Spending money

Hi!

I'd like to know how much spending money you need in Cairo a month (accomodation taken care of) if you like to go out for dinners and bars a lot (let's say about 3 times a week).

How about the cost of trips ? say a weekend trip to Alexandria. I'm trying to figure out my budget....any advice welcome! Thank you, Jan

Hey Man,

Welcome to the blog and Cairo. As for your question it really depends on where you go. If ur eating at local joints like koshary places and sandwich shops on the street you can do it really cheap (like 5-10 Egyptian pounds) and ranging to +500LE if you're eating at high end places like at the 4 seasons. Since you seem like a younger guy you'll prolly hang out at mid-range places like Seqquoia or something and the min charge ranges from about 150 - 200 LE per person. As for drinking at bars, if you're planning to hit the local baladi bars downtown you can do it relatively cheap - expect about 12LE for a local beer (but keep in mind that's all they'll likely serve). If you like drinking hard drinks then the prices vary quite a bit depending on which bar you're going to and if they serve imported premium booze. My experience is that a highball (gin and tonic, rum and coke etc) averages about 40LE, with cocktails around 80LE and up. Hope this gives you an idea. My biggest recommendation is to bring lots of booze. You're allowed to buy 4 bottles of alcohol from Egyptair Duty Free within 48 hours of arriving on an international flight, totally use ur quota, it's worth it.

peace,

Hi Honzan and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will help you soon. :)

Harmonie...

Hey guys! Thank you very much the response really helped me figure out my budget! I just arrived in Cairo and I'm liking it very much!!! hope to see some of you soon!