What is domiciliation ?

Hello,

I don't understand what domiciliation is. I do understand that it means that you're living in a certain address, but I don't understand how some rental ads say "no domiciliation". Does this mean that before I rent a studio or an apartment, I must ask for domiciliation and specify it in the contract ? and how do I get domiciliation exactly ? Or is it something that I acquire by default after renting a place ?

Thank you !

Hey,

be careful about the context, especially in french, as the meaning of a word can differ.

"Domiciliation" can mean 2 different things:
* to live legally in an accommodation (meaning you've register yourself at the commune)
* "domiciliation bancaire" meaning that you've granted the right to your bank to send money to a third party every month (example: for your loan)

In case of a rent, 99.99% of the landlord in Belgium, will ask you to do a "domiciliation bancaire" and so at a define date, your bank will send money to your landlord for the accommodation.

Indeed,

If you see "no domiciliation" on a rental ad, that means you cannot register in the local office using this address - typical for airbnbs, holiday or business rentals, short term rentals, etc.

Hi All,

I am from India currently staying in Mechelen since OCT'2022,

I have work permit till May'23. We just completed first appointment & waiting for police verification.

I arrived with Family (Wife & 3 year old kid)

""My landlord says do not domicile with this address for my commune registration ""

Is that hardly required to do Domicile Register the Rental Contract ??

Hence for getting RP or extension RP (for Wife & Kid), is that domicile required, if required then should I look house/apartment where landlord allow me to domicile.

Kindly help us on this questions.

Thanks you

im a student who will start studying in Brussels Belgium do I need a primary residence can I stay at an apartment with no domicile

"no domiciliation on a rental ad means you cannot register in the local office (municipality?)"

Can I use this address to open Belgian bank account?

Can I use this address to receive letter from my French bank?

Can I use this address for Belgian residence permit, national health insurance, CPAS etc.?

Can I use this address for mobile phone contract?

Can I use this address for Gas, Water, Electricity contract for this room?

Can I use this address to receive goods from Amazon???

Merci!

"no domiciliation on a rental ad means you cannot register in the local office (municipality?)"
Can I use this address to open Belgian bank account?
Can I use this address to receive letter from my French bank?
Can I use this address for Belgian residence permit, national health insurance, CPAS etc.?
Can I use this address for mobile phone contract?
Can I use this address for Gas, Water, Electricity contract for this room?
Can I use this address to receive goods from Amazon???
Merci!
-@Henri

What???

No Domiciliation usually it is very shady and means:

1. Landlord got it as first property and got generous tax reductions but has to live there for 3-5 years. They moved somewhere else but are officially registered there in order to fulfill the 3-5 year residence requirement. If you officially register there landlord will loose all his tax advantages and his property tax will be increased. Such landlords are usually very shady and will ask you to pay in cash in many cases. You are legally required to have a 'domiciliation'(official address) if you are living in Belgium for more than 180 days a year.
  2. Landlord or any of their family members might be using the address to claim to live separately and collect social welfare and they do not want to risk loosing it or getting the benefit reduced if the government knows they have rented out to somebody.

In anyway there is something not good and honest going on.

My recommendation is to avoid those properties unless you would like to stay very short term.