Need to know the average monthly cost of living in Cairo

Hi everyone.

I am a Bangladeshi. Currently doing my masters in Economics in Canada. I intend to spend the summer of 2012 (May to August inclusive) in Cairo for a UNDP internship. To that end I need to know:
1. The average monthly expenses in Cairo for a single guy for: rental, food, utility and communication bills, transport, insurance and/or taxes.
2. The same if a wife accompanies him

FYI, I am quite tight on budget since I am a graduate student (limited by my University funding only).

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Cheers.

Welcome to Expat.com tan1985!;)

Harmonie.

Hi,

I recently stayed in Egypt for 9 months and i stayed in Zamalek, the most expensive area, i stayed with my wife and i spent 1500 USD per months including everything with mid level life style.

Zayed

Welcome :) ,
rental:  Zamalek is Expensive but a Luxurious place to live  rentals are between 800 to 5000 L.E & maybe more monthly  there is less than 800  but I don`t personally recommend it because it would be in a random place .. etc , it depends where you gonna stay.

food: you can go for example to "Spinneys" at City Stars which located in Nasr City and buy all what you need for a whole month also it depends on what kind of food you eat ..etc

Utility and communication bills: You can get a line from "Vodafone.com.eg or Mobinil.com or Etisalat.com.eg" and see the packages that suits you , as for Electricity: it may be around 40 to 80 L.E monthly if you don`t use A/C , with A/C it will be higher some times it reach 150 L.E , it depends on many things at your place where you live ,  Water & Gas: are pretty cheap , water is about 20 to 30 L.E monthly & kinda the same for gas as you will cook at home , you can use "otlob.com" to get delivery orders online ,

transportation: If you are using a Taxi it will be expensive , you can better use Metro (Check this post :https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=133049) or Buses which costs about 1 L.E for Metro and buses , some buses take 1.5 L.E which is pretty cheap :)

insurance and/or taxes.: I dunno about them honestly :) I pay taxes on bought stuff by default that`s all what I know lol

hope that I helped you , don`t hesitate to contact me for any further questions

Thanks everyone, especially Sheko for taking the time to answer to my queries. Really appreciate it. :)

Living in Egypt can be fairly cheap if you like to try the local dishes. I live outside Cairo, it wouldn't be a good location for you but Zamalek has everything (almost) you will need. Be aware though that you may get sick in the months you are coming. With the pollution in Cairo and the dry hot weather the air will be filled with dust also.

Make sure you try the local foods, koshary, kofta and falafels are filling and easy on the wallet too. Buy big bottles of water, they are cheap and you will need them with our heat!

Enjoy Cairo. I love it here as an American expat and couldn't imagine living anywhere else again :)

Thanks dude for your enticing info on Egyptian delicacies. Ya im hoping to enjoy them a lot. And thanks for warning me about the heat and dust. :)

Cheers.

finally, try to apply for your visa as early as possible. I am not racist but my ex-government did a lot of discrimination when it came to visas. One of my Pakistani friends who worked in the UAE as a manager in one of the biggest telecoms in the middle east always had difficulty getting visas and I heard for Bangladeshis it is more difficult ......

Sorry about that :(

Hey "Egyptian", thank you for your valuable advice regarding visa. Yes I am aware of that, so have started the visa process already for May. But could you give me a rough estimate of how much personal bank balance I need to show for a 3 month entry visa, given that my application will be accompanied by my university's letter assuring financial coverage during my stay in Egypt.

Thank you.

Cheers.

tan1985 wrote:

Hey "Egyptian", thank you for your valuable advice regarding visa. Yes I am aware of that, so have started the visa process already for May. But could you give me a rough estimate of how much personal bank balance I need to show for a 3 month entry visa, given that my application will be accompanied by my university's letter assuring financial coverage during my stay in Egypt.

Thank you.

Cheers.

No idea .....sorry I wish I could help :(

Hey bloggers,

I am thinking about taking a teaching position in Cairo. With accomodation and transportation to and from school, would $500 USD/month be enough to live on? its approximately 3500 EGP!

Thanks for your help!

I think for a foreigner hired from abroad it is not a good salary. Here you can have an idea about the cost of living: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ntry=Egypthttp://www.eardex.com/cost-of-living/ca … ge_code=en

Geely wrote:

I think for a foreigner hired from abroad it is not a good salary. Here you can have an idea about the cost of living: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ntry=Egypthttp://www.eardex.com/cost-of-living/ca … ge_code=en

Wo! The prices are quite accurate. Especially the first link! How come you keep found all kind informations and  useful webs? Are you a computer or some kind AI?

Hahaha, no I like to read a lot!
Maybe I know also how to put in words what I am looking for in Google ;)

Actually I will be making around $2000 USD/month, I was just trying to figure out how much I would be able to live off of with the idea of trying to save as much as possible. The school is paying for housing, transport to and from school, and cell phone. I would have to cover the utilities at the apartment but that and food would be my only monthly expenses. I do love to go out and have a good time, but am not trying to do it every night, probably go out to eat a couple times a week, play a round of golf, and definitely get a gym membership. I know that when it comes to traveling I'll have to shell out some more money, but I am ok with that, because I am traveling, but would $500 USD be enough for just daily living in Cairo?

Thanks bloggers, I really appreciate the help!

Kazimw.
Check out the websites that Geely mentioned. That way you will have first hand information and be able to make your own decisions.

OMG! look Your Flags!!

kazimw wrote:

would $500 USD be enough for just daily living in Cairo?

Yes, it will be enough, for me. If you don't do too much fancy Stuff, you can spend less than that.

kazimw wrote:

probably go out to eat a couple times a week, play a round of golf, and definitely get a gym membership.

That will be different case. You know, gym fee can just cost you hundreds USD.

kazimw wrote:

Actually I will be making around $2000 USD/month,

You will gain serious weight with this budget.

Geely wrote:

Maybe I know also how to put in words what I am looking for in Google

Yes, thats the key reason, and very clever. The website should pay you commission for solve people's problem, For ALL THE TIME.

hi everybady

i want to go egypt  plz can you tell me some information about  life expense of student  in cairo  or other city

Hey i think for a single guy you need minmium 4500 EGP and with you wife 6500 EGP per months. That is for good living in Cairo.
Regards from Cairo