First impressions after moving to South Africa

Hello everyone,

You probably have vivid memories of your first weeks as an expat in South Africa. Indeed, moving to a new country is a milestone in someone's life.

Today, we invite you to share with the community how you experienced your first steps in this country.

Excitement, joy, worry: What was your main feeling when you arrived in South Africa?

How has your state of mind changed over time?

Have you called upon expatriate support associations? If so, what was their role in your local integration?

What was the impact of your new environment (climate, setting, professional environment) on your mental health?

Is it easy to socialize in South Africa? What advice would you give to newcomers to meet people, make new friends and build a strong professional network there?

Thank you for your contribution!

Have a nice day,

Diksha,
Expat.com team

I arrived in Cape Town from the UK and initially my friends were mostly English.

Things changed when I joined a local sports club. Because of common interests I made many SA friends and I found them very relaxed and sociable.

The outdoor life suits me and with Cape Town being on the coast I have, over the years, enjoyed surfing, windsurfing and offshore sailing.
The mountains are close to the central city so there are many easy hiking trails within easy reach - with amazing views of the ocean, forests, or vineyards.

Cape Town is a vibrant, cosmopolitan city and has many good restaurants, pubs, and coffee bars so there is always a chance of making new friends on the social circuit.
If you are bored on any particular weekend there are numerous wine estates within half an hour of the city which offer beautiful scenery and awesome wines.

The locals are keen sports fans and follow their top  rugby and cricket teams with a passion. The city is on the "world music circuit" so entertainers like Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, U2  and many other big names have all performed here.

The weather is almost perfect - winter now with midday temperatures of 15 - 20 C, and hot summer temperatures averaging 26 C.

So over the years I figure I have been very lucky to live in this amazing city.