Living in South Africa

You are living in South Africa, or you used to live in South Africa.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in South Africa?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in South Africa?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in South Africa?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Can i bring an electric razor or camera that i have to charge and if so what do i need.(from the United States)

Yes we have electricity!  You just need an adapter.  We have 220v and 3 round points on our plugs - not sure what you have.

So, let me guess this correct, in South Africa, it is 220 volts and three prongs for all receptacles?  Just making sure, because the U.S. runs on 110 and 2 prong that are not round but straight.;)

Yes, most have 3 round receptacles.  There are some with two, but they are also round.  You can get a plug adapter.   

Electricity in South Africa is 220 - 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. If you travel to South Africa with a device that does not accept 220 - 230 Volts at 50 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter.

There are three main types of voltage converter. Resistor-network converters will usually be advertised as supporting something like 50-1600 Watts. They are light-weight and support high-wattage electrical appliances like hair dryers and irons. However, they can only be used for short periods of time and are not ideal for digital devices.

Transformers will have a much lower maximum Watt rating, usually 50 or 100. Transformers can often be used continuously and provide better electricity for low wattage appliances like battery chargers, radios, laptop computers, cameras, mp3 players and camcorders. However, they are heavy because they contain large iron rods and lots of copper wire.

Some companies sell combination converters that include both a resistor network and a transformer in the same package. This kind of converter will usually come with a switch that switches between the two modes. If you absolutely need both types of converter, then this is the type to buy.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the info!