"Anything Goes" thread

@planner

Yes. I see. That makes sense.

As far as TV in the DR, does anyone know if the gov't switched over from analogue tv signal to digital TV signal broadcast of local TV channels for compatibility with smart TV sets. 

What type of TV antennas does one need to be able to watch local TV channels.

For example, there are indoor digital HD antennas placed near a window and there are those larger outdoor antennas one installs on a high place like on a roof or chimney.

I know one may get Satellite TV service with a Satellite dish and subscription so that's not my question.

What I'm basically asking in regards to TV, is can one install an antenna to get free TV as it was in the old days or is one only option cable or satellite where you have to pay one way or the other?

For all to understand clearly: we can discuss Dominican politics. We will NOT be discussing American politics!  Or British. Or Russian.  Or any other country that doesn't directly affect the DR.  You all got me?

What I'm basically asking in regards to TV, is can one install an antenna to get free TV as it was in the old days or is one only option cable or satellite where you have to pay one way or the other?

-@Nanosaso

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/202 … -republic/

What I'm basically asking in regards to TV, is can one install an antenna to get free TV as it was in the old days or is one only option cable or satellite where you have to pay one way or the other?        -@Nanosaso

Television as we old people know is a dead duck.

The best bet is to get a nice unlimited internet package, a device that suits you, and stream.

The same applies anywhere in the world with fair Internet.

My own preference is Radio - There are loads of free to listen to channels from all over the world.

Being ex-British, I tend to listen to BBC radio on the BBC site. All open and free.

There are plenty of TV steaming sites of varying quality and legality - A lot are free.

US TV is commonly more accessible as the US doesn't have the UKs very foolish, King Cnut style, streaming rules.

@Nanosaso

Yes (with conditions). As I understood from that link that I gave you before, there is an analog TV broadcasting in the DR, they are planning to switch to digital broadcasting for many years and keep postponing it. Once they switch, thousands of old TVs will stop working. This why they are planning to distribute or sell thousands of digital-to-analog converters to the owners of old TVs.

All new TVs, since like 10 or 15 years ago, can work only with digital signal and can't decode analog antenna signal. They need analog-to-digital converter for that.

All old TVs (before that date) can work only with analog signal can't decode digital antenna signal. They need digital-to-analog converter for that.

These converters are not expensive and can be bought on amazon or aliexpress.

Additionally, if you're living outside of a local TV tower coverage, regardless of your TV type, it won't work.

Terrestrial TV is old hat now. It was great tech when it came out, but it has seen its day.

Of course internet TV has issues, especially pay per view or subscription, but you also have to watch out for pirate sites trying to install viruses on your device.

Internet radio has none of those problems.

On the bright side (last time I looked) there were a lot of good streaming sites .. but perhaps legally dodgy so you can't guarantee a picture.

Fred many many people here don't have internet and still can't afford it.  Many have old tvs here too.

Fred many many people here don't have internet and still can't afford it.  Many have old tvs here too.

-@planner

Same here, but terrestrial is a dead duck. It's just too expensive and too limited.

Regardless of country, poor people don't get much of a say.

From an expat POV, not all have massive sacks of cash, but most can afford internet.

I see the OP is from the states. He will have more better quality and legal options than a Brit.

Sadly the poor here are in the majority still.

The OP was discussing the DR not the USA

The OP was discussing the DR not the USA

-@planner

He's from the US. That country doesn't have the crap laws around TV the UK does, so any future search for free internet TV will be easier.

Fred I have clearly set a boundary on this thread. DR related and that includes you. I do not care where the OP is from

Sadly the poor here are in the majority still.

-@planner

Sadly? If the majority had the same lifestyle level as in the USA, there wouldn't be any expats in the DR because prices would be much higher than in the USA.

Only the US can live on borrowed money from the entire world, exloiting the power of its "stable currency and economy".

For this reason you want to keep  hundreds of thousands in poverty?  Seriously?  There is a difference between those living in poverty and enough money to eat properly!

And again leave the US out of this.

@ Herman.Ka

@ Fred

@ Planner

In regards to  my question on the DR's local TV broadcast signals: analogue or digital,

I want to thank you all for your valuable and insightful answers.

I basically want local TV to watch the morning news with cup of coffee.

if the location for local TV reception turns out to be a problem like poor quality due to distance or mountains, etc., what would be the best option between internet streaming subscription through mobile phone service or satellite dish for TV?

So by local tv you mean Dominican news correct? Or do you mean news from elsewhere?

If you intend to stream in any way I will recommend StarLink if you can where you end up.  Less expensive, faster and more reliable.

@ Planner Where did I want to keep thousands in poverty?

But you agree that expats from Canada, UK, USA etc, are going to poor countries because they can use pensions or some other "western level" income most often because they can afford much better live style than in their own countries?

Let's see simple calculations (sorry, we have to bring Canada here, but it's related to DR):

With an average monthly pension in Canada of 558USD you can't live decent retirement life in Canada, where an average income is ~4500USD. Half of your pension will go just to property taxes.

But with this Canadian pension you can live pretty good live in DR, where average monthly income in is 754USD. Especially, if you sell your property in Canada and buy something in DR 5 times cheaper.

So, let's be honest: expats are using difference of average income to their advantage.

You're saying "There is a difference between those living in poverty and enough money to eat properly!"?

Where have you seen a third world country without some (big) portion of population in poverty? Even in Canada and the USA there are lots of people, especially elder, live below poverty line and regularly go to food banks. I don't know, maybe you haven't visited Canada for a long time, but read the news. It's scary to retire here.

In third world country, forget USA and Canada, it's practically impossible to establish any decent system preventing poverty. Corruption, luck of money from under-developed economy, capitalism. If it was different it wouldn't be a third world country and expats wouldn't be able to live there with their Canadian or american pensions.

"With an average monthly pension in Canada of 558USD you can't live decent retirement life in Canada, where an average income is ~4500USD. Half of your pension will go just to property taxes.

But with this Canadian pension you can live pretty good live in DR, where average monthly income in is 754USD. Especially, if you sell your property in Canada and buy something in DR 5 times cheaper."

What?   Expats new to this country cannot live  pretty good on a Canadian pension as you stated! NO they cannot. 

Keeping things inexpensive here so expats can come enjoy their retirement years is not a good enough reason to keep  people in poverty.   I extrapolated from your posts!

"You're saying "There is a difference between those living in poverty and enough money to eat properly!"?

Where have you seen a third world country without some (big) portion of population in poverty? Even in Canada and the USA there are lots of people, especially elder, live below poverty line and regularly go to food banks. I don't know, maybe you haven't visited Canada for a long time, but read the news. It's scary to retire here."

There  is almost no social services or  welfare type support here.  Some Dominican pensions equal less than  US $100 a month.  They cannot eat on that.   Just because other countries have a large portion in poverty does not make it acceptable  honey.  Not ever.

@ planner

Yes. I'm referring to the local TV news in the DR, on the DR's TV channels. I'd like to stay in the loop as far as local news is concerned.

Thank you for the streaming service advise, very appreciated.

For local news I find that online is easier.  Most of the "stations" here are not professional and even after  20 years some are very very hard to understand!  I prefer the online print editions.

The only channel I watch  is CDN  37. They are very professional and you can actually understand what they are saying. 

@Herman.Ka poverty does not occur in ”third world countries” only.  Third world countries do not have a monopoly on poverty.

I've been poor and I did not live in a third world country. 

One of the main reasons we are relocating to DR is to contribute to a country that is trying to better itself for its people.

We listen to the President of DR's weekly address to understand what is happening in the country.  Very informative.

@ Planner

@ Herman.Ka

After the COVID pandemic, many things changed globally. Economies were impacted. The restrictions that were put in place created an exponential growth in the work-from -home segment of the workforce / labor-force.

As a consequence, these families and or individuals were added to the number of retirees whom all have decided to look elsewhere around the world to make their living due to rising cost-of living which was became hard to afford.

The majority have migrated or consider it due to how expensive taxes and insurance have become due to inflation.

The DR is a wonderful destination for many reasons. I hope to call the DR home soon and enjoying the refreshing taste of Piña Coladas all the while soaking up the pleasant seen at the many beautiful beaches!!

@ Planner

Okay. That is very good to know. I had no idea they could remain unprofessional as news outlets in this day and age. Well, it's like mentioned before, "it is what it is what it is".

That is part of the culture that is accepting to so many as they have not experienced anything different.

I understand from several expats that have moved to the DR comment that they feel more at ease, more relaxed as the atmosphere is much more peaceful and tranquil when comparing to where they came from.

That is music to my ears as our health is directly impacted by our environment.

@Nanosaso

Many dominican TV news stations also stream live on youtube. Also there are many daily shows by independent journalists and youtubers commenting on the news. Some are surprisingly professional. Enough to keep you updated and to know about the dominican opinions on the news .

I basically want local TV to watch the morning news with cup of coffee. if the location for local TV reception turns out to be a problem like poor quality due to distance or mountains, etc., what would be the best option between internet streaming subscription through mobile phone service or satellite dish for TV?        -@Nanosaso

I just tried a few local TV stations. They seem to play perfectly well. If you speak Spanish, you'll have lots of choices.

If you don't, it may be back to your home country's stations - I know many of them work.

One universal truth - Soaps are rubbish. I just watched a few minutes of three DR stations. That stuff will make your coffee taste bad

Fred now that made me laugh!  Soaps or Novelas are unbelievable!!!

The DR is a wonderful destination for many reasons. I hope to call the DR home soon and enjoying the refreshing taste of Piña Coladas all the while soaking up the pleasant seen at the many beautiful beaches!!        -@Nanosaso

Could you, please, list the factors that made you to chose DR rather than Panama or Costa Rica?

Is the fact that life in DR is cheaper than in these two is not one of the factor?

I've been poor and I did not live in a third world country. 
One of the main reasons we are relocating to DR is to contribute to a country that is trying to better itself for its people. 

-@ondami

Same question to you: why DR and not Costa Rika or Panama? Cost of living is one of the factors?

These two have some benefits that DR doesn't have (based on my research): somewhat less crime rate, safer roads (DR holds the first place in the world for death rate on the roads), less corruption, somewhat friendlier population.

I've been poor and I did not live in a third world country.  One of the main reasons we are relocating to DR is to contribute to a country that is trying to better itself for its people.      -@ondamiSame question to you: why DR and not Costa Rika or Panama? Cost of living is one of the factors?These two have some benefits that DR doesn't have (based on my research): somewhat less crime rate, safer roads (DR holds the first place in the world for death rate on the roads), less corruption, somewhat friendlier population.         -@Herman.Ka

I think familiarity with the DR is one of the factors. A lot of North Americans vacation in the DR and become intrigued with it as a potential home. In retrospect we would have been smarter having visited other countries and cultures before committing to the DR. But, like I said....familiarity. I guess everyone has their story or personal reasons for choosing one place over another.

But, your question and the research you noted is valid. One has to prioritize. Is feeling safe on the roads important to you? Are you going to be moving around the country a lot? etc, etc.

I basically want local TV to watch the morning news with cup of coffee. if the location for local TV reception turns out to be a problem like poor quality due to distance or mountains, etc., what would be the best option between internet streaming subscription through mobile phone service or satellite dish for TV?        -@Nanosaso

I just tried a few local TV stations. They seem to play perfectly well. If you speak Spanish, you'll have lots of choices.
If you don't, it may be back to your home country's stations - I know many of them work.
One universal truth - Soaps are rubbish. I just watched a few minutes of three DR stations. That stuff will make your coffee taste bad

-@Fred

As for the DR TV stations, I'll have to check and see after arrival. As far as Soaps are concerned, never been a fan though I absolutely appreciate the humor. Thanks mate!!

Also, thank you for all the helpful info provided earlier on my TV questions related to the DR.

The DR is a wonderful destination for many reasons. I hope to call the DR home soon and enjoying the refreshing taste of Piña Coladas all the while soaking up the pleasant seen at the many beautiful beaches!!        -@Nanosaso

Could you, please, list the factors that made you to chose DR rather than Panama or Costa Rica?
Is the fact that life in DR is cheaper than in these two is not one of the factor?

-@Herman.Ka

What a wonderful question. Thank you for asking.  My decision for relocating is primarily driven by the high cost of living.

Costa Rica was never an option as it didn't ring any bells for me though I knew many expats were drawn there for various reasons. 

Panama I did consider as it's gov't has put in many perks to attract expats to make it their home.  Panama has much more to offer as far as infrastructure is concerned.  So I decided to dive deeper in researching as moving to a foreign country is a significant decision to make plus the many crucial things to consider.

I put both on a balance to consider the pros and cons of each and basically the charm and magic experienced first hand while in the DR put it over the top.

Dominicans though many live a humble lifestyle, they are welcoming and their smiles just transmit a warmth so inviting you can't resist but feel good as they really are genuine people and I really appreciate their festive and cheerful spirit which is reflected throughout their culture, music and dance.

Through visiting both countries, my personal experience, the DR far outweighed my experience in Panama.

One other con that played a major deciding factor is I could not bare the incredible heavy humidity experienced while visiting Panama.  I just couldn't  picture living in such a humid climate.

I figured all the negative attributes of the DR can be managed as one adopts as I see many expats have done.

Adaptability is critical!

@planner

Amen to that answer...:)

Adapility and yes lots of breathing and counting to 10....lol

Can anyone please tell me what is the water situation in the DR.

As we know water is a big issue in many places around the world.

As it relates to the DR, is the water treated at plants like chrorination, purification, etc..

I recall on one of my visits asking the locals what and why do they place these large black or blue tanks they call tinaco's placed on high places like roof-tops.

They informed you will see these water storage tanks on roof-tops to draw or pump water from a cistern and they are installed in high place of the home to get the water pressure created through gravity.

At hte time I forgot to ask the following:

Where does the water come from before it enters the cisterns?

Is it from a private well?

Is it provided by the municipality, city, etc.?

Is rain water harvesting a common practice?

If it is provided by the gov't, how much do they charge?

Is there any problems with water shortages?

I know the majority of the DR live in humble conditions, and so I consider these as it relates to the overall water question in the DR.

As for those whom call the DR home, what can you tell me about water for everyday home use like showering, cooking, brushing teeth, flushing. just asking because water is such a precious commodity we need to ensure it is safe for our health.

Does one have to boil water, for example for cooking or brushing teeth?