Can I use my Indian Driving License in Malaysia??

Hi I need to know if I can use my local Indian Driving license in malaysia or do i need to have an International Driving license from India?

please let me know

You need to get IDL from india first, then you go JPJ for approval but it will valid for only 12months.

You cannot use your Indian driving license to drive in Malaysia per se. There is a Foreign Country Driving License Exchange program by JPJ through which you can convert your Indian license to Malaysian license. If you are residing at KL you can go to JPJ Wangsa Maju and inquire about the steps. You will be given a form and instructions on necessary documents. On submission of form and supporting documents and a waiting period of a month you will receive your Malaysian license. The fee is around 140 RM. The good thing about this program is that dependents can also avail it. The license you receive will be a Probationary Driving Licence (PDL) with validity of 2 years. After 2 years you will have to renew it at a JPJ for some minimum amount and it will be converted to Competent Driving License (CDL).
Prior to this, I was driving with my IDP (International Driving Permit) from India. I am not sure if it is legal or not. But the poilce officers who catch me approve the IDP and do not charge me with summon.
But I would suggest better to avail the Foreign Country Driving License Exchange program, after the pandemic ends, as it is temporarily closed now.

thanks a lot