Renting a room in a House

Hello Expats,

I have a question to ask, appreciate for your help.

I bought a family house in Zaventem having 2 bedrooms in one floor, and an Attic over with enough space which I am considering to convert into a kind of small studio and put it on Rent. This way it can support part of mortgage loan that we are taking.

The question is, Can I put the room on rent as we will be registered on this address and will commune accept someone living with us on same address and register this person also?

Because the person also has to register in commune and we are family of 3 that will be registered there.
If commune allows, is the income from rent taxed as rental income? Bothf or long term/short term/Airbnb contracts.

Looking forward for your answers.

Hi,

If you sublet any part of your house without the written permission of the owner, you are liable to prosecution and your contract may be broken with penalties.

So do you really want to take risks ...

I did not understand how. I am buying the house so i will be the new owner and i wish to rent one room of my house. The ques is will the commune allow it to someone to share the address with us.

Oups, sorry I was replying on two different subjects on same time.

As owner, you can rent a part of your home to who you want. But to allow the person to formally declare residence at home is also to declare to the taxes that you receive real estate income.

You will also have to budget your consumption and his one (water, electricity, ...), insurance, ...

Allowing domiciliation for tenants who are only renting a room also pose the risks that once he/she is registered, will be considered as part of your household. If he/she is one day to suddenly leave and happens to have uncleared debts, you would then be deemed as liable.
In cases like this, when creditors come knocking they can claim from you his/her owed debts, or even confiscate furniture etc as compensation (this example was provided by a notary).

Hence, only rent  to those whom you really trust, or accept the risks.