In case of rain shortages we pipe water from the city system into our cistern. Our water is then pumped through a three stage filter. We can drink it from the tap; however, it is an expense some will not want or be able to incur.

As for how locals do water, I see the cisterns on some of the roofs here and I believe they are used to store city provided water. This allows for stored water in case of power outages. Also, city water is not pumped 24/7. There are cases (e.g. drought) whereby water is not provided at all, sometimes for weeks! The roof cistern also provides gravity water pressure.  I suspect they drink from bottled water and use the cistern for other needs.

This is my perspective from living in LT.

Ok water is provided I. My cities and towns and yes you pay for it. It costs almost nothing. You cannot drink it or use it for things like coffee. 

Drinking water is bought by the large blue bottle, 5 gallons I think for a dollar to a dollar fifty depending where you buy it.

Water is not treated here as it is treated in north America. Don't drink it.

Some people have wells but many of them are still not safe to drink.

Some neighborhoods get way more water than other neighborhoods!  Some can go weeks without receiving water from the street.  I get water three times a week. I have a large cisterna as well as a tinaco so I don't run out of water.

@Nanosaso
Many dominican TV news stations also stream live on youtube. Also there are many daily shows by independent journalists and youtubers commenting on the news. Some are surprisingly professional. Enough to keep you updated and to know about the dominican opinions on the news .

-@Papito NL

Thank you. I will definetely stream as this is how one may get a different perspectives as news oulets may be contaminated with censorship on one level or another as unprofessional bias by the news station owners.

@RockyM

Thank you for this valuable info. I know some value the importance of filtering water more than others and will go the exrra step and so I appreciate your input.

Do you have any idea if ADUANAS will tax ones water filtration system shipped over together with one's household goods via shipping container?

@planner

Wow! So glad I asked because this info is so good to know.

When you moved into your home, was it already equipped with the cistern and tinaco?

Just wondering what additional expenses will be required to get set-up so as to avoid running out of water.

Thus far it seems one needs at least two maybe three sources of water as a back-up plan.

Adaptability, like mentioned earlier is a must.

Usually if renting the place will have a cisterna and or tinaco.  And on both these cases, size matters. 1f609.svg1f609.svg1f609.svg

You always need to know the number of a local water delivery truck!

Ok. Thanks. Now at least I have a general idea of what to is required as it relates to water.

Is having air conditioning a must to get a good night's sleep, or are the trade winds good enough to keep one cool.

Do ceiling fans provide any noticeable benefit in keeping the house cool and well ventilated.

If you find an a/c is needed to stay cool, does one need a generator as a source of power.

I saw many homes that had inverters as back-up power for when the power goes out. Is this how it's done or is there an alternate method.

So much needed to grasp as far as adapting is concerned.

@Nanosaso

@RockyM

Thanks for your answers.

For me, I don't like to be locked in a gated compound and not be able to safely drive and explore a country. I drive a lot. I learnt from lots of blogs and videos and even this site: in DR it's a very high risk to get into an accident (occasionally even staged by locals), and 100% to be guilty in it because you're gringo, and lawyers and police won't help you - you need to pay cash. May end up in jail if bodily harm/death involved, regardless guilty or not. Thy call it "hustle" :) They need money.

I also want to fly my paramotor around, which involves risk of landing somewhere in a rural area. Heard from many sources: avoid being in a rural area alone. For safety.

I haven't read/saw things like this about Panama and Costa Rica. It's of course, possible to adapt but it limits freedom a lot.

Two weeks ago I was with my family in a resort in Bayahibe area. We went by foot to Cotubanama park to explore a cave del Puente (very cool, by the way). So, we went by the beach, entered the park by the trail, and the guy in uniform whistled at us. We stopped, he started explaining in Spanish that we need to buy tickets. Zero English. My Spanish is limited, I'm only learning for 3 months, but I understood. I gave him $20US, he returned some change in pesos. Don't remember, I think it was around 500 pesos. I asked for boletos, he said we don't need them. So we proceeded. In 3 minutes later he runs to as again. Said, I gave him a bill with a ripped of corner, he won't be able to exchange it in a bank, so he wants another one. I remember for sure it didn't have a ripped of corner. I said, I don't have any other money. He was pretty upset. Then demanded his change back, returned me a bill without a corner and said we can go without paying.

All my trip I was trying to figure out how he wanted to scam me. Initially I thought the 20 he returned was counterfeit, but no, it seemed to have all the security features. Maybe he really worried that a bank won't accept his defective 20 and wanted to get a good one instead. But we payed with this bill at the airport and they took it without problem. By the way, $18 US for 2 bottles of Presidente is outrageous. I haven't seen prices like this before.   

"Are we witnessing the decline of civilization as we know it in our life time? " For sure! We get divided more and more. Thanks to the social media and platforms where we can exchange opinoins. I predict: in 3 weeks there will be insultes and divisions in this topic. People who previously could get together on a beach and thought there were friends, all of a sudden will avoid talking to each other because they will suddenly discover, they are on completely different sides of political spectrum and general life views.

I can guarantee there will be no insults on this forum. I am the moderator and I will enforce the rules. 1f609.svg

@ Herman.Ka

Everything is relative to the observer. Perspective is principle. How we choose to view things becomes what we are. When we stop and look at how we see the world and then look inwards and ask how do I contribute to the world around me.

Ask ourselves, am I one who complains and honestly answer ourselves, yes I do complain when faced with challenging circumstances.  Or are we the kind who try to make the best out of challenging encounters we may face?? If the answer is yes, we find life is like a school with many lessons we may benefit from as these lesson in life enrich our journey and brings us much satisfaction and gratitude for the lessons learned.

Is the glass half full or half empty??? How we perceive the world is key. Is the world set up to make one struggle through life or is the world what me make it as one adjusts one way or another to what ever circumstance or situation one may face. If and the key word is "if" we adjust accordingly, wisdom will follow and show us the light in all situations or circumstance we may encounter.

As Planner stated, we were informed of the rules when she created this thread from the beginning. She has done wonderfully in enforcing the rules and reminding those that breaking the rules will not be tolerated. 

So from all of us on this thread who try our best to be civil and respectful of all POV - (point of views) agree with them or not. This thread is for the good of all. We can learn and can contribute from our own personal experiences for those who inquire one thing or another as it relates to the DR.

Planner had repeadely reminded members whenever they venture into topics that are not related to the DR that we will not go there. So please keep this in mind when posting in this thread. If any member is not sure of the rules, please re-visit page 1 of this thread and read the first post where Planner outlines the rules which are very simple to follow.

Just keep things positive and focused on the DR for the good of all.

@Nanosaso

I don't understand why you're telling me all this.

And why you are trying to teach me about half full/empty glasses? This fairy-tale maybe good for some people to teach them about pessimism vs optimism, but it misses a category of people to which, I believe, I relate more: realists. I have 25 years career of software testing and manage a team of testers. I write test plans, process results and report dry numbers. I believe in statistics and facts, and not in a nonsense of how to view a glass with water.

If you have a certain chance to die/get injured in a car accident, you can try to view it as a half-full glass or through rosy glasses, but it won't improve your chances. Maybe you think you live happier than a person who has a habit of analyzing risks and trying to mitigate them (you can call him "a prepper"). But believe me, no. That person also finds satisfaction in analyzing and preparation itself, and happiness when something happens but doesn't affect him because he was prepared.

Good luck! 

To sum up its about balance!   

@ Herman.Ka

You had previously asked why if Panama and Costa Rica were considered. I answered. You acknonledged and gave your thanks. It is appreciated.

Then you posted negative experiences you encountered. in the DR. I'm sorry you had to go through this.

Four questions:

Why did you choose the DR over Panama and Costa Rica?

Why did you want to share your negative experiences?

What responses were you expecting to receive?

Why not consider moving from the DR to Panama or Costa Rica if you complain or if your not fulfilled or satisfied while living in the DR?

As one reads your negative input, one may imply you are trying scare tactics for those wanting to visit or may be considering moving to the DR.

Please enlighten us as to your purpose.

Once more, I'm sorry you had to experience those negative moments you described. If I may provide helpful advise I've learned by reading somewhere in this Forum.

Give a local a tip and stay clear of them while they ask the merchant how much an item costs you want to buy then let them go back and pay for it so that your not cheated and avoid falling prey to future scammers who will absolutely try their best to exploit you.

This is the advise I read someone provided, not my own, and if it works, why not try?

Wishing you the best. We are here to help and support all our fellow members.

So both positive and negative experiences are welcome. People need to understand that even "paradise" has issues. What is no big deal to one person is a deal breaker to another.

Of course constant negativity with nothing positive is an issue, more for the person than for the forums!

Here is how I shop for big ticket items: I go look, get pricing, take pictures etc. Then I send in someone I trust to go negotiate pricing and terms. Then I walk in and pay.

For smaller normal daily shopping, I know my prices and where to shop.

@ Planner

Than you for this good and very helpful shopping tip. 

@ Planner

And for the rest of your comment - well said . agree 100 percent.

Once more, I ask can anyone tell me if an a/c is needed to stay cool for a good night's sleep?

Or will a blowing rotating fan or ceiling fan do the trick. I'm asking because everytime I visited on vacation the hotels provided a/c and so i don't know what it will be like as I have no experience without an a/c.

Are mosquito nets for one's bed also needed as I noticed some places or many not sure, use these nets. I also heard that having a fan blowing in ones direction helps with blowing mosquitos away. 

From  end of May until  end of October, sometimes into November its  very uncomfortable without Air conditioning.  I detest sleeping in the humidity. A fan will move the air but it doesn't take out the humidity!

I actually use my bedroom air 12 months of the year.

Mosquitos  - fans help but the $&^%#%^$  will get you anyway.  I use screens on windows and doors I keep open.  My bedroom stays closed to keep them out.

As far as I am concerned, I never use a/c even in the hottest summer nights. It makes me sick.

On other end, mosquito nets are essential for me whatever the season. A single mosquito can ruin your night.

I recall on a visit to Panama, the local municipalities providing mosquito control repellent trucks that drove by neighborhoods spraying the repellent mist along the streets twice a day during dusk and dawn twice a week in mosquito problem areas.

As I mentioned on a previous post, Panama has superior infrastructure and was wondering if this service is available in the DR's areas where mosquitos are a problem or maybe it is provided through H.O.A''s services included in their fees in that of gated communities. I personally don't know and so that is why I'm asking.

I personally don't know if I'll be looking into gated communities, though the 24/7 security features and  back up generators sound nice to have but maybe not enough when the country has so much to offer.

Any thoughts? Please share.

Thank you

The odd thing is the DR locals do not like screens. We fought with our builder to include screens on all of our sliding doors. We feel they are absolutely necessary to keep the bugs and critters out. Welcome to DR  1f601.svg

Our bedroom is our sanctuary room. The door is always closed and we can run the AC in there when it gets really hot in Summer. Ceiling fans are necessary in nearly every room. The key to living here is air flow. Your storage cabinets and such should not be enclosed. The doors should be ventilated or things start mildewing.

@planner

Yep,  exactly how I shop and sometimes guess what ? They will try yo tell me that price quote was for that day or they no longer have  the item....lol

Absolutely  agree with RockyM.  Air flow is critical. I have ceiling fans that run 24/7 in bedroom, living room and office. By the way  running ceiling fans make your A/C makes if feel cooler as the air is moving, allowing you to set the temp higher.

My kitchen has enclosed cabinets and they all smell musty. I have to leave doors and  drawers open sometimes.

@ Planner

Thank you as your Input is much appreciated.

@ RockyM

Thank you. All the details matter and so I really appreciate it. I hope to rent out a place get familiar through getting around and getting a feel of the atmosphere, the neighborhoods, towns etc...

Eventually when i find a place that appeals to me, I start looking to buy land and have a home built to my liking. Nothing fancy, just comfortable enough to include well thought out construction,- foundation, plumbing and electrical standards I have become familiar with throughout the years.

Do you know if these standards may be employed in building one's home there?

After all, they are all based on safety. Any below standards materials or practices may be hazardous and dangerous and we want to make sure our investment is sound and safe for us to live in.

As far as I am concerned, I never use a/c even in the hottest summer nights. It makes me sick.
On other end, mosquito nets are essential for me whatever the season. A single mosquito can ruin your night.

-@Guineo Verde

Thank you for your imput.

What do you do to stay cool in your home?

Any particular brand of mosquito net you prefer or recommend as I will be renting at first and don't know if the windows will have built-in screens to prevent bugs getting in.

If you  need screens,  who you use to build them will depend on where you are.  I have a great supplier here in Puerto Plata and another in Santo Domingo.  It also depends on the type of windows you have.

@ Herman Ka

I want to thank you for your valuable input in this thread as you have contributed helpful advise as well.

In one of your previous post on this thread you described a beautiful scene where you walked on a trail to a park. I'm grateful you mentioned it.

I will also add, If I in anyway made you uncomfortable with any comment I posted, I take full responsibility and offer my sincere apologies.

Planner stated both positive and negative comments are welcome and you complied nicely.

Once more, my apologies. I hope for future cordial exchanges as we have been doing.

Thank you.

@planner

Ok, good to know.. I'll ask when I get all the info. Thanks.

I think that the need for air conditioning depends on your location and your personal comfort. When we built our home in the mountain area of Rio San Juan we had wiring and plumbing provisioned for a/c and ceiling fans in all rooms including outdoor spaces for ceiling fans. We have screens on all windows and for the most part the breeze is enough during the day that all is open. Ceiling fans are used mostly in home office and bedrooms if needed. After a year of living in our house we installed 5 inverter mini split a/c units for the occasional hot day and my wife likes to feel like she's in the norh pole at night. Personally I would be fine with just ceiling fan. I guess different comfort levels. With that said a/c for me a must " happy wife happy life "

@Nanosaso

I resist very high temperatures. But if it is too much, a fan set on 'slow' gently pushes, from a distance, a light breeze through the mosquito net which avoids, again, to get sick.

The brand I use is : 'Dormilones de Cub'. 3 plazas => 66"x56"x81''. M. Gonzalez & Co., Sas. For sale in most places. Sales dept : Tel 809-687-7631 for inquiries.

They a fit for king Size beds.

Our AC units have a dehumidify function. This uses less electricity and is surprisingly effective at keeping the air cool, since it is removing the moisture. Make sure whatever AC unit you get has this function.

@Nanosaso

No problem at all. Thanks!

BTW, I don't live in DR. Just researching and considering.

@Alfonso Ayala

Wonderful input. Plus very nice finishing touch..."happy wife  = happy life"... 1f600.svg Thanks!

@Guineo Verde

@Alonso Ayala

@RockyM

@Planner

@Hurman Ka

@Fred

If I didn't mention any member whom previously contributed in this thread to any of my questions or concerns, please count yourself in as this message is for you also.

Love this site, this forum and this thread!!! The members all contributing making it such a great asset to have when planning anything related to the DR.

Being surrounded by members so supportive is priceless! Thank you so much for your valued input and for answering my questions and concerns and also for sharing your individual personal experiences where we can all learn and benefit from.

Now that we're in the a/c topic, what can one expect in an electric bill?

Just wondering as everyone knows the DR's electrical power has been an issue during all it's history, though some improvements here and there.

Will running the ceiling fans all day and one bedroom running a/c only during the night- what will an electric bill cost, roughly?

How often is one billed, monthly, quarterly etc..??

I deeply appreciate all your help and support.

Thanks!

@Nanosaso
I resist very high temperatures. But if it is too much, a fan set on 'slow' gently pushes, from a distance, a light breeze through the mosquito net which avoids, again, to get sick.

The brand I use is : 'Dormilones de Cub'. 3 plazas => 66"x56"x81''. M. Gonzalez & Co., Sas. For sale in most places. Sales dept : Tel 809-687-7631 for inquiries.

They a fit for king Size beds.

-@Guineo Verde

Muchisimas gracias. I really appreciate it.

It's billed monthly and if not paid they will cut you off!

I have a good sized house. 3 fans always, water pump, small pool, one 18btu air running every night but not really cold, my bill runs about 3,800 Rd monthly.  When it's hotter outside the bills go up!  So I expect to pay about 5,000 Rd in the hotter months.  I am on Edenorte so it's billed based on an increasing cost for higher usage.

All the EDE's charge the same.  The private companies charge much higher.

@ Planner

Once settled in, set up will be very similar to yours and so the electric bill amount will likely fall somewhere in that same ball park figure, unless of course prices go up which always will.

Thank you as this is good to know and use the info to make a monthly list of expenses.

Do you know how much one may expect to pay monthly for groceries?

Oh, another question just popped in, being unfamiliar with how the electric company calculates one's monthly bill, do the bills reflect the dates and the readings at the beginning and the end of the billing cycle?

That is how it's done here to protect consumers from being scammed from the electric companies. Also asking because this is how one may keep track of how much one is truly consuming.

Are the electric meter counters attached to the house or somewhere in the vicinity or are they located somewhere else not accessible to the customers?

Reason asking is to keep them honest. If one shuts off the main breaker on the power panel in the house, the meter should reflect no movement. If the meter shows movement, then there is a problem and this means one is being charged for electricity one is not consuming which needs investigating.

I recall on a past visit as was riding along in a taxi, while we were at a traffic light, saw regular civilians - no uniforms or hard hats or company truck or van in site. A man was up on a power pole messing around with the power cable lines. It was so obvious for all to see the man had no business being up there. I was so in shock to witness this and immediately asked the cab driver and he said "yeah, thieves do that here to help themselves to free electricity, crazy huh".

Couldn't believe my eyes on how brazen the man could be to do that it in plain view in the middle of day on such a busy street with all types of businesses and traffic below.

And no authority figure to stop him and detain him.

And so that is why one should check to see one is not paying for somebody else's electric bill.

Cheaters and scammers will always try to get one over if is opportunity exist and we need to be aware and mindful.

Thanks.