Moving to Bahrain- Visas

Hi guys,

I've just joined this page & it's so informative! I'm hoping someone could help me out with this please…

So I have been offered a job in Bahrain with my current company (they have an office out there) and I really want to take the job however my other half has been struggling to find a suitable job, he has applied to a few but hasn't heard back, he works with ArcGIS.

I know as his wife, I am unable to sponsor him there due to the law in Bahrain.

My question is- If he was able to keep his current UK job but work remotely, is he able to do this on a visit visa in Bahrain? Or is this not allowed? And how often can he renew it?

thank you guys!

1) You should be able to sponsor him as a legal wife.  Check with your company

2) Yes, he can do this but he won't be able to have a bank account without an RP so the salary would have to be received in the UK.  And on a visit visa, he is going to have to enter and exit after a set number of days............depending on the visa he gets on arrival

Thank you for getting back to me.

yes I realised that the law has changed in the last few years & I can sponsor him.

I think he is going to speak with his current work & see if he can relocate & be on a visit visa. Is this a common thing people do in Bahrain? I just want to make sure he is legally allowed to do this. We would be flying back to the UK every few months so I guess he could renew his visa like that. Is it fairly easy to renew a visa?

thanks for all your help.

Yes its common.  He is not working for a company in Bahrain and working remotely, so no issue.  Also, it is not a renewal of visa but rather, he is getting a new visa on arrival every time he lands in Bahrain.

Perfect thank you! Sorry - one more question, how would the medical healthcare work- would be be able to take out a sort of medical healthcare insurance? Even though he won't be a resident. Thanks!

Nope.  He cannot get medical insurance without a resident visa.

However, he can take out a global medical insurance policy from providers like CIGNA etc., which can over him in Bahrain on a pay and claim basis.  Will be more expensive though.

Thats what I thought, thank you for all your help! Super helpful :)

Hi @XTang

Thanks for all of the information here.

With the sponsorship, would my wife be able to sponsor me and therefore I reside in Bahrain on a dependent visa but still work remotely for a non-Bahrain company, as I would do on a 3/6 month visit visa?

Also, is there a time limit on when a wife can sponsor her husband? We will be getting married in June and looking to move to Bahrain in Jan 2024.

Thanks again for all your help!

You can work remotely on a dependent visa as long as you are not working for any entity based in Bahrain.  There is no time limit for sponsorship but you must be legally married at the time of the application - there is no recognition for bf/gf relationship for sponsorship.

Hi @XTang

Thanks again for the information here.

Could I ask, is the ability to work remotely for a non-Bahrain based company whilst on a dependent visa legally allowed, or is it a case of they won't be able to find out that I'm working remotely? Of course, I'd like to keep everything honest and transparent and so just wanted to double check that the visa services would not have an issue with me having a remote, UK-based job whilst on a dependent visa in Bahrain.

Thanks for your help so far.

Working for a company outside of Bahrain is not an issue.

Hey want to ask question

Can you be on grace period and work for the same company?