3 million baht health insurance for O visa

Is the newly introduced 3 million baht health insurance compulsory requirement for renewal of Thai Wife Visa ?

No mandatory insurance for an extension based on marriage (there's no such thing as a Thai wife visa). Only when on an O-A.

As I understand , Marriage Visa is classified as O Visa as well.
As the newly introduced 3 million baht health insurance for O Visa application becomes law , wouldn't apply to Marriage Visa application / renewal ?

wongecw wrote:

As I understand , Marriage Visa is classified as O Visa as well.
As the newly introduced 3 million baht health insurance for O Visa application becomes law , wouldn't apply to Marriage Visa application / renewal ?

Did you read my earlier post? There is no mandatory health insurance when extending a permission of stay based on marriage. It only applies to the O-A Long Stay Visa and the 1 year extension. It has nothing to do with any Non-immigrant O extension and no one has ever mentioned any health insurance and no such insurance has been introduced. There will probably not even be an insurance covering USD100,000 but instead it needs to cover only USD50,000.

Thank you for your clear expanded explanation .Much obliged .
For your amusement , I have " THAI WIFE " rubber stamped over the visa stamp .

wongecw wrote:

Thank you for your clear expanded explanation .Much obliged .
For your amusement , I have " THAI WIFE " rubber stamped over the visa stamp .

For your information, you don't have any visa in Thailand. You're on a "Permission of stay",nothing else. That's the extension stamp including the expiring date stamp. A visa is what you get from an Embassy or Consulate abroad,for example a 60 days tourist visa or a 90 days Non-immigrant O, and it's used when you enter Thailand. That's the first stamp you get in your passport from the immigration officer at the airport, a large USED on top of the visa.

Thank you once again  !

The new reentry rule states " Expats living and working in Thailand under a valid visa or residential permit are required to provide proof of insurance coverage ..."
Is my " permission to stay " not the same as "residential permit"  ?
Please excuse my paranoia re health insurance as nobody is interested to insure me , being 74 years old .

wongecw wrote:

The new reentry rule states " Expats living and working in Thailand under a valid visa or residential permit are required to provide proof of insurance coverage ..."
Is my " permission to stay " not the same as "residential permit"  ?
Please excuse my paranoia re health insurance as nobody is interested to insure me , being 74 years old .

I think you have read it a bit wrong. Shouldn't it be a re-entry permit? There's no residential permit, but there's a "Permanent Residency", but it doesn't include you or me. The insurances you're reading about now it's because of covid-19,and it applies to everybody entering Thailand except Thai nationals. It has nothing to do with extensions while in Thailand,just people entering Thailand on several types of visa or re-entry permits (during the emergency decree which is still in effect), like the STV, a 60 days tourist visa and other types of visa. If they are staying 60 days, they just need a health insurance covering $50,000, incl covid-19 for 60 days. That's not expensive. You just need an insurance, even a foreign insurance works fine now for the time you're staying. Stay 2 weeks and you just need an insurance for 2 weeks. What's the problem? For retirees on a re-entry permit, it depends on how much time it's left on the current "permission of stay". It probably sucks if they have a lot of time left. But you are staying in Thailand, so why do you worry? If you're on an initial O-visa based on retirement,no insurance needed.

First and foremost , I must thank you for your patience and tireless effort helping the expat community.Its invaluable !

I understand that I do not need health insurance for renewal of my extension of stay .Copy that .

My last and only question left is that would I need health insurance on my return from overseas while I'm holding a current valid permission of stay and reentry permit ?

wongecw wrote:

First and foremost , I must thank you for your patience and tireless effort helping the expat community.Its invaluable !

I understand that I do not need health insurance for renewal of my extension of stay .Copy that .

My last and only question left is that would I need health insurance on my return from overseas while I'm holding a current valid permission of stay and reentry permit ?

Yes,as long as they keep up this charade about covid-19 you'll need a US$50,000 health insurance. It must also cover covid-19. No one knows when/if everything goes back to normal. But,if you have to leave, try to do it late into your extension,if possible. You only need an insurance covering the time you have left of your extension.

Am grateful to your assistance . Tks!