Mold in the apartment

Hello all!

Sorry for the long story- I just moved here a few months ago and am having a difficult time with housing! I would really appreciate any advice about even who to turn to.

I am currently looking to end my lease and move to a new place because two months ago a pipe burst in the walls from upstairs and flooded my apartment with sewage (it was from the upstairs neighbor's toilet  :sosad: ) for 3 days. I was left responsible for mopping the place for 2-3 hours every day during those 3 days. The owner said the pipe was "fixed" but I believe that it is not because now our utility room always has a wet floor and the walls are turning black with mold and the drywall is starting to fall from the ceiling. Our utility room shares a wall with our kitchen and the water is coming in on our kitchen wall as well and growing mold across the plaster and on the tiles on the ground where the water is seeping in slowly. I have asthma and am allergic to mold and have been experiencing a lot of medical problems since moving in.

Could you help me advise me or point me to someone who can help with two things? One- can I break this lease if I have messages to the owner on Nov 23rd asking to fix the wall in the kitchen that was growing and now is moldy and she has done nothing to fix it since then? The utility room is also ours and completely falling apart with black mold from the water.

Second, how do I find out if our lease was registered? We never received any notice.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

After reading your request, the only conclusion that comes to my mind is that you have not taken out rental insurance ... What is mandatory for any real estate rental in Belgium

If so, you can honestly sit on the floor and cry. Because everything can be charged to you at the level of responsibility ... All the repairs are likely to be invoiced to you !!!

The only possible escape is to contact the Planning Department to request that your accommodation be declared unhealthy. And again it is without guarantee of success.

Thank you for your response. I do have rental insurance, but help me understand how that would help me? The pipe that burst was not from my apartment, but from the one upstairs again, it was located within the walls. The owner owns the entire building and it seems a pipe within the walls would fall under what is a landlord is responsible for? If not then why did she have it fixed, although, poorly?

I found this in rights for tenants in Belgium:

"Which kinds of repairs is the landlord obliged to carry out?
The basic rule is that the landlord must deliver the dwelling in good repair or
whatever character. During the contract, he is responsible for damage resulting from
normal wear and tear, normal use, old age, major repairs, major maintenance, force
majeure and hidden defects. Furthermore, he must, make all the repairs which may
become necessary other than those incumbent upon the tenant. Finally, keeping the
wells and cesspools clean is also the landlord's responsibility. "
https://www.tenlaw.uni-bremen.de/My%20R … Europe.pdf

I tried to look for the "planning department" but am not sure which one it is, could you give me a link? Thank you for your help!

Whatever the problem has started and when it comes to, you must call them urgently. They will make an inspection and then they will come back in touch with the owner and his insurer. Then they will discuss between experts. And a consensus will be made. From there, you will enjoy it to break the contract.

clara628 wrote:

I found this in rights for tenants in Belgium:

https://www.tenlaw.uni-bremen.de/My%20R … Europe.pdf

I have read this document. It is not bad but incomplete on many points.