Moving from South Africa to Austria

My husbands company are busy with reshuffling and has indicated that they would like for him to work from their Vienna office.  I am very nervous.  I am 50, I cannot speak German, I am leaving my 2 kids here as they are at university.  So I am basically leaving my life here to move to a country I have never been to.  I am just wanting to know how hard it is to settle in, to make friends, to find a home (with space for my 2 dogs - not in the city, I am a country girl) any information or help will be great.  I am very anxious about this

Annetteb wrote:

My husbands company are busy with reshuffling and has indicated that they would like for him to work from their Vienna office.  I am very nervous.  I am 50, I cannot speak German, I am leaving my 2 kids here as they are at university.  So I am basically leaving my life here to move to a country I have never been to.  I am just wanting to know how hard it is to settle in, to make friends, to find a home (with space for my 2 dogs - not in the city, I am a country girl) any information or help will be great.  I am very anxious about this

Hey there and welcome :)

First of all, don't be nervous. Treat it as an adventure and another chapter in your life. Not knowing German isn't that much of an issue in Vienna as most people speak English. I came over from the UK 11 years ago not knowing a word of German and the only person I knew was my girlfriend.

Generally, Austrians are very friendly so making friends isn't a problem. There are a few Expat groups kicking around that meet up regularly.

I don't blame you not wanting to live in the city ;) Living in the countryside is great and public transport is fantastic, cheap and reliable. I live 30km south of Vienna and survive plus property is a lot cheaper (bought or rented). Another bonus in the country you are surrounded by vineyards. 

Errrrrm any other questions you might have feel free, to ask away.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Thanks so much for replying to me!  And your calming words!  May I ask what area you are in?  I have looked a areas around vienna to get an Idea of what to expect housewise, but was very unsuccessful!  In SA we have big gardens with lots of space....looking at what we could get there made me really sad!

Annetteb wrote:

Thanks so much for replying to me!  And your calming words!  May I ask what area you are in?  I have looked a areas around vienna to get an Idea of what to expect housewise, but was very unsuccessful!  In SA we have big gardens with lots of space....looking at what we could get there made me really sad!

Sure, I live in Lower Austria (Niederösterreich)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Austria_states_english.png/440px-Austria_states_english.png

So in Lower Austria, it is split into 21 districts

https://euroburo-lower-austria.com/graphics/Lower-Austria/map.png

I only know the south, but has a great connection to Vienna by train and a lot of people commute into the city.

So look in the districts of Mödling, Baden and Wiener Neustadt.

You have been so helpful!!! Thanks :)

For looking at property a good start is this site, sorry its in German but if you use Google Chrome browser it will translate it for you.

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/immobilien/