Highly skilled employees

Hello,

I was hired as a highly-skilled employee but I don't know what's the difference between a highly-skilled employee and a "normal" employee? I don't mean the salary or the position that you have in the company, I mean what does it have as an advantage over other work permits?

Also, my first card in Belgium is valid for 3 years, but I read usually limited to 1 year. So why did they give me 3 years from the first time? as the person who was in charge of my application for the residence card said next time you will come after 3 years we will give you 5 years card!

Thanks in advance for your answers.

serano2020 wrote:

Hello,

I was hired as a highly-skilled employee but I don't know what's the difference between a highly-skilled employee and a "normal" employee? I don't mean the salary or the position that you have in the company, I mean what does it have as an advantage over other work permits?

Also, my first card in Belgium is valid for 3 years, but I read usually limited to 1 year. So why did they give me 3 years from the first time? as the person who was in charge of my application for the residence card said next time you will come after 3 years we will give you 5 years card!

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Is that so? My single permit application is still in process and I am also considered a highly-skilled employee since it's in an IT field. And I also researched that it's supposed to be 1 year and it's renewable every year, so now it is now valid for 3 years? If so then that's good news so it's a less hassle to the employer as well to keep on renewing it every year.

I really don't know that's why I am asking, I took my work permit 1 year ago so I don't know how long it takes to get it at the moment. My colleague was hired as highly skilled employee as well but his residence card was valid only for 1 year.

Hello,

basically the European blue card is kinda useless in Belgium (H Card) and nearly no one is requesting them, except the worker with a blue card that are already working elsewhere in Europe.

You can already have a highly-skilled status with a single permit. (condition on the salary is lower than the H card).
As far as I remember for the H card you must get at least 53k+, master diploma etc...

More info there https://ec.europa.eu/immigration/belgium_en

1 year card or 3 years... it depends on the region and what your employer asked.
Basically the region are trying to give 3 years to avoid too much administration work every year.

Actually, I got a highly-skilled employee status without a master's degree, I had experience and my salary exceeds 53k.

I got the residence card from the Wallonia region, the weird thing is that I and my colleague applied at the same time and I got 3 years on the card while he got 1-year renewable even tho we have the same work permit and the same level of experience and salary.

What experience do you have and how many years

I have a IT technician diploma + 4 years of experience working in IT field

The A card can be valid 1 or 3 years, it depends on the region + the contract that you've signed.
Basically, it doesn't really matter at all.
If you have a 3 years card, then it means less administration to do for both the immigration/region and for your employer. it's win/win.
And if your job is canceled / you're fired / ..., then your resident card will be also canceled, unless you find a new job fast.

Keep in mind that the single permit is a combo: work permit + resident permit.
If you don't work anymore, your resident permit will be canceled.
Which means, that as long as you're working, you'll have your card renewed too.

So, no matter if it's written 1, 3 , 5 , 10 years in it.
As you're not yet a permanent resident / EU national, your resident card can be easily canceled if you don't work anymore.