Are there any linux ubuntu fans users in here ?

Hi,

i gave up on winX last year, it took me around 6 weeks to make the transition from win to ubuntu. I also setup a server - a dream come true. It required some coffees and some studying of forums. I never printed out documents in windows to understand how it works - in linux i did!
I tried to do the move several times in my life but often gave up because of some win applications wouldn't work in linux but now quite a few do :) My main reasons were that i saved on licence costs, if you run 5 pcs you add up licence fees and you get the picture. Secondly i wanted something safe, a network not open on wifi (i dont mean that closing your router is the answer). And after all, its fun. But it did require adaptation and mindset changes :) It's like long ago, when you bought a device, you did need to read a big manual before you get started, depending what you want to do with linux, this is sometimes required - but then your machine is in harmony with you. Anyone here also a fan of ubuntu ? Whats your story ? why do you like using it ? Or why don't use it ?...

Dietmar

i know its old, but yeah i use Ubuntu ,12.04

now on Ubuntu 12.10 but i think 13.04 will be out soon.

Love my Linux.
Currently on Ubuntu 12.04

Hi Dietmar,

I am NOT using Ubuntu!

Reason: "I tried to do the move several times in my life but often gave up because of some win applications wouldn't work in linux but now quite a few do"

We have a network with 25 machines and I was thinking about the change, but it's turning up to be too time consuming. I was thinking to take one Ubuntu machine in the network for testing purpose but I could not even connect to our Windows Server. There are mainly applications written in VB6 used here and I am expecting here again problems to get them running. For the time beeing the idea has been buried but if you have some new input - you're welcome.

Michael

hi ,
i've been using linux Ubuntu 12.04 since a couple of month at work and I must say that it's quite cool .
But unfortunately , we are having some connection problem which seems to be affecting inly ubuntu pcs .
am from grand baie too " Dietmar " , if can or know anyone who can help , I'll appreciate .

got to say that anyway , i think of installing it at my home pc too . I guess with a good practice and research on the web , it a very good OS to use .

hi dojoVader,
would appreciate if you could help or know someone who can , to fix a network issue we do have with linux OS .

regards

Hey Guys, great and thanks for posting. It's been a while and I appreciate the feedback. So now we are 2013... Have been running linux over the years. The new versions such as 12.04, 12.10 have been a total pain to install on new PCs with Nvidia graphic cards - i spent weeks. 13.04 works a bit better and I hope 13.10 will be able to handle better new hardware. I have a powerful PC and guess what I am running on it ? 10.04, i couldn't get the 13.04 to work on it :( - 10.04 it ends up to be my favorite, simplistic interface and made no bi bug fuzz with new hardware.

We have a network with 25 machines and I was thinking about the change, but it's turning up to be too time consuming. I was thinking to take one Ubuntu machine in the network for testing purpose but I could not even connect to our Windows Server. There are mainly applications written in VB6 used here and I am expecting here again problems to get them running. For the time beeing the idea has been buried but if you have some new input - you're welcome.

Hi Michael, are we by the way connected on G+ I know a computer guy from Germany around flic en flac who is pretty advanced on this stuff and makes his own scripts and helped me out with one or two scripts through his blog such as running 2 separate skypes on the same session. Regarding your problem... Well never touch a running machine how the saying goes. Am sure the shift to Ubuntu will require you a lot of work and you might need to more sort of a SAMBA server... I do pretty well with just a QNAP. Since I started with just 3 Pcs i grew along that with time and a QNAP or NAS makes life simple for a small network environment. Looking forward in experimenting soon on an IBM Server that can handle 25 work places.

Visual Basic is from Microsoft, i didn't research but Linux is usually a good plattform for anything related to programming languages. But probably Windows and VB just go hand in hand...

If you don't have time... hire an expert.

i've been using linux Ubuntu 12.04 since a couple of month at work and I must say that it's quite cool .
But unfortunately , we are having some connection problem which seems to be affecting inly ubuntu pcs .
am from grand baie too " Dietmar " , if can or know anyone who can help , I'll appreciate .

Hi Macmoro,
what kind of connection problems are you having ? WIFI ? Cable to router to access a server on the network ? I know no one that can help... I just use forums on the web and fix it myself ...or give it after sort of "died" tryin!!! :)