Dual citizen considering relocation

Hello! My two children (ages 4 and 2) and I have acquired Austrian citizenship (dual with pre-existing American citizenship) as descendants of Holocaust refugees. I've been to Vienna many times in my life (though not since 2009), and my family still owns an apartment building in Meidling (south Vienna) that we owned before WW2.

With everything going on in the US, my husband (never been out of the US before) and I are thinking about the possibility of relocating to Europe. Austria makes the most sense for us, but there are so many questions I don't even know how to start researching.

• My German can get conversational with a lot of practice, but my husband doesn't really speak.  Is it possible to find jobs for English speakers there?  How does one go about job hunting?
  • Housing?  Buy?  Rent?  We've owned two houses here in the US, and I love to garden.
  • Best location to look in?
  • Opportunities for my husband?

There are probably a ton more, but that's a good start.  Does anyone have some guidance for us? Many thanks!

Not sure where to start, 

Does your husband know about Austria and has he done the research? It might be a shock to him, and you for that matter.

Please read Guide to Austria

Austria is one of the safest countries in Europe, so it's a wise choice to move here. In the countryside where I live, I can leave my Cell phone and a packet of cigarettes on the table and they will not be touched also my wallet has fallen out of my pocket twice in my town. On each occasion, they were handed into the town hall with no cards or cash missing.

Education is not my thing as we have no children, but from what I've learnt that children of foreigners moving to a  new country learn the language very quickly. 

Not knowing German isn't so much an issue but of course, it's a bonus if you do. That being said, if you are in a small village, it can cause problems when shopping.

No Gweman you can find work as a Kitchen Porter or highly skilled IT worker.

Visiting the country and living in are 2 different things, I can only recommend that if it is REALLY what you want to do and make the jump, visit with your hubby together. So you are both happy with the move. [when I moved 15 years ago, single (kind of) I had  nothing to lose]

I would look at Lower Austria if you choose to stay, it's close to Vienna they have gardens and its cheaper. 

@SimCityAT Thank you.  There's a lot I didn't include in my original post about my family ties to Austria because it would have been too much.  My parents and I are in contact with and have visited 3rd cousins in Vienna, and we do have friends there.  I'm trying to plan a trip for me and my husband to visit towards the end of summer.

What is the immigration process like?  Three of us already have citizenship, so we don't need to get visas (my husband would), but what governmental steps need to be taken? 

I'm going to get in touch with our contact at the Austrian consulate in DC, who helped us with our citizenship paperwork, but someone suggested checking out expat forums.

Where did you emmigrate from?

@teragramrk

Hi, let me know if you have questions.

Glad to help if I can.

@asattlberger I have all the questions!

• How does one go about even starting this process?  My kids and I have citizenship, so we won't need visas (my husband would), but there's still so much red tape.
  • My German can be conversational with a lot of practice, but my husband doesn't really speak at all.  How bad would that be?
  • We have friends and distant family in Vienna, but is that the best place to look?
  • Can non-fluent German speakers get decent jobs?
  • Buy?  Rent?  We've owned two houses in the US and haven't rented in almost 10 years.

Those are good starters.  How long have you been in Austria and where did you emmigrate from?

Hello everyone,

Please be informed that I have added post 4 ad 5 to this thread as the New Members thread where they were initially posted is only meant for introduction of new members.

You will be more at ease to discuss on this thread of the Austria forum.

All the best

Bhavna

Where did you emmigrate from?
-@teragramrk

I came over from the UK