Conceal carry

Greetings to all,

As a retired Army veteran and a law abiding citizen that believe in our 2nd amendment, i want to protect my family no matter what country i live in. I am curious to know if anyone here has gone or is going though the process of getting a conceal carry permit in Santo Domingo?. I have read other blogs and people are saying it could take up to a year and around $1k.

True, many hoops, piles of forms, many dollars & a very long time.  It used to be a bottle or two of JW to the local General. Not anymore.  Plus you cannot bring in your own weapon. You must buy one here & pay 3 or 4 times its' value, same with ammo I carried in the USVI, no problem. Good luck with it.  You may have to become a legal resident also.  Others will know.  Welcome to the forum, lots of info here.

I believe you actually need your permanent residency not the temporary one so at least a two year wait after you get your residency status.  Then all the hoops and $$$$ for at least another year.  Not an easy process here.

Bob K

It is hard to get and you must have residency to get a.permit. And now I believe you must but the weapon here. So after residency - maybe 6 to 9 months you are looking at another year.

I respect your reasons etc but understand the 2nd amendment carries zero weight here.

While waiting an,option is to hire security who,are licensed to carry.

A Glock in USA costs about 500.00 a glock in DR starts at 5000.00. The Natinal Police take it and fire the weapon to have a history of the unique marks of the bullet. If someone knows you have an automatic weapon you at risk for being a crime victim. Better to get a revolver. If you have to use it, there a good chance you will be arrested. They make less fuss about a shotgun for your home but don't be surprised if the perps family sues you. Its best to hire a watchmen from a company because if you hire a private watchmam you will be responsible if he discharges weapon into someone. Thier is a group of gun stores in the capital by municipal building so you can see for your self. If you decide on a shotgun which is common , make sure you have video cameras to document any event. Stay safe in whatever personal descion you make just only buy from a store , DR is filled with dirty guns.

Locals tell me they hack up intruders with machetes.

There is no Second Amendment in the DR.

And I guarantee you that as a foreigner -- if you shoot someone here you will be the one going to prison or you will be dealt with by your victim's relatives and friends before the cops drag you away.

And while anyone's luck can run out one is arguably better off taking as much care to avoid dangerous situations as possible and taking one's chances than resorting to an exchange of gunfire. Becoming known as someone who has a gun (and that wouldn't take long) could bring a lot of unwanted attention from the wrong crowd.

I have lived in many countries, traveled the world, and the US extensively. Those experiences included many less than peaceful or safe regions and neighborhoods.
There have only been two times where I could have perhaps used a firearm. Somehow I was able to deal with it. I was lucky. But in retrospect, I'm happy I didn't have a gun as I might have used it and if I had who knows how that would've turned out.

As it stands, no one was maimed or killed, and I don't have that in my past, or on my conscience.

Do we see the world as it is or as we are?

Well said.

I have only ever used or carried my weapons during combat tours in the Air Force, or hunting deer, elk, ducks, rabbits, or wild boar in North Dakota or Alabama. I was raised in the ghetto of New York city, and Newark, NJ. I've also lived in South Central LA. The only people I knew in those areas, who needed to carry a gun were the criminals, business owners,  and the police. I was neither, so i never felt compelled to carry my gun. I feel the same in Santo Domingo. When I feel like walking late at night I carry very little money on my person. But if someone decided to rob me, I would simply give them the money that I have. But where I walk there are usually police patrolling.
Since you are prior military you can contact the Dominican military regarding a permit to  bring your personal weapons into the country. Don't attempt to bring in a weapon without the permit. It takes about a month to have the permit issued if approved.
I will say this in closing. I left the United States to get away from the "everyone is out to do me harm" mindset, that has permeated the culture. How about looking at the Dominican Republic with a fresh mindset.

Julian to get a military permit first he needs residencia and a carry permit

That's true. My information is not completely correct for BigTuna. I'm a citizen by birth. I got the permit to bring my guns into the country. I don't carry though.

Its different for a citizen!

"I will say this in closing. I left the United States to get away from the "everyone is out to do me harm" mindset, that has permeated the culture. How about looking at the Dominican Republic with a fresh mindset."

Well said, Julian and a great sentiment.

As a footnote to my earlier comment, it should probably be noted that my father was a US Marine for 30 years so I grew up with guns, ordnance, knives and other military gadgetries. I owned and shot .177 cal. pellet rifles and pistols as well as .22's as a kid. After passing an NRA firearms safety course, I graduated to thirty aught six rifles and .45 cal pistols as a teenager firing them out in the hills of my uncle's ranch.

So I understand firearms and am trained in their use. 

I just choose not to use them.

I watched an informative video the other day about guns in the DR. Some people were pro, most con, all agreed that as a non Dominican, you are screwed if you get caught with one.

The video suggested you keep items in your car, or bag, that can be reasonably explained should you have them, but that also work for personal protection.

The 3 main suggestions were a) a heavy, bright, flashlight,  b) a screwdriver, and c) wasp spray. Makes sense to me.

We also had pins put in our windows. We are not afraid, or think bad things will happen. But, it never hurts to be proactive and aware of your surroundings.

Another reason to love you Christie, besides your hat!  Proactive is the mantra for everyone to use. I've carried for many years in St.Croix & in Florida.  Without proper training & practice carrying a weapon is useless. Your simple items are a great defense if instantly to hand. Practice taking them out & in your hand. You are a smart woman & conversant with life's reality. Looking forward to meeting up again for drinks. Say hello to Hubby for me. He is a cool dude also. be safe.

A Glock in the USA costs $500 and the same costs $5000.... DOLLARS!!!!???  THAT IS BEYOND INSANE.    Also, the guns I own may not be available in the DR.  So I hope I am not forced to buy something I wouldn't touch in Canada, just because it's not available and I can't bring in my own (that I already own).

You will be limited to what is available here honey. I have no idea what that might be.

Just found this slightly older thread on firearms and CC in DR.

Earlier in the thread, idea of hiring personal security was recommended. 

Can anyone advise re: security companies that are well known and trusted?   

Any ideas of the costs of such protections?

I have been doing the CC thing for over a decade, all within the US.  I'm only 62, but with significant back and other problems that make fleeing a threat impossible, and fighting off a threat very unlikely.

I'm also aware that criminals look for the easy marks, and many of us senior citizens can be such.  If nothing else, our silvery hair marks us pretty clearly.  And anyone observing me walking, especially on the proverbial bad day, would realize I'm not in top shape and unlikely to fight.

I understand the theory of just giving the crook your money and perhaps other valuables -- but I grew up in some tough neighborhoods, and the truth is, at times the crook simply doesn't want to leave witnesses alive, regardless of how cooperative you might be. 

So...back to private security options.  Can anyone provide some places to start looking? 

And...are they trustworthy?  (It is not unknown for security personnel ANYWHERE to tip off crooks about lucrative targets, and arrange for entry/intercept.)

If/when I can get a DR weapons / carry permit, I am sufficiently trained and skilled to defend my wife and family.  It's that gap between residency and getting the permit that is worrisome. 

Many thanks

Jim
ExpatRusher

Oh, one more:  it was mentioned that retired US military could get a permit from the DR military to bring in some weapons. 

If anyone has done that, could you advise where/ in what office/org that process starts?? 

If privacy is a concern, please PM the info.

Again, thanks.

Jim
ExpatRusher

Expatrusher, I know what you mean.  A lot of "security" are more of a problem than a solution.  There are many stories, no matter the country, of the security casing the place for his buddies (personal story I heard from a security guard from Trinidad).  And while I am moving to the DR, from Canada, I am NOT rich.  And I can not be wasting money on questionable security.  Also, I have only been shooting a few years, but in the last year, I am averaging over 2000 rounds per month with rifles and hand guns.  My guess is, that I am far more effective with my Glock 34 with tritium-fibre optic sights that some guy from a local security agency, with whatever they give him.  Even if I do not CC, and get robbed, chances are it would be for a smaller amount of money and not very often.  If it is a car jacking or home invasion, ....well those usually don't end as well.  So my main desire is to have one in the house and maybe in the car if there is a possiblilty travel plans don't work out.  Mostly I would never want to CC in that heat.  Much rather CC a camera in the day and limit my night outings.  In the meanwhile, if I must buy the same model in the DR, as I already own here, I will be removing those nice sights and mounting them on the DR-purchased Glock.  And I just bought a $325 cdn Zev barrel for the 34 as well.  Hopefully, the optics can be brought in.  Just more grief if I have to sell the optics, only to replace them with the same at higher prices.

Bigtuna0128 wrote:

As a retired Army veteran and a law abiding citizen that believe in our 2nd amendment,

One of the best ways to fail as an expat is to try to change your new country into your old one.

I appreciate your in-depth consideration.  I'm of the same mind. 

Here's another angle:  Tinker and others often remind us to stay low-profile.  To sum up:
• Wear little to no jewelry.
• Dress like the locals in your neighborhood--or less.  Certainly, don't dress in expensive clothes.
• Rent a modest home. 
• Do not fill that home with expensive electronics, art, furniture or whatever.  Stay simple.
• If you own a car, best off with a beater.  Fly well below the radar.  Keep it mechanically reliable, but let the exterior look like a wreck. 
• Never, ever carry a lot of cash...and most certainly never flash that money in public.

That is sound advice. .but I fear that it would only work for those fairly fluent Spanish.  Those with more limited Spanish skills are going to stand out no matter what else we do.  As more than one expat has advised, in the DR, EVERY gringo is considered "rich" and thus is targeted.  Unless, that is, language skills are sufficient to blend in. 

Now, I've led this thread far astray from the OP, so I'll step back a bit. 

Given recent press reporting about tourist deaths in the DR, I'm sure security and self-defense will remain topics of interest.

Jim
ExpatRusher

Why would anyone want to move to such a dangerous place?

You guys are making this all way way too difficult!

Listen to the advice,.live a simple life,  be very very careful who you associate with, who you surround yourself with and who you let into your house. 

Jeez 16 years here living and working as a single woman and no need of a bodyguard or security.  Use your head and stop building all this into more than it is and more than it needs to be.

Agree with Planner and Fred.  The 2nd amendment has no place outside the USA, and in the DR, you must follow DR laws and rules, as confusing and asinine as they sometimes are.  Modify yourself to your surroundings, not your surroundings to you.  It makes more sense to blend in, rather than change everybody else so you no longer stick out.  The whole point of moving to a new country is to change almost everything, try all new things, heck, even become a new, better, happier, and more relaxed person.  Don't bring all your preconceptions and anxieties with you, that baggage will be more expensive than a container of your belongings.

Slow down, sit back, enjoy life.  It's a totally different view from here.

I also agree with Planner and UncleBuck. As a Canadian and I think I can speak for most Canadians, I have never had a desire or a need to own a gun. There is not many countries I have not been to and only in the USA is this need an itch that constantly need scratching. I work with 3 South Africans and if you have any idea of what is going on in that country, they could justify the need to own a gun, but guess what, they don't.

If you want trouble in DR, own a gun and go to places where drugs are available. Delinquency, drugs and guns are very much linked such that legal gun owners are targetted for attacks.

Avoid these two and you will be one of the many who never experience a problem living here in DR.

And for Fred from Indonesia, I will take DR any day as a better place to live compared to Java or Barnsley (been to both but mind you Bali might make me think again).

We keep telling you, and you ignore the good advice.....forget the friggin guns.

Hhhhmmmm.  Thanks for the advice.  Much to think about.

All of those things about not showing any sign of money, I already do by habbit.  I have 2 VERY old and worn sweat shirts and I wear the same 2 every time.  Just because I hate shopping.  And I am by nature more paranoid than others.  Also I have travelled a bit, so I have noticed how another cultures may view me based on a limited understanding of my background.  I used to cycle around in Cuba in a small town by myself, but I didn't hang around any one spot too long.

But no matter the precautions (those you have mentioned, will help a person avoid around 80-95% of the chances of being robbed, depending on the neighborhood), if you live in an neighborhood for a while, there is always 1 person with very little human decency.  And THAT is the person, for whom you need to be prepared.  Anyone who prepared to home invade or car jack with a weapon is a very serious danger no matter how the victim responds.  Most of them are not brave or stupid.  If they suddenly find out, that you are far from defenceless, they will likely run and maybe even give up the idea of robbing others.

My habbits, mean I will rarely be travelling at night.  Generally with my tiny wife (I am not big either) or other members of her family.  So I do not plan to CC in DR unless, I begin to see a reason.  However I MOST DEFINITELY want a rifle for the home and a hand gun for the car.  Also, I am not rich enough to live in the finest neighborhoods, although I will gravitate to those as funds allow.  Who wants to sleep every night, knowing they are depending almost entirely on luck or hiding to avoid trouble?

That is easily among most useful comments I have seen.  16 years, single woman, no problems.
Real facts are useable.  Opinions are not (unless solidly based on facts and logic).

Also, I see that you live in Santo Domingo.  What parts of SD/DR have you lived in during your time in DR?

Clearly, as in any country, the neighborhood can be the most important choice a person will make, when relocating.  So I will be looking into the threads about $electing a neighborhood.  :)  Thanks.

No problem if you wish to discount the opinions of residents living here. Everyone to their own  priorities. For non Americans it is rarely an issue that crosses our minds.

You will need to budget for your preferred guns to the order of maybe $3,000 per handgun and more for a rifle, plus allow for the annual checks in Santo Domingo. Owning a gun is not cheap and comes with risks that you will be known to own something expensive and in demand by delinquents.

You will also have to wait until you get permanent residency to start the process which could be more than one or 5 years depending on your residency route.

Second post reply to follow.

Having sent Lauren Southern somewhere around $350 to help out in her documentary "Farmlands", I have some idea what SA is like.

You worked with 3 South Africans.
Did they tell you about the strict gun laws and costs involved in getting a LEGAL fire arms?
Are these WHITE South Africans, and do you work with them IN South Africa in an UNSECURED AREA?
I think not.

While it is true that ripe oranges and rotten apples are both fruit,
I don't see the comparison between the DR and SA.

Super info.  Thanks.  My plan is to get at least a hand gun and maybe a rifle depending on the cost.  And then the sun will never shine on them unless, I happen to live close to a shooting range.  Which is unlikely.  Here I live 30 minutes from a great range and I shoot a lot, because I like it and I can afford it.  In the DR, most likely I will have to go to far to shoot and I will not have the income I have now.  So my gun fun will need to be $caled back.  Going to miss it, but there will be so many new things to do and places to see.

'planner' will be able to offer best opinion on living in various parts of DR as a woman over a long period of time.

I currently live in Santo Domingo in a modest barrio just off Av. Independencia in the west of the city and close to some poorer barrios. I come into contact with residents of those barios daily in my routines in the area, shopping, banking etc. I see other expats going about their daily lives too. I am aware that their have been homicides elsewhere in this city of near 3 million and almost invariably they fall into the same few categories: drugs and gang related, domestic problems including jealosy and pre planned crime with determined targets. To date we have not had random gun killings in schools, cinemas, malls or places of work in Santo Domingo. The number of expats being killed in gun crime is rare in Santo Domingo and there have been one or two examples on the North Coast region over the past few years but invariably has involved the expat being mixed in with the wrong company or drugs. Tourist areas are by and large very safe and policed additionally by Cestur.

I have also lived in a small pueblo north of the city in the Villa Altagracia municipality on the way to Bonao. That in my opinion was less safe than Santo Domingo and that would be my opinion of much of the Cibao too. Drugs are a major problem in regions such as the Cibao and also the South Coast towns. In the small peublo where I lived there were known drug pushers and they were armed. They were responsible for the petty crime in general.

I also lived in Las Terrenas for two years and I found that town very safe even late at night

One of the most common homicide occurances throughout DR is the ambushing and killing of police officers and relieving them of their issued firearm during duty and off duty.

Drive by robberies seem to have abated in recent times and the homicide rate has dropped significantly since 2012, but the feeling of insecurity remains amonst Domincans who feel their freedom is being restricted through opportunistic robberies. Again I come back to drug use being the core problem creating a demand for a fix and cash to pay for it. Delinquents come from poorer barrios and outside the city to find victims at night in particular but they are not targetting the areas where  expats are.

I don't feel oppressively insecure in DR, but then again I have lived overseas in a number of locations considered high risk. I have to say St Thomas and St Croix are scary.

Back to my earlier post: guns, drugs and delinquents are bed fellows and to be avoided in DR. And I do hope a political leadership with more backbone and zero bad foreign links, gets elected in 2020

Have you seen my profile photo?  With hair that color, do you think I will "blend in" at some point?

Of course I was younger in the photo, and the hair that is not "MIA" or has not "jumped ship" is turning gray.

Seriously though, I will never blend in.  I will look like a ginger foreigner no matter how much I tan.
And the minute I speak, they will wonder where I got this outrageous accent.

I think you are very well informed and perceptive.  It is news to me about the southern coast.  And in fact that the smaller towns can be more dangerous than SD.  I suppose it is all about knowing your town and neighborhood.  And wether or not to move to that neighborhood in the first place.

I was not overly surprised to hear that the police are attacked to get their guns, but surprised none the less.  It has always been my intention, after obtaining whatever firearems I will obtain, to keep them as secret and invisible as possible.  And never even to bring them out during a robbery unless absolutely necessary.  Once a gun is seen, the robber may be even MORE interested in robbing the house, since he knows he can get a gun (if he hasn't arrived with a gun already).  If the robber runs aways because the lights come on, and the alarms is loud, that is MUCH better than pointing a gun at him to chase him away.  If that doesn't work, claiming to have a gun, might make the difference, after the noise and light don't.  The best option is to never bring out the gun.

As you mentioned, a person must be selective in where they go and who they know.  As far as friends go, I am looking for quality, not quantity.  My plan so far, is to be rent in SD and maybe buy a place there after a year or two.

Dear Lennox and Planner:

Your comments reminded me of an experience when we first visited Santo Domingo July 2018.  That experience makes me wonder how safe the DR actually is, though personally I have limited facts so far.

One afternoon, we visited the Agora Mall.  We entered through, I believe, the Northside entrance.  Several armed, capable-looking armed security officers loitered at several places around the exterior and interior of the entrance.

We shopped and ate at the food court for a couple of hours.  During that period we observed a lot of unarmed roving security personnel, mostly younger men.  We also observed several security openly carrying handguns, holstered.  Polite and friendly, but definitely armed.

Additionally, I spotted two that were definitely carrying concealed, in shoulder holsters covered by blue blazers.  How did know?? The straps showed through the blazers on the shoulders and backs.  That prompted me to look for final confirmation via the telltale bulges under their armpits.  They also kept their right arms tight to the front of their bodies, so as to avoid the blazer flapping open and exposing their holster.

I am absolutely positive those weren't salamis tucked under their armpits!

Just before departing, we stuck our heads out the Southside entrance...and saw another security gent -- but this one was a camo-fatigued, combat-helmeted, knife-carrying, M16 or AR15-shouldering big dude standing guard!!  He was in full "battle rattle" (tactical gear) including tactical vest and various items attached thereto.

Here is the challenge I'm facing -- I read what Lennox and planner convey in your posts about simply not needing firearms for self-defense in the DR -- but the reality of what my eyes saw that day offers a very strong counterpoint.

NO ONE, and certainly no retail establishment, invests that much money into weapons and personnel, including keeping the personnel trained, without there being a genuine need for it.

NO retail establishment, IMO, would place such high-profile security personnel so obviously and constantly, without fear of scaring away customers...unless the customers were aware of and accepted the need for such defensive measures.

So, I am having reconciling the differences between reports from reliable sources -- Lennox, Planner and others -- that DR doesn't have much of a weapons threat, and what I saw with my own eyes that day.  This was the middle of higher-end Santo Domingo!! 

There seems to be a cognitive dissonance here.  I don't have a resolution to it, and must admit I've only a limited data set in the DR.

But, what a set of data it was!!! I've NEVER seen any USA shopping mall with such heavy security, so openly armed, and we've traveled quite a bit around the USA.  Was it a special holiday??  Was there some specific or general threat ongoing?  I don't know -- and with the DR's rep for being less than forthcoming about crime, especially violent crime, to protect the tourism industry, I may never know.

I'm not trying to gainsay anyone else's experience on the DR -- I don't have the knowledge to do that.  Yet.

I'll be keeping a very open eye out during our next trip, next month (July 2019), to observe everything I can on the matter.  I could be wrong about the extent of the threat.  If so, that would be a positive thing.

Fortunately, I don't have to make any decisions about firearms in the DR today...or even for the next year or so.  We have time to learn and evaluate as our process proceeds. 

In the meantime, I'm offering the above info mainly to provide future readers a full set of information to evaluate in their own journeys toward and in the DR. 

Best to everyone,

Jim
ExpatRusher

You have offered words of wisdom.  Thanks.

The governement was faced with calls from all sectors of society a year or so back to take steps to protect citizens from an uptick of delinquency. At several times over the past couple of years they have placed military units alongside police units to both show a unified determination to crack down on delincuency and also to round up known thugs in certain barrios. There was cetainly a show of force in all the Malls during these periods and also at entrances to poorer barrios like the one close to me. There was also a bank heist in one of the Malls in the elite sector of Santo Domingo (Bella Vista) a coupele of years back which resulted in more security in all Malls too.

We also do get additional security in place at other holiday periods during the year.

You get used to seeing the miltary about in DR especially when driving around the country and close to the border.

I have never felt intimidated by the military here but in the USA the police units do come on far to heavy imo and that is frightening. I wonder what ot is like for a new Dominican in the USA?