One year Brussels with daughter- please share your experiences!

Hello everyone!

I am a German single mom who'd like to live abroad one or two years together with my 10 year old daughter. As I have already been to Belgium and kind of fell in love with the country, Brussels is the place to be. If it was my choice I'd like to move to Belgium and stay there for good, at least that's my longterm plan. My ex husband is a caring father and just 'allows' me to realize this one year living abroad. He and his family are totally against this, repeatedly telling me, that I can't make my daughter leave her save environment just to experience a year in another country and then make her leave again for Germany. I do get all of these points and have been thinking about it, but I think that children can handle a lot and I'm so sure that this is going to be a live experience, not only for me, but also for her- in a good way, of course.

So if you are a single mom or expats with children, I would be really happy to hear some of your experiences! What was it like for your children settling in at school, finding friends? And also for yourself? Is it easy to get in contact with people? And what was it like going back after that time you spent abroad?

I have already lived abroad twice but this would be the first time with my daughter. The main reason are learning French and spending a year in another environment, making new experiences.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts on this and giving me some advice.:)