"Anything Goes" thread

So meters are near or on your property.  Bills reflect start and end consumption of your billing cycle.

I often do exactly that, I shut off all my breakers and go out for two hours. I take a photo when I leave and one when I get back.  It's not usually the electric company charging wrong but someone tapping into your line!

For some here there is a sense of entitlement to receiving free electricity!

@ Planner

Does one have a choice as far as which utility company provides electricity to ones home or property between EDE or private electric company?

In very few areas you have choice.  Where I live I have a choice.

In some areas it's only the private company but that far more rare.

Can one add solar panels to ones home as the world is more and more turning to green energy as an alternative?

I believe, I saw a whole thread in this forum about solar panels. It's expensive though.

I don't understand why people don't use solar water heaters in this area. In Israel every apartment or house has it, roofs are full of water solar panels (not electric ones). Very efficient. Water is usually boiling hot by midday. If a whole day is cloudy, even in a winter, it's still warm enough to take a shower. If you want it hotter, these container have electric heating elements too. Or lots of people install small flow-through heaters over kitchen sinks and showers. solar-water-heaters-on-roof_lbiRv_578411.jpg

@Nanosaso
No problem at all. Thanks!
BTW, I don't live in DR. Just researching and considering.

-@Herman.Ka

Your most welcome. Thank you for clarifying.

Thus far in your research, which of these three countries top your list?

Have you visited the other two?

What attracts you the most from the DR ?

Would you supply your reasons for each?  Though I already made my choice, I'd really like to know yours. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I believe, I saw a whole thread in this forum about solar panels. It's expensive though.
I don't understand why people don't use solar water heaters in this area. In Israel every apartment or house has it, roofs are full of water solar panels (not electric ones).solar-water-heaters-on-roof_lbiRv_578411.jpg-@Herman.Ka

Wow! This is absolutely amazing! Though I don't know how it works, it looks like nature supplies the materials and  superb human ingunuity connects the dots and presto!

Thank you for sharing.

Solar panels -  adding solar for electricity is a whole process. You need permission from the supplier of electricity in your area!  There is a limit on the number they will allow.  Maybe this will change soon!  Let's hope.

@planner

This is if you want to sell them your electricity, right? So you'll get dual or a separate counter and they will pay you for your kilowatts.

But if you want it only for your own consumption?  Like if you want to run your AC and water pump only from solar panels, as a separate circuit.

Or as a back up. In case if there a blackout you completely disconnect your home from the grid and use your own electricity from your batteries which were charged using your panels. They can't possibly dictate you how many panels  you use for your back up system. Can they?

Solar panels -  adding solar for electricity is a whole process. You need permission from the supplier of electricity in your area!  There is a limit on the number they will allow.  Maybe this will change soon!  Let's hope.

-@planner

Do you mean to say the DR gov't or the gov't run electric company has a monopoly on the solar panels sold in the DR?

So, in essence, one can't install solar panels for ones own private use as Herman Ka put it - as back up power? 

What if one resides off the grid in rural areas where public services are not available, can one get solar panels then without the gov't or gov't run electric company interfering or making it very difficult or impossible to do?

This is really good to know. 

@ planner

Corection - everywhere I stated "gov't run electric company" I meant to repeat what you stated - "...ÿou will need permission from the supplier of electricity in your area!."

As far as I know buying panels and using them off-grid is not a problem. Despite the government's 'green' intentions the monopoly of the electric companies is a problem. They make it hard to connect your panels to the grid and they often even seem to charge more (not less!) for the total bill when connected. It looks they want to stay in control and see private generated electricity as competition.

@ Papito NL

Thank you for sharing your insight. Much appreciated. Do you know if solar panels are available for purchase in the DR or does one need to import from outside suppliers? 

https://bluemaxsolar.com/48vdc-solar-ai … dominican/

The link is a bit spammy, but it offers an idea if they can in fact deliver to DR.

AC is the biggest hit on your electricity bill, so this might offer a solution.

I don't understand why people don't use solar water heaters in this area. In Israel every apartment or house has it, roofs are full of water solar panels (not electric ones). Very efficient. Water is usually boiling hot by midday. If a whole day is cloudy, even in a winter, it's still warm enough to take a shower. If you want it hotter, these container have electric heating elements too. Or lots of people install small flow-through heaters over kitchen sinks and showers. solar-water-heaters-on-roof_lbiRv_578411.jpg-@Herman.K

I have one. They work but the equipment is far too expensive to make them interesting for most. The savings simply aren't enough to justify the initial cost.

A gas powered water heater in the shower (assuming bottled gas is easy to get there) is the way to go.

I've used both, and gas wins by a mile.

@Nanosaso

Search for Paneles Solares at Facebook marketplace in the DR and it is full of everything you might need.

@Nanosaso

"Thus far in your research, which of these three countries top your list?"

Don't know yet. Still have time to decide. Cons and pros in all of them.

"Have you visited the other two?"

Not yet. Planning, probably next year, to rent a car for 3 weeks in Panama and travel the country. Which I wouldn't do in DR.

I have one. They work but the equipment is far too expensive to make them interesting for most. The savings simply aren't enough to justify the initial cost.
A gas powered water heater in the shower (assuming bottled gas is easy to get there) is the way to go.
I've used both, and gas wins by a mile.

-@Fred

Strange. Water boiler is the same electrical thing as used in Quebec, Canada in every house. but sealed against weather elements. I can't imagine it more than $700.

The solar panel is just two horizontal tubes and bunch of parallel 1/2 inch vertical tubes. All painted black, in a galvanized steal box with a glass top. Can easily DIY. Shouldn't be more than $300. And heating comes for free. 

Gas water heaters are more expensive and complex, and require either a qualified technician to install or knowing exactly what you're doing, so don't blow up your house.

I was so in shock to witness this and immediately asked the cab driver and he said "yeah, thieves do that here to help themselves to free electricity, crazy huh".

Couldn't believe my eyes on how brazen the man could be to do that it in plain view in the middle of day on such a busy street with all types of businesses and traffic below.

And no authority figure to stop him and detain him.    -@Nanosaso

I'm afraid you may be in A LOT of shock once you move in DR. I don't know your exact plans, but smart people say: don't buy property and just live at least a year in rental to understand is it your up of tea or not. You might not like the area, or the country at all. It's not only about DR. Same thing applies to Costa Rica or Panama.

If you buy a property, most likely you buy it for "gringo price", and you won't be able to sell to a local without huge loss. You can sell it only to another gringo. It can take a year or two or three until you find a buyer. Maybe times changed, and things in the States and Canada are deteriorating quickly and more and more people realize they can't retire at home and looking down South. Maybe it will boost demand, don't know. I didn't find that property prices are growing more than inflation over the years. 

@Fred

Thank you Fred. I'll check it out as a/c may be a necessity and so I agree, solar panels are the way to go once I find a suitable place to build a home.

@Herman.Ka

Thank you Herman. Yes. I agree. Banana Republics just like everywhere else have flaws and so it will take getting use to as one eventually becomes familiar and adjusts to where ever one decides to settle down.

If and when you arrive in Panama, - the capital - you mentioned you'll be driving -  you'll do best to avoid it as you'll grow very frustrated as the traffic is way too congested--- maybe something like neck and neck between the DR's capital, Santo Domingo, both are way too congested for driving. You'll be stuck in traffic for way to long and you'd better have reliable a/c, plus you'll waste plenty of gas while in that horrible bumper to bumper traffic.

Driving away from the cities is much better as you'll find way less traffic and you'll move much faster to your destinations.

Yes. Agreed. finding a rental is best as take one's time to get to know the country and a good feel of how things work.

Learn how the locals do things etc.. I've been to the DR many times over the years so I have just a tiny bit but that is from vacations and going outside the resorts but obviously not the same as living there.

But I definetely like the culture, the people in general and the lush country with it's mountains, peeks and valleys, the ocean views and all those beaches. I'll have to adjust from life in the US to that of the DR .

I'll be joining the many expats from places such as Canada, US, UK, France, Italy, Israel, Germany, Australia,  China, Poland, Russia, Venezuela - Cuba (refugees), and many many more like the big elefant in the room - Haiti of course. due to it's immediate proximity as the only two countries sharing one island. Like Ireland shares a border with Northern Ireland.

If all these expats call the DR home, it must be for good reason and so hopefully I too will jump in and boy am I excited and a little nervous too as I'm so accoustomed to the US or North American culture, laws, and it'll be an adjusting phase once there, but at least I have all the help and support of tips, advise right here in this Forum to help me figure things out.

I appreciate all the help and advise I can get as we all know getting use to a new country is a slow ongoing process.

Thank you for sharing.

I heard driving in the DR is very similar to driving in Italy. They follow through traffic like a river flows in the rapids. drive at your own risk if your not familiar don't try.

No, its worse than that.

@Nanosaso

In the DR everyone makes his own river and they flow wherever they want. Many flow upstream.

Driving here can be stressful.  You are dealing with undereducated drivers who all think the rules do not apply to them. 

We have the highest rate of mortality on the roads!  Motorcycles are the reason for this. They do what they want when they want and are rarely held accountable!

Solar - systems are available here. It will be more expensive then you want!  Importing will cost you in shipping duty and sales tax!

@ RockyM

@ Papito NL

@ Planner

Very valuable info. Do any of you drive? I mean it seems you need to be brave enough or crazy enough to risk getting into an accident? Is this the case for any of you.

How do you manage when lets say you need or want to drive to Santo Domingo. What do you do?

Drive your own vehicle, rent a car, or take a bus at one of the terminals?

Everything you say about driving goes to what Herman Ka's point where he wouldn't drive in the DR because it is way too chaotic and if you get into an accident - good luck with that.

I just want to know really, what do you do as driving for shopping, business and pleasure is how most expats are or were use to getting from point a to b and c, etc.??

Also, thank you for answering the solar panel question.

I drive! I drive in Santo Domingo and I hate it. 

Due to my shoulder surgery I have actually hired a driver for longer distances.

I think I'll do just that - hire a driver and at the same time, observe and learn how the local driver navigates through traffic. Thank you for the very helpful and valuable tip.

I hope your shoulder continues to heal. I can';t imagine how it must feel not being able to drive.

@ RockyM
@ Papito NL
@ Planner
Very valuable info. Do any of you drive? I mean it seems you need to be brave enough or crazy enough to risk getting into an accident? Is this the case for any of you.

How do you manage when lets say you need or want to drive to Santo Domingo. What do you do?

Drive your own vehicle, rent a car, or take a bus at one of the terminals?

Everything you say about driving goes to what Herman Ka's point where he wouldn't drive in the DR because it is way too chaotic and if you get into an accident - good luck with that.

I just want to know really, what do you do as driving for shopping, business and pleasure is how most expats are or were use to getting from point a to b and c, etc.??

Also, thank you for answering the solar panel question.

-@Nanosaso

If I lived in DR I would drive for sure. I can't not drive. It's a jail. I'd even have a motorcycle.

Wouldn't drive on vacation: too risky to spoil entire vacation big time.

Wouldn't drive with expired tourist visa: too risky to end up in jail and lose tens of thousands of dollars

Wouldn't drive without a valid license or insurance. Same reason as above. Also, I've read about insurances that get you out of jail on bail very quickly. I'd need one of these.

Wouldn't drive without proper medical insurance

Wouldn't drive with untinted windows. Locals see the driver and recognize an expat: big dollar sign for them.

@ RockyM@ Papito NL@ PlannerVery valuable info. Do any of you drive? I mean it seems you need to be brave enough or crazy enough to risk getting into an accident? Is this the case for any of you. How do you manage when lets say you need or want to drive to Santo Domingo. What do you do?Drive your own vehicle, rent a car, or take a bus at one of the terminals?Everything you say about driving goes to what Herman Ka's point where he wouldn't drive in the DR because it is way too chaotic and if you get into an accident - good luck with that.I just want to know really, what do you do as driving for shopping, business and pleasure is how most expats are or were use to getting from point a to b and c, etc.??Also, thank you for answering the solar panel question.         -@Nanosaso

If I lived in DR I would drive for sure. I can't not drive. It's a jail. I'd even have a motorcycle.

Wouldn't drive on vacation: too risky to spoil entire vacation big time.
Wouldn't drive with expired tourist visa: too risky to end up in jail and lose tens of thousands of dollars
Wouldn't drive without a valid license or insurance. Same reason as above. Also, I've read about insurances that get you out of jail on bail very quickly. I'd need one of these.
Wouldn't drive with untinted windows. Locals see the driver and recognize an expat: big dollar sign for them.

-@Herman.Ka

All of this is completely valid IMO.

To answer the question above we do own a vehicle and we do drive; however, I drive as little as possible here. And I have always been a car and driving fanatic. I am just in favor of limiting my risk. I have never had an auto accident and I really do not want one now, especially here where I have few rights.

@ RockyM

@ Herman.Ka

@ Planner

Thank you for shedding light on this topic of driving in the DR.

Hiring a personal taxi driver is what I'm thinking would be the safest route from all the input received thus far.

RockyM, I'm so sorry you have to limit your driving because of the limited rights expats have in the DR. Was not aware of this and so thanks for sharing. This is sad news just as it is discouraging.

Herman.Ka, thank you for the very insightful and valuable tips.

Planner, I certainly know what you mean as far as driving in Santo Domingo. I have experienced it with exception, I was a passenger in a taxi.

While we're on this topic, what's the average cost for your basic car insurance?

Also, what is the cost for car registration - license plates?

What is the cost to get a regular passenger vehicle driver's license? How long are they valid for?

...And where do you go or what is the name of the place to get your driver license and vehicle registration?

"Wouldn't drive on vacation: too risky to spoil entire vacation big time.

Wouldn't drive with untinted windows. Locals see the driver and recognize an expat: big dollar sign for them."

This is  one of the most succinct things I have seen in a long time. One small correction, it is illegal to tint the front window completely.   I know they do not enforce it but its illegal.

Drivers license - you need residency first.  Cost  I think less than US 100 .

Basic car insurance is called "legal insurance"  meaning only what is required by law and can be as low as  US 150 bucks and you and your car are not covered.

You will want full coverage including "casa de Conductor"  which is that they take you to a sort of hotel instead of jail while they figure out what happened. Its not available everywhere.

Cost is based on the value of your  vehicle.

From the sounds of how things are done in DR, it'll take a lot of getting use to for sure see. Wow!

Thank you. What can you say about mopeds or motor-scooters? Are they also equally dangerous to operate in the DR as it relates to mortality rates in accidents?   

Could you provide an example of price for example if the vehicle's value is $20,000 US, what would be the comprehensive coverage amount to include "casa de conductor" coverage?

From the sounds of how things are done in DR, it'll take a lot of getting use to for sure see. Wow! Thank you. What can you say about mopeds or motor-scooters? Are they also equally dangerous to operate in the DR as it relates to mortality rates in accidents?           -@Nanosaso

:)  Don't know exact numbers, but just a very rough estimate: per car there are probably 10 mopeds and scooters in DR. Car occupants more often than not get away with minor injures in case of accident. Moped riders more likely end up badly injured or dead (especially that almost none of them wear helmets). So maybe per dead car driver there are  20 dead moped drivers? Would be interesting to see the official stats.

Find on youtube "Moto Island: Immersing in the Motorbike Culture of the Dominican Republic". Very interesting, and dozens of great tips from a bike riding expat.

Insurance estimate 20,000 vehicle about 42,000 RD for full insurance.  Paid 30% up front and three payments of the balance.