Living costs in Austria

Hi
I am looking to relocate to Austria on retirement but am unable to find any info on the running costs of a home eg fuel and electricity and local taxes such as uk community charge equivalent. Can anyone help me? Also I have seen cheap property in the Carinthia region. Why is the property cheaper there? Much obliged if anyone can help
C

Hi,

I just submitted an elaborate post on the subject on this forum: High cost of living.

Cheers
Jeff

Heya,

I live in upper Austria.  Carinthia is to the south, but it all depends where you want to reside that will dictate how expensive it will be.  For the most part the taxes are expensive....income taxes that is.  I am not sure if you have to claim your pension as income or not if you are receiving income from another coutnry, BUT land taxes are nominal..like really not much.  If you want to buy a place or a plot of land, it won't be expensive to maintain it.  For a single person, electricity will cost you between 20€-75€/mo.  I live in a small town so food and stuffisn't a big deal and nothing is really fast food here...forced to cook a lot of food..saves money for me.  It WILL be much different in a city and you will have to spend more.  My oil is included in my rent, but oil will cost you about 100€ per mo during the winter times..but that is just a guestimate.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to follow up and reply to the post.

Steve

can you direct me to a website where I can find apartments to rent???

thanks.