What are the cycling options in Hanoi? Road, Gravel or MTB

I am about (in 2 months) to move to Hanoi and I am trying to work out where to live and which of my various bikes to bring along with me.

In an ideal world I would get up early and ride on quiet roads for 30-50km before work 2-3 days a week and 100km+ on a weekend. ... I'd also go Mountain Biking once a week if I could too.
[b]With Hanoi's busy roads, is this going to be possible? 
What are the best areas to live with easy access to such roads?
Can good bikes easily be bought in Vietname or should I ship mine over?

Much appreciated

Hi Lamblybuler,

You should ship your bike to Hanoi instead of buying here.

Thanks - Is that due to cost or availabilty of bikes to buy in Hanoi? 
I need a new one anyway and I'm not looking for anything too flashy ...

Plenty of good cycling around Hanoi with many clubs around Tay ho is popular cycling where you can also find many quality shops. For used bikes search on Facebook

Will be high cost. All are imported.

Robert1983 wrote:

Not really.  My husband paid 6M for his mountain bike, new, 3 years ago.  The thing is it's almost impossible to do any mountain biking here since true mountain terrain is as rare as hen's teeth.  Mountain biking here is bicycling on gentle incline at best and paved road at worst.

Ciambella wrote:
Robert1983 wrote:

Not really.  My husband paid 6M for his mountain bike, new, 3 years ago.  The thing is it's almost impossible to do any mountain biking here since true mountain terrain is as rare as hen's teeth.  Mountain biking here is bicycling on gentle incline at best and paved road at worst.

Now the price will be higher a lot, to get a good quality one should be over 1,000 USD and take time to searching. Better ship over yours.

Hi Lambybuler,
You should use road bike in Hanoi.
As I mentioned before, you can choose Vinhomes Ocean Park to stay. It is very nice place for cycling.

Here I attached links somes pictures for yours references checking

Bgds/ Robert.http://www.booking.com/Share-z8VX6r

@Robert1983: You will not be able to post a link to an external site until your posts have reached a double digit.  It's the forum's rule; sorry about that.

Many thanks for the insights Robert.

I'm thinking I'll bring my road bike over and will look to upgrade when the time is right.

Prices are not cheap in Australia either as we also import most bikes

Dear Lambybutler,

You are well come. I have great experienced with Autraslian in my previous company.
If you need anything more about Hanoi, pls let me know ***.

Bgds/ Robert.

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Kindly exchange your contact details by using the private messaging system please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

There are no BIKES for "tall" people here, i have been looking for bikes for me (im 5'11 / 180CM) for months. Even Trek who manufactures here has 0 for the last 6 months and I left mine in the US. I would also assume bikes are a little more expensive for a little less quality.
Yes you can cycle in vietnam on a road bike, mountain biking ... not many trails its all roads for the most part so dont think you will get to any single track etc. Maybe some local MTB club in hanoi knows more but I havent found anything worth note.
Carry on if possible or if you are sending a container when you move, put it in there. Do not ship it unless you are open to being taxed when it arrives.

Hanoi bike collective on Tay ho have a good selection but pricey

Thanks, that's useful to know especially as I'm 6' 2" and therefore at least a large, if not XL frame

The Hanoi Bicycle Collective seems to be able to source a good range of bike, but looking through theior website, they seem to just link to manufatures own websites and they do seem pricey. 

They also have both MTB and road bike events which is good to know

Is ordering a bike online a reasonable option?

The Hanoi Bicycle Collective

JUNE 9 - SOC SON SUNDAY
Sunday | 6am - 1pm | THBC
30kms MTB in Soc Son

Not sure where this I assume can't be too far out of Hanoi?
and a 30km of MTB track sounds interesting

Anyone ridden it?

Lambybutler wrote:

The Hanoi Bicycle Collective

JUNE 9 - SOC SON SUNDAY
Sunday | 6am - 1pm | THBC
30kms MTB in Soc Son

Not sure where this I assume can't be too far out of Hanoi?
and a 30km of MTB track sounds interesting

Anyone ridden it?

There are some locations around Soc Son area that you can try out when you have the time,
Giong statue climb (2.5km) ~10* gradient
Dong Do Lake climb (total of 20 km) mostly single track, easy-intermediate difficulty

and for your topic question
I recommend to use the gravel or mtb for a safer option, you wil get to places most of the time.... road bike will be more efficent but you may have to avoid bad roads, potholes....

Hi,

I'm moving to Hanoi in October. I'll take my bikes with me and I hope there is some bit more technical mtb near Hanoi. Soc Son seems interesting. Is there any options to go there or some other places around Hanoi by yourself without own car, guided tour or pedaling? I mean some "shuttle service" or keen mountain bikers with shared ride, taxi etc. I'm not in facebook but public Hanoi cycling club facebook does't look very active.

Hi,
I'm moving to Hanoi in October. I'll take my bikes with me and I hope there is some bit more technical mtb near Hanoi. Soc Son seems interesting. Is there any options to go there or some other places around Hanoi by yourself without own car, guided tour or pedaling? I mean some "shuttle service" or keen mountain bikers with shared ride, taxi etc. I'm not in facebook but public Hanoi cycling club facebook does't look very active.
-@Jacko3

One option is to use the GRAB rideshare app and order a 7 seater (SUV).

They should have no problem popping your bike in the back, and rates here are pretty affordable.

That's great! Looks good, thanks. Does anyone here know if there is some mtb scene in Hanoi? I mean active mountain bikers.

That's great! Looks good, thanks. Does anyone here know if there is some mtb scene in Hanoi? I mean active mountain bikers. @Jacko3

I just searched the "Hanoi Massive Official" FB group but only found ads for people selling mountain bikes.

That would be the group to join and make a post, looking for others who are looking for you 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

I did discover a FB business page for an annual event called "Vietnam Mountain Marathon" which is held in and around Sa Pa, Lao Cai, Vietnam, a little over 5 hours away from Hanoi by car.

Wishing you good luck finding at least 1 person looking to do the same activity with a group.

Cheers!

O.B.

Thanks for help. I've tried too google about mtb there but found kind of nothing. But I'll find some company.

Most people here ride road on their mtb. I only ride dirt. and its downhill. Up to a year ago, I used to ride with the national downhill boys and girls since there are no other hardcore riders in Vietnam. Now I had trained and built a small young team who mostly ride downhill and dirt jumps. We built several short DH tracks near Hoa Lac (Dong Mo). Soc Son's Dong Do and lake Ham Lon are getting worse, dusts, built-up, themes and crowd. There are 3 step-up jumps we left there. One is big deep in Dong Do forest.

So if you're interested in riding technical trails, downhill, learning jumps, kicks, drops, then contact me! I have a pickup truck for team shuttle, and occasion we go far to North West (Moc chau, Khau Pha, Ta Xua, Mu Cang Chai, ...) for long natural trails. Just 45km from Hanoi, there is Nam Vien Nam mountain (1000m), where people fly paragliding. You can get on the back of their shuttle trucks for vnd150K to the top of the mountain. Its is tough ride up (8km) and fun riding down.

Cheers!

Easy ride from Tay Ho approx 40km , east to expand for longer trips 

Tay Ho to Cau Thang Long, follow 406 to Cau Duong, down to Cau Long Bien. and back to Tay Ho 

Most people here ride road on their mtb. I only ride dirt. and its downhill. Up to a year ago, I used to ride with the national downhill boys and girls since there are no other hardcore riders in Vietnam. Now I had trained and built a small young team who mostly ride downhill and dirt jumps. We built several short DH tracks near Hoa Lac (Dong Mo). Soc Son's Dong Do and lake Ham Lon are getting worse, dusts, built-up, themes and crowd. There are 3 step-up jumps we left there. One is big deep in Dong Do forest.
So if you're interested in riding technical trails, downhill, learning jumps, kicks, drops, then contact me! I have a pickup truck for team shuttle, and occasion we go far to North West (Moc chau, Khau Pha, Ta Xua, Mu Cang Chai, ...) for long natural trails. Just 45km from Hanoi, there is Nam Vien Nam mountain (1000m), where people fly paragliding. You can get on the back of their shuttle trucks for vnd150K to the top of the mountain. Its is tough ride up (8km) and fun riding down.

Cheers!
-@Bikebaze

Hi!

I just now saw your message about mountain biking in Ha Noi. I'm interested! Right now I'm recovering of back pain injury so it takes some time when I'm able to ride again. But I will join then. I like technical stuff so sounds good. And also long natural trails. This uplift thing sounds great!

@Jacko3 Ok, you can contact me on **, or *** if you'd like to join us. We ride every weekend, but sometimes in the between too! Cheers!

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi there,

We are two New Zealanders flying into Hanoi with our gravel bikes mid October, looking to do a 10-11 day loop north from Hanoi averaging 100-150km a day. Does anyone have any recommendations for who or where we could get a bit of local input into our route planning please? Happy to pay - just not quite sure where to get local help from. Thanks for any advice, Georgia