Healthcare in Greece

Hello everyone,

I'm 64, with pre-existing medical conditions, thinking of retirement in Greece. Social Security is the only income that I have, and no other assets. I understand that my income would be taxed at a flat rate of 7%. I would like to know what would be my options in getting healthcare benefits, either public or private, especially the costs involved. Thank you for any information available.

Hi, have you contacted your accountant in US? As far as I know because I am in a similar situation, even though I am being finalized for dual citizenship as long as you show proof that you're paying taxes in America, they should not be taxing your Social Security income from the US here in Greece, I don't know what your status is and I don't want to give the wrong information but you definitely would want to seek out an accountant here or one you use in America  there are also many XP plans for Insurance that are great. CIGNA global is very good and covers most everything. It depends on how much you want to spend. It is who are not actual citizens and are classified as expatriates. Retiring here is easier if you are part of the EU community then if you are coming from the US, let's say so it may be different I pay taxes here only on whatever I may own for instance car, or a piece of property as far as my Social Security, it still remains intact in the US as I am not certain myself how that would transition I'd be interested to follow this. I do have my bank account still there. Everything is intact and I moved my possessions into my daughters house, which is now considered my address there . I simply opened a bank account here at eurobank which is easy to do, and had to provide to them my letter of Social Security as proof of income. But again I would highly consider seeking out legal advice or from a accountant who can tell you how to declare your earnings as Social Security has already been taxed at least in the US and any taxes that I pay I pay in the US because I do return here and there. Unless you are a dual citizen or are working at becoming a Greek citizen, you need to see what is required for each option.

I hope I haven't confused you. I simply want to guide you to get proper advise. If there is anyone here I'm sure has been through this process will be able to answer more clearly as far as that 7% declaration. I just know that being dual citizen, simply we have to show that we pay taxes in the US as it Has to remain a primary country for my husband and I are Greek descent. He is Greek, and I am the only one born in the US from my family in Greece but I am listed as being my primary and Greek passport being my secondary.

Best wishes, Sophia

Hello Sophie,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Best wishes to you as well.

Constantin