Legal cohabitation with latin@

Hey guys,

My dutch partner and I (latin@) would like to register our partnership (legal cohabitation) here in Belgium.

He will register in Belgium but he will work in NL. I'd like to know what's the procedure to follow if I would like to get the permition to stay and work here. Also, does he need to pay taxes in both countries? Or just in the NL? Does he lose benefits from NL? Does he need to change his GP?

Please if someone has a similar experience, I'd like to read it. Information about this isn't clear everytime I look on Internet.

Thank you for reading.

Hello,

first, your significant other must register at the commune in Belgium and get the "E id card" - EU citizen living in Belgium. (1-3 months)
Once he has the id card, you can start the process.

Peru is still covid-19 ban right now, even with your visa-free peru passport.
Meaning that you'll need to request "essential travel certificate" from the belgian embassy that you'll need to give to the immigration, to allow you entering Belgium.
You can't travel without it, or immigration would throw you back in Peru + PCR test~

Of course, the embassy will want to check what you're stating: proof of relationship (stamp in both passport to see each other, pictures, booking, previous flight tickets, ...)

If he work more than 6 months per year in NL, he'll pay the social security of its place of work, same about the tax (NL) as there's an agreement between BE & NL.

Once you're in Belgium, you'll need to go together to the commune and start the process.
You'll need your birth certificate, single status certificate, criminal record. All with apostile from your foreign affair government in Peru. They must not be older than 6 months once you start the process in Belgium (sometime 7months, but it depends on the commune) + all documents must be translated in FR/NL if not in Spanish.
Check peru.diplomatie.belgium.be and https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/NL/Gids … oning.aspx

+ bring every single proof that you know each other since more than 2 years.
Pictures, flight tickets, copy of the stamps in the passport, phone call history, whatsapp, gifts, money, ...

Hi,

I'm already here but sadly I overstayed my 90 days visa.

In that case how should we proceed?

worst idea ever............

Get in touch with an immigration lawyer immediately... I mean RIGHT NOW.
And get someone from your family in Peru to send your birth certificate + single status certificate + apostille in SUPER FAST EXPRESS WAY.

and DON'T GO TO THE COMMUNE before talking to a lawyer!!!!

December24th wrote:

Hi,

I'm already here but sadly I overstayed my 90 days visa.

In that case how should we proceed?

I guess you entered the country with tourist visa. If yes, it may bring a very bad impact to your cohabitation application.

Based on my own experience, Belgium is very strict on this. My in-law got sick and not able to travel just a week before her visa expires. We had to go through a bunch of paperwork and many visits to the vreemdelingenzaken just to a few days extension. They even sent a police home to double check :/

Alex gave you a good advice already. Consult a lawyer before you take any action.

Good luck!