Crete and Tourism

Are Big Tour Operators Sailing Crete to a Point of No Return...an interesting article today with that title on...argophilia.... by Phil Butler.As I have said before,Greece will suffer immensely from the...tourism frenzy....and many areas will be destroyed to the detriment of its original beauty,its landscapes,it natural wildlife,its eco-systems and its local inhabitants etc.. who are already barred from many of their local beautiful beaches which have been taken over by ever erupting complexes and rich peoples second play homes and this government as will any other are ramping it up to the hilt without long-term strategic planning and mindfullness of of the inevitable consequences.

One of my teachers, several decades ago expressed the view that "tourism is equivalent to prostitution". If a country has poor productive infrastructure, almost its sole source of money influx is tourism.  So is the case with Greece. For various reasons, Greece has no significant technological or industrial background and its brightest brains seek careers abroad. This is the reason so much is sacrificed in the name of tourism.

...Your teacher was wrong

Hi Vasili,I think your teacher might have been right,however tourism can work well if central and local governments get their act together with the correct type of humans employed within them who care enough or can be bothered enough to ensure the safety of the planet and the humans who live and will live upon it in the future.I find it especially alarming that Greek people are not tuned to environmental issues,they do not teach their children well,in academic subjects they pay and pay for so many years but whether their children have any soul at the end of it is doubtful.Their curriculum is not there to teach holistically or encourage the type of humans that this planet deserves.Greece did have a fair bit of industry but of course it has always been the master of the waves with its shipping and many have earned a life times wages from that.I think the EU has done a lot of damage to small industry here,it has encouraged the destruction of traditional small wooden fishing boats so as to discourage the simple low-catch fishermen who are required to stand there and watch the boat being destroyed,get the certificate of proof and then run along to be handed a paltry sum of money,and that pathetic  act  is supposed to leave more fish in the sea while the big boys catch by sonar and huge nets.Since the crisis the EU Dogs have pushed Greece into extreme tourism and to sell off too much at cheap rates to the Chinese.In fairness many of the takeovers such as Frapport,the German company, with the regional airports have made fantastic improvements which were badly needed and unfortunately because of Greece having very poor management ability and history like most Mediterranean countries the Chinese have vastly improved Greek major ports  which of course serves their future goals,what ever they may be.Greece has such opportunities with some areas having a unique micro climate that they could lead Europe in food production using biological and sympathetic methods in keeping with protecting the land and without exploiting nature which seems sometimes all that humans wish to do.

Just to say that Frapport has not bought regional airports,they have leased them at x amount rent per year,I guess the Chinese have done the same with the sea ports.

You've got it right, Concertina. You are correct in a lot of the points you make. Tourism could be a blessing if it doesn't 't corrupt people and natural resources. Greece could have more industry if it had better public management. The majority of  Greeks seek the security a public office affords, as compared to the risks productive industry involves. Politicians have always sought to secure votes instead of promoting and encouraging industrial development. I am not very optimistic about future developments, as the mentality of the overwhelming majority of Greeks does not seem to favor drastic changes in this regard.