Latest Status on Tap Water

Greetings all,

From what I've read, tap water, even in the cities, is not potable. Therefore, it is recommended to buy bottled water as boiling tap water would still leave dangerous metals.

Is this an accurate depiction of life in HCMC and other major centres? If so, what is your go to company for delivered water?

Cheers,

Roger
Greetings all,

From what I've read, tap water, even in the cities, is not potable. Therefore, it is recommended to buy bottled water as boiling tap water would still leave dangerous metals.

Is this an accurate depiction of life in HCMC and other major centres? If so, what is your go to company for delivered water?

Cheers,

Roger
- @RTLisSB
Yes, that's the way it is.

Aquafina or Dasani or Nestle brand La Vie (more electrolytes) are the main brands but there are others, including some companies that provide home delivery of larger water-cooler sized bottles.

Best to buy it at chain markets (Circle K, Vinmart, Mega Market, Big C, Lotte Mart, etc) as there is a known practice of counterfeiters refilling used bottles with plain untreated tap water and selling it to small stores for resale.

Ideally, only purchase water with a protective plastic film on the bottle cap.
La Vie is a source water, the most favorite of expats.

Aquafina is pure water, drinking pure water every day is dangerous for health https://www.dimewaterinc.com/is-pure-water-bad-for-you/

Dasani is pure water but with minerals added.

Anyway, Aquafina and Dasani don't sell big 19L bottles.
Tip: Carrying water home is not fun.  If you live in a tower there will be service that can bring bottles to your door. Otherwise ask neighbors what they do.
Greetings all,

Cheers,

Roger
- @RTLisSB
Yes, that's the way it is.

Aquafina or Dasani or Nestle brand La Vie (more electrolytes) are the main brands but there are others, including some companies that provide home delivery of larger water-cooler sized bottles.

Best to buy it at chain markets (Circle K, Vinmart, Mega Market, Big C, Lotte Mart, etc) as there is a known practice of counterfeiters refilling used bottles with plain untreated tap water and selling it to small stores for resale.

Ideally, only purchase water with a protective plastic film on the bottle cap.
- @OceanBeach92107

Great to know, thanks!
@Erikji

Got it! Awesome!

Any idea what I'd pay for a 24 pack?

R
@gobot

Will do!

Cheers,

Roger
I feel you are overthinking things and trying to have everything sorted before arriving.

Hit the ground, talk to other expats and locals. Dont try to understand how everything works before arriving.

As the saying goes, "getting lost is part of the adventure."
@RTLisSB

Once you've set up your base, get yourself a water cooler/dispenser (the sort which accept the 20L bottles). You will surely be drinking a lot of water, and you'll be glad to have gotten it.

We get ten 20L bottles each delivery (as mentioned by Gobot, carrying water is NOT fun).

Initial cost (in both N. and S. of VN) was 50K VND deposit, per bottle, so ten bottles 500K VND (about $30 CDN).

After that (refundable!) deposit, each delivery you pay for water only. The company delivers ten new full bottles, and takes back the empties. Here in PHU Quoc (and Saigon too, if I do recall correctly), 20L of water is 15K (~85 cents CDN). In Thai Nguyen20L was 12K VND (65 cents CDN).

Very economical, and price includes delivery.

My most valued, and most used, appliance
water-cooler-dispenser-500x500.jpg
I feel you are overthinking things and trying to have everything sorted before arriving.

Hit the ground, talk to other expats and locals. Dont try to understand how everything works before arriving.

As the saying goes, "getting lost is part of the adventure."
- @colinoscapee

I don't ding anyone for planning ahead. In fact this sounds like a scouting trip for a future move. 1f44d.svg

Hey TRL, you get your home country motorcycle license yet?  Getting google voice set up? Looks like that is available now for canucks, free internet calls to home.  ATM card with a bank having low or no fees?

Somebody should write a guide for all this stuff.   1f449.svg1f920.svg1f916.svg1f921.svg1f47a.svg1f47b.svg
@colinoscapee

That is probably true.

Too much time in the military and project management; I just like to have things sorted out.

R
@Aidan in HCMC

Cheers!

Roger
@gobot

Good points, and yes, I do have my motorcycle license. :-)

And yes, this year will be my "scouting" trip. Hoping to do 4 to 6 months next year.

Roger
I recommend one of those filtering/softening shower heads also. When changing the cotton filter on mine I'm always like "glad I didnt get that on me". Sometimes the chunks of rusty crud are so big they'd likely block the shower head if a few got through.

@OceanBeach92107  G'day...years ago. Bali. Kids collecting discarded water bottles and lids. Wash thoroughly, in dirty creek water  dry in sun. Fill either water "purified through old socks (true). Screw on lids then 4 spot super glue with plastic ring, AND plastic heated on just like a pro. Sold on the street, bottles lying in ice, in a near perfect reproduction of a leading company's stand...

@RTLisSB I've lived in Nha Trand on and off for the last 3+ years. The day after I bought my condo, I went to MegaMarket and bought a water filter that attaches to the water input for my kitchen sink, and has a dedicated faucet. It cost less than 2 million dong (I think it was about 1.7 mil, or around 70-80 US Dollars). It's been working perfect since I got it. They also sell stand alone units for a minumim of 3 million that all seem to work just fine. It may not be the best solution if you're traveling from place to place, but once you've decided on somewhere a bit more permanent, it's a no-brainer.

@RTLisSB I've lived in Nha Trand on and off for the last 3+ years. The day after I bought my condo, I went to MegaMarket and bought a water filter that attaches to the water input for my kitchen sink, and has a dedicated faucet. It cost less than 2 million dong (I think it was about 1.7 mil, or around 70-80 US Dollars). It's been working perfect since I got it. They also sell stand alone units for a minumim of 3 million that all seem to work just fine. It may not be the best solution if you're traveling from place to place, but once you've decided on somewhere a bit more permanent, it's a no-brainer.

- @theschust

Thank you for that, Theschust. I looked at filtration systems when I arrived in 2017, but from what I could glean from my (admittedly limited) research, each were designed/intended for filtration of particulate matter, not of chemical contaminants.
The convenience of simply using the faucet would be a boon!
Can you provide additional info on your model-brand of filter? I'd jump at buying one at that price if indeed it was able to purify the water.

- @theschust

Thank you for that, Theschust. I looked at filtration systems when I arrived in 2017, but from what I could glean from my (admittedly limited) research, each were designed/intended for filtration of particulate matter, not of chemical contaminants.
The convenience of simply using the faucet would be a boon!
Can you provide additional info on your model-brand of filter? I'd jump at buying one at that price if indeed it was able to purify the water.

- @Aidan in HCMC

I bought the 5 stage filter system from MM was 1.3mill (in 2018) the PP filters are around 20k i changed out the granulated carbon for a ceramic carbon, as used in systems in USA so i have 1 PP & 2 ceramic, the ceramic filters 35k.

You need a "T" fitting and get a ball valve to shut off flow to inlet pipe when you change out filters.

Fittings and pipe tape were around 150k at the time.

Ive put it in and out 3 units and 1 house so far, takes less than 30 min.

I also got 1M plastic pipe to fit faucet to fill 20L water bottle that then goes onto water cooler.

Faucet also used for washing food, cooking, ice, coffee machine, havnt bought water in 3+ years

I just checked MM website I only saw Vasstar brand in 2 & 3 filter not the no name brand. Maybe they have some in store. I'LL  see if i can find mine online shopping for you.

Edit - if you jump on Lazada "3+2 5 Stage Drinking Water Filter Ultrafiltration System Home Kitchen " that kit has the "T" & ball valve combined included for less than 1mill
For drinking when out and about buy sparkling water - much harder to fabricate.
I bought Vasstar system model # AK-30-1812-75.
Works great
Works great
- @theschust

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Off topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
@RTLisSB

Probably I'm lucky enough that my apartment come with a water dispenser. Plug the power point and ready to use, dispense really hot water ( more than enough temperature to cook cup noodle or brew coffee ) and cool water as well ( quench my thirst after returning home from 37 C weather ). Included inside the "package" is 2 x 20 liters bottle per month. Anything fall short, can easy purchase the water ( come together with the bottle container ) at any street vendor stall. Hassle free, maintenance free and surely frill free.

Should your new home come with this, then lucky you. Else you may demand for such if possible. Alternatively may purchase a unit at any electronics shop. For me, prefer the bottle to be on top while the water flow downward thru a control nozzle. Another type, the unit may look neat where the bottle is place inside the body of the dispenser. Same concept but find that this embedded dispenser will have lots of water wastage when nearing to its end in such that final water residue are unable to be suck out. Worst is to joint the pipe to the bottle. It may not be fun though.

Brand... no preference but for me either brands have some hint of earthy after taste. Well the body may need such minerals rather that pure DI water.
Works great
- @theschust

- @THIGV
1. There is a difference between promoting a "business" and sharing information about an individual product.

2. Every post is considered individually, in context.

3. As you say (and you've made clear myriad times) you don't support the policies of this website or the efforts of volunteers and moderators to keep a lid on posts that would be contrary to the guidance we've received from forum owner Julien.

Is tap water safe for brushing your teeth?
- @myajenni

I suppose it depends on how much you use, the place we rent has massive water filters on all the incoming water that gets turned off and filters serviced every month.

If in doubt use filtered/bottled, the saying is "use a filter or be a filter"

When you due to arrive?
- @myajenni

I suppose it depends on how much you use, the place we rent has massive water filters on all the incoming water that gets turned off and filters serviced every month.

If in doubt use filtered/bottled, the saying is "use a filter or be a filter"

When you due to arrive?
- @Andybris2020

" . . . it depends on how much you use." If there is bacteria or giardia or amoeba in the water, a sickening dose can be had in a single drop. My physician father used to take a single drop of our tap water (in India) and put it on a microscope slide for our viewing pleasure. That single drop was teeming with creatures and we could actually watch an amoeba devour a bacterium. Lovely. Giardiasis can make a person pretty sick.

That said, how much you use is pretty irrelevant as it depends upon what living microorganisms found in the water -- a single drop could make you sick.

On the other hand, modern triple filters are very effective. The triple is 1) screen whose pores are small enough to strain out giardia, which is a larger organism, 10-20 micrometers, than most bacteria (1-10 microns); 2) a charcoal filter to absorb volatile chemicals such as spilled gasoline (petrol) or other petroleum products; and 3) an ultraviolet light that kills bacteria in the water. These are very effective but require regular maintenance, like, monthly.

Good luck. I, for one, would not brush my teeth with tap water in HCMC, for example. I bought bottled water there for anything that would go in my mouth, including teeth brushing. :)

- @myajenni
Keep either mouthwash or bottled water (or both) and a small glass or disposable paper cups next to your sink.

Unless you've lived here for years and don't care any longer.

When I want my toothbrush "wet" I just stick the brush end in my mouth and after a few seconds saliva does the trick.

Then I only need to rinse with mouthwash or water afterwards.

P.S. People often say you can get ANYTHING here.

Try finding original brown Listerine mouthwash...
@OceanBeach92107

How about other flavours, OB?

R
A follow up from all the great info above:
Do you experienced folks only use bottled water for cooking, or will boiling/cooking the tap water take care of the bacteria issues? From what I'm reading the only people cooking with tap water are the ones with filters.
Finally, are there any issues when showering, i.e., do you need to keep your mouth closed or is that just silly paranoia?
Best regards,
Roger
Do you experienced folks only use bottled water for cooking, or will boiling/cooking the tap water take care of the bacteria issues? From what I'm reading the only people cooking with tap water are the ones with filters.
Finally, are there any issues when showering, i.e., do you need to keep your mouth closed or is that just silly paranoia?
Best regards,
Roger
- @RTLisSB

Ha ha depends on if you stand there normally drinking in the shower.

Most locals boil it and make tea and drink that as iced tea, they wash all fruit & veg, cooking they just use out the tap for soups etc with the same logic that boiling it kills everything.

Many get the 20L bottled water and use that for drinking, making ice etc.

Obviously those with western connection in the family start to use bottled or filtered water because we are not as tolerant of any nasties in the tap water which is why many westerners stay well away from it.
@Andybris2020
Thanks, Andy.

Bottled, it is!

Roger
There was an elderly expat lady in Hanoi who warned everyone who would listen that everyone was going to get MRSA conjunctivitis from not keeping their eyes totally sealed shut in the shower.

I've never contracted it, and I often let shower water rinse my eyes.

You are just as likely (if not more so, because Vietnamese are less cautious about it) to get sick from residual water on salad greens.

There comes a certain point here where some people realize they've been getting a few drops here and a few drops there and they've had Bác Hồ's Revenge once or twice already, but not for a long time, so maybe they have developed a tolerance?

Not that you start routinely gulping tap water, but you stop freaking out over wet lettuce or a damp toothbrush head.

Or you switch from water to bia...
- @myajenni

Hopefully you will be on some sort of prophylactic regimen.
If you are not on an antiparasitic regimen, be aware that there are many other routes of entry for parasites to enter.

Either way, plan for it would be my advice.

I cook with bottled water only. However, I do wash rice, potatoes, greens etc in tap water from our well, and drain it as best I can. It's not just bacterium and parasites you have to be careful of (which will be killed in the cooking process), but also chemical contaminants.
Best regards,
Roger
- @RTLisSB

I can't in the shower. It makes my karaoke shower mic sound muffled. :)

Used tap water for cooking and brushing my teeth for nearly 15- years, never had any major issues.
Thanks everyone. ive been in HCMC for two days now amd will be here til 9/5. Ill stick to bottled water. I suppose will be similair throughout southeast asia? ill be spending about one month each in Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia. On a 6 month sabbatical abd using it to backpack SEA.
Grab yourself a metal thermos style water bottle (like a lock&lock 700ml) make your own ice and fill before you go out, (or buy a cup of ice from supermarket like winmart, GS25, 7/11 etc they sell ice by the cup and dump it in yours), top up from bought water bottle or soda etc, last a long time if topping off with cold drink out shop fridge.

We fill ours when go on a trip and hang on bike lasted from HCMC to Mui Ne and still had ice in it.
Used tap water for cooking and brushing my teeth for nearly 15- years, never had any major issues.
- @colinoscapee

same here 14 plus years, however I did contract Salmonella here (suppose from eggs) which led to reactive arthritis hell for 2.5 years & now in remission thankfully. Now I make sure everything including egg is washed all be it in tap water. I live in a fairly up market apartment complex now & I think the water is filtered however when I lived in the sticks the water was drawn from a well (as most are) that was positioned less than 40 mtrs from the septic tank all be it deeper (I think)