Thailand retirement visa

Hi,

Looking to live in Thailand for 6 months every year on a retirement visa. 

Over 50 run my own UK based business. 

Does anyone have advice on checking emails and carrying on clerical duties from a laptop in a rented villa/condo? Is it an absolute no no or a possibility if conduct with discretion? 

Thanks 

If the business is located outside Thailand and you are not doing business in Thailand it is not an issue. You would only have a problem if you are on a retirement visa and work for a business located in Thailand.

Also note that there is no liability for tax or social security payments on any income or pension derived outside Thailand

Hi,

Looking to live in Thailand for 6 months every year on a retirement visa.

Over 50 run my own UK based business.

Does anyone have advice on checking emails and carrying on clerical duties from a laptop in a ... - @philb690

No one knows what you're doing online at home. But if you're going for a 90 days Non-immigrant O visa based on retirement and annual extensions based on retirement, there are requirements. Either 800k baht in a Thai bank or deposits of 65k/month from a pension provider. The local immigration office might ask for proof of source. The source can't be your income from work. Another option if you don't meet the requirements,is using an agent. The cost depends on agent and location,from about 12,000 baht and up

@philb690 

Use a VPN. No one can see what you do then.

@philb690 

Use a VPN. No one can see what you do then.

- @Robbie Throck-Morton
No one is looking. 

@TheBeachBangsaray 

Thanks for the information it's much appreciated.

As another poster mentions using a VPN would also be a good idea.

In terms of obtaining the retirement visa in your opinion what are the main obstacles?

I was planning on opening a Thai bank account with Bangkok Bank in the UK to deposit the 800k tbht then enter Thailand on a tourist visa with health insurance via my Emirates flight. Secure a condo rental then provide the bank passbook proof of residence and completed O status visa application at the consulate/embassy.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks 

@TheBeachBangsaray 

Thanks for the information it's much appreciated.

As another poster mentions using a VPN would also be a good idea.

In terms of obtaining the retirement visa in your opinion what are the main ... - @philb690

You must have the 800k in a Thai bank in Thailand. If arriving on a 60 days tourist visa, you have to change visa from tourist to a 90 days Non-immigrant O visa at the local immigration office after about 30 days. When changing visa you must have the 800k in your bank account (and also an official adress). This is not negotiable. If you don't have a bank account on arrival, you have 30 days to get one. If you need more time, you can extend the 60 days tourist visa another 30 days at immigration and that gives you 60 days to fix everything you need for the change of visa. Then after 60 days into the 90 days visa you can apply for a 1 year extension. Same requirements,800k in a Thai bank in Thailand and an address. You must have the 800k in the account 2 months prior to the day of application. This is also not negotiable. In my opinion it's much easier to arrive on a 90 days Non-immigrant O visa based on retirement obtained in the UK. But then you need to be officially retired, and you MUST open a bank account and deposit 800k during the first 30 days in Thailand. 

@Leeds forever! No need to be retired as a pensioner. Basic condition is just age over 50...

@philb690 you must transfer the 800,001 baht by bank's swift code and account number from UK to a Thai Bangkok bank branch saving account in Thailand previously opened on your name, not in UK. Easy to do if you have online banking, so to do it when you in Thailand already. And you send UK Pounds and receive in Thailand bank the automatic converted Thai baht, you receive sms of the incoming transfer, so you need a Thai SIM card too. Either you send smaller amounts step by step daily/weekly or one time amount with a surplus to be safely over the 800,001 that must stay over all the time for 61 days before the day you go to extend and 91 days after the extension date, cause next year they will check if this timing was respected to grant extension once again.
At bank account opening you will get a Savings account book (and ATM/debit card) that you should keep updated at least once every 15 days at tellers outside branches to then photocopy each page and hand over with the original to the immigration officer during the extension procedures. So they can check that every day in the past 61 days the amont was over 800,001 baht.
The address to use can also be a Hotel where you stay for monthly rate at beginning before you find and have a rented room, and can mention that Hotel name and full address on the immigration request form (ask reception full detailed address, officers get angry easy if you don't know it in full)
Later you can rent a room for longer 6/12 month and go change it at immigration within the first 24 hours you stay in the new place with a TM-30 form they give you.

@philb690 What I forgat is that you must have a re-entry visa stamp on passport or if you leave without the original permit is void and must remake all from beginning. Furthermore you must get back in Thailand few days before stay permit expires to apply for the new extention or the Visa is canceled automaticly at the expire date written on it.

@Leeds forever! No need to be retired as a pensioner. Basic condition is just age over 50...

- @Maxi Mari
Not entirely correct. If you apply for a 90 days Non-immigrant O visa based on retirement in your home country, in several countries Thai embassies/consulates asks for proof of being retired. That means you need a certificate from your pension provider saying you are retired. No certificate,no Visa.On top of that, in Thailand as a retiree when using the monthly deposit method, immigration might ask for the source of the deposits. So,they will ask for the same certificate the Thai embassy/consulate in your home country asks for. This requirement is very common for UK,US and Australian citizens who can't get income letters from their embassies/consulates since Jan 1, 2019. When using the money in the bank method, immigration won't ask anything.

@Leeds forever! Ok, understand. Might be cause I did from beginning by 800,000 deposit. And when I applied the Non-Imm-O visa for Retirement purpose at Thai Embassy in Italy in 2014, they did not ask to be a pensioner or any other certificate. Cause in case of need this will be a check to be done by Thai Immigration in Thailand according to different route requirements, not by Thai Embassy.
But sure if retired with a pension the best way is to have directly a statement of income made in UK and assevered by Ministery chop and stamps and recognized by Thai Embassy there so it's already done and no need to ask to UK Embassy in Thailand where they never issue such a document but instead they can put their approval chop and signature to recognize it as original for the Thai authorities.
@Leeds forever! Ok, understand. Might be cause I did from beginning by 800,000 deposit. And when I applied the Non-Imm-O visa for Retirement purpose at Thai Embassy in Italy in 2014, they did not ask to be a pensioner or any other certificate. Cause in case of need this will be a check to be done by Thai Immigration in Thailand according to different route requirements, not by Thai Embassy.
But sure if retired with a pension the best way is to have directly a statement of income made in UK and assevered by Ministery chop and stamps and recognized by Thai Embassy there so it's already done and no need to ask to UK Embassy in Thailand where they never issue such a document but instead they can put their approval chop and signature to recognize it as original for the Thai authorities.
- @Maxi Mari
" Cause in case of need this will be a check to be done by Thai Immigration in Thailand according to different route requirements, not by Thai Embassy."
Not correct. Thai immigration has nothing to do with applications abroad and required documents. They only require certain documents when applying for 1 year extensions in Thailand. A document from a pension provider showing your income is only valid 6 months at immigration. So,if you're staying in a province long term using the monthly deposit method,and immigration is asking for proof of retirement (and the source of income), you need a document sent from your pension provider every year when extending the stay. Some immigration offices in Thailand are very difficult to deal with,luckily not everyone. Using the 800k in the bank is much easier,no documents needed,just the usual bank letter.
@philb690

Phil I just found this forum and am in a similar position but a fair way behind you , would be interested on what if any progress you have made. Regards Dan
@philb690

Thanks for all of the information it's much appreciated.

To clarify ill not be retired in UK and plan to work from Thailand using laptop only for my UK business mainly over the UK winter.

I will be using the 800k deposit route and not monthly income.

In practice then:

1. Have 60 day tourist visa in place. Free. apply on line.
2. Have a return flight booked after 60 days. Forfeit return trip.
3. Set up Thai bank account with 800k as soon as arrive in Thailand
4. Organise one month condo rent
6. After 30 days transfer to a 90 day non immigrant visa at Thai immigration
7. Take out annual Health insurance.
8. After 30 days move to a long term condo/villa on a reduced 1 year rent cost.
9. After 60 days apply for 1 year extension
with re-entry permit.
10.  Check in with Thai immigration every 90 days.
11. Come and go as I like.

Is this correct? Thanks
I applied for the same VISA. I had to have an established home address before I was able to obtain a personal Thai bank account. I had to show mail or some other document that showed that it was my address. That said, I live in Loei which is a rural area and most of the banks that I went to had different requirements for the bank account.
@philb690

Thanks for all of the information it's much appreciated.

To clarify ill not be retired in UK and plan to work from Thailand using laptop only for my UK business mainly over the UK winter.

I will be using the 800k deposit route and not monthly income.

In practice then:

1. Have 60 day tourist visa in place. Free. apply on line.
2. Have a return flight booked after 60 days. Forfeit return trip.
3. Set up Thai bank account with 800k as soon as arrive in Thailand
4. Organise one month condo rent
6. After 30 days transfer to a 90 day non immigrant visa at Thai immigration
7. Take out annual Health insurance.
8. After 30 days move to a long term condo/villa on a reduced 1 year rent cost.
9. After 60 days apply for 1 year extension
with re-entry permit.
10.  Check in with Thai immigration every 90 days.
11. Come and go as I like.

Is this correct? Thanks
- @philb690
You must have the 800k in the bank account when applying for the "Change of Visa".
The annual insurance is not mandatory when on an initial Non-immigrant O Visa. You just need an insurance covering the first 60 days in Thailand if that requirement still exist when you apply at home.
I applied for the same VISA. I had to have an established home address before I was able to obtain a personal Thai bank account. I had to show mail or some other document that showed that it was my address. That said, I live in Loei which is a rural area and most of the banks that I went to had different requirements for the bank account.
- @rzugnoni
I have had several bank accounts in Thailand in 3 provinces and I never had to show any evidence of actually having an existing address in my home country. I just used the last home address I had back home.
I had to show my permanent address where I was living in Thailand. I think that the requirements vary depending on the bank that you go to. A few banks would not give me an account no matter what I showed them. Also the bank that I did get an account with did not even understand what a Type O visa was. We had to convince them that the visa that was included in my passport was the actual visa. They expected to see a separate form. I have heard of some people that have not had nearly the trouble that I had.

Also the 800000 Baht has to be in your personal account for at least 60 days prior to going to the immigration office to change your visa. This I know for a fact as I accidentally violated that rule.
I had to show my permanent address where I was living in Thailand. I think that the requirements vary depending on the bank that you go to. A few banks would not give me an account no matter what I showed them. Also the bank that I did get an account with did not even understand what a Type O visa was. We had to convince them that the visa that was included in my passport was the actual visa. They expected to see a separate form. I have heard of some people that have not had nearly the trouble that I had.

Also the 800000 Baht has to be in your personal account for at least 60 days prior to going to the immigration office to change your visa. This I know for a fact as I accidentally violated that rule.
- @rzugnoni
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant an address back home. Of course you need to show a permanent address in Thailand,that's obvious. Some banks asks for a Resident Certificate from Immigration. But several banks also want an address in your home country even if you have migrated. The 800k must be in your account 2 months prior to the day you apply, not 60 days, (it's not the same thing).
@philb690
Hi,
Is it 800,000/- Thai Baht?
@philb690
Hi,
Is it 800,000/- Thai Baht?
- @meera66
Yes,800,000 baht if you go for the money in the bank method. You can also use the combination method if you are retired but don't have enough pension (65,000 baht/month) and don't have 800k in the bank. You can combine pension per month and money in the bank. It has to be 800k combined per year. Some immigration offices,for some strange reason,don't accept the combination method.
L'ouverture d'un compte bancaire en Thaïlande n'est pas une chose simple pour un étranger : les "lois" provinciales ne sont pas partout les mêmes et le personnel des agences bancaires n'est pas toujours bien informé.
Il est conseillé de se faire accompagner dans les démarches par un "ami" thaï déjà titulaire d'un compte dans la banque choisie.
En théorie, l'ouverture d'un compte par un étranger devrait être une bénédiction pour une banque thaï !

L'ouverture d'un compte bancaire en Thaïlande n'est pas une chose simple pour un étranger : les "lois " les provinciales ne sont pas partout les mêmes et le personnel des agences bancaires n'est pas toujours bien informé.

Il est conseillé de se faire accompagner dans les démarches par un "ami" thaïlandais déjà titulaire d'un compte dans la banque choisie.
En théorie, l'ouverture d'un compte par un étranger devrait être une bénédiction pour une banque thaïlandaise !

L'ouverture d'un compte bancaire en Thaïlande n'est pas une chose simple pour un étranger : les "lois " les provinciales ne sont pas partout les mêmes et le personnel des agences bancaires n'est pas toujours bien informé.

Il est conseillé de se faire accompagner dans les démarches par un "ami" thaïlandais déjà titulaire d'un compte dans la banque choisie.
En théorie, l'ouverture d'un compte par un étranger devrait être une bénédiction pour une banque thaïlandaise !
- @Patviathai
 This looks like a riddle. What are you trying to say? Use English instead, please.
@Leeds forever!

Thanks for correcting that. We made the mistake of pulling money out of the account just before the two month requirement. I had to wait an extra 5 days before going for my 2nd one year extension. I ended up having to pay a fine but everything went OK after that.

@Leeds forever!

Whom does it in Pattaya for 12 k

@Leeds forever!

What agent will do visa for 12k

@Leeds forever!
What agent will do visa for 12k

-@Seanshow

Have I mentioned 12k? Friends of mine in Jomtien have been paying 13.5k for years to an agent in Pattaya.The price depends on which requirements you don't meet. It's normally financial requirements.